05 KIA Spectra ATF & Coolant change

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coworker was told she needed a coolant and ATF flush at oil cab henry's. She asked me to do it for a significant savings. Her car is on '05 Kia Spectra.

Her owners manual specifies Diamond ATF SP-III or SK ATF SP-III.
Cold anyone tell me what that translates to in NAPA products? The book shows a drain plug in the aluminum case with no pan, I assume there is no filter in the case, could there be an OE a spin on filter?

Th book also simply states an "ethylene glycol base for aluminum radiators" in the coolant spec chart. Any insight to this, perhaps just an asain formula? I do like the prestone all makes all models myself.

Isn't Prestone all makes and models equivalent to Dex-Cool?

NAPA should have the correct Ethylene Glycol available.

I would obtain the ATF fluid from a dealer price difference would not be all that great.

The major part of having the dealer to the drain and refills is the cost of labor.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Thank you, but dealer is not an option. Ive already found my answer researching.

the sp-III or equals can be found at any hyunndai/kia/misthubishi dealer. prices may vary wildly.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

the sp-III or equals can be found at any hyunndai/kia/misthubishi dealer. prices may vary wildly.

Thats over 75 miles 1 way. Not gonna happen. I dont mean to rag, but why can people not post an answer within the parameters of the posted question? I will be buying from napa period.

Last edited:
I spent all of yesterday researching SP-III alternatives and have come to some conclusions. First, it seems that SP-III is an inferior spec, and can easily be replaced with something better, with better meaning almost any multi-vehicle fluid. SP-III oxidizes and shears very early and easily compared to the replacements. Price and availability are obvious factors as well.

IMG_7824-vi_zps180a31fd.jpg

Originally Posted By: Saabcentral forums

THOMAS R. SMITH
Vice President, Branded Lubricant Technology
Ashland Consumer Markets
August 22, 2011
To Whom It May Concern:
MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic designed to meet the needs of the broadest range of transmission designs. MaxLife ATF recommendations are based on a combination of field testing and laboratory testing.
Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF. Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.
• Allison TES 389, C-4
• ATF 3403 M115
• Audi/VW G-052-025-A1/A2, G-055-025, G-052-162-A1/A2, G-055-005-A1/A2, G-055-162, G-060-162-A1/A2
• BMW LT71141, LA2634, M-1375.4 fluids
• Ford MERCON
• Ford FNR5
• Ford MERCON® V
• Ford MERCON® SP
• MERCON® LV
• GM 9986195
• GM DEXRON® II, III and VI
• Honda/Acura ATF-Z, DW-1 (except in CVTs)
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, and SPH-IV
• Jaguar JLM20238, LT71141
• JWS 3309
• KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids
• KIA Red 1
• MAN 339 Type F
• Mazda M-V
• Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.9, MB236.10
• Mercedes Benz NAG-1
• MOPAR AS68RC ATF
• Miscellaneous OEMs – M1375.4
• Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
• Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, and Matic-S
• Saab 93 165 147
• Subaru ATF
• Subaru ATF-HP
• Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
• Toyota WS (except Hybrid vehicles)
• Voith H55.6336.33 (G1363), H55.6335.33 (G607)
• Volvo 1161521 and 1161540, and STD 1273.41
• VW TL52162
• ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L, 17C
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty. The following is an extract from the Federal Trade Commission’s web site on interpretation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.
In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have
scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.
Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications. In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.
While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, wear protection and anti-shudder protection. Many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance in newer transmissions.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) unless specifically noted nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.
Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Vice President, Branded Lubricant Technology
Ashland Consumer Markets

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf[color:#CC0000][/color]

As far as coolant goes, the Asian formulas are 50/50 premix, costing 100% more, while distilled water is only $0.99/gallon. I have been running Prestone AM/AM in my 96 Maxima for a couple of years with no issues.

Last edited:
I ran out of time to edit my last post, I will be running the Maxlife if that isn't obvious.
Prestone AM/AM is phosphate, silicate, borate, and nitrite free. This is a perfect match for my Nissan and most Asian imports that are heavy on aluminum components.
I would not call it analogous to Dex-cool, although it is compatible. I will be replacing the Dex-cool in the Uplander with the AM/AM.

coolant.jpg

coolant2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back