New Roku 3 ...thinking about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the Roku 3 compare to using a laptop connected via HDMI to a TV? I'm currently using a two-year old Acer to view NetFlix and Amazon Prime - what would be the benefit to getting the Roku?

Originally Posted By: Touring5
How does the Roku 3 compare to using a laptop connected via HDMI to a TV? I'm currently using a two-year old Acer to view NetFlix and Amazon Prime - what would be the benefit to getting the Roku?

The benefit is that it's a dedicated device, so the signal quality is not dependent on how many resources your computer can devote to streaming at any one moment. At least for Amazon Prime, once you know what you want to watch, it's easier to navigate through the menus to pick your show/movie.

Another benefit, at least for me, was that the laptop HDMI ports I've used on my and my wife's HP laptops were very finicky, and would take a bit of wiggling to work. If we then bumped the laptop it would interrupt the signal. The Roku does not have this problem since it's stationary under the TV.

It also seems to do better at streaming HD content than either of our laptops. The things available in HD and standard-definition are more often in HD than in standard-def. It's a nice bonus.

If you stream a few shows a night, I'd recommend one.

I have used HDMI on my netbook and my main laptop to the TV occasionally. The TV itself is a 1080p, and and depending on the source, it looked very good, but like sciphi said, a dedicated device does the same job a LOT better.

I however, had no problems with connectivity or hardware; both my Acer netbook and the Lenovo had solid HDMI jacks, and they connected really well.

If you don't already have a Blu-ray player, consider one of the new Samsung Blu-ray players. They have the "Smart Hub" which has almost all of the same streaming services as the Roku. You can also install some apps to it like Facebook, Picasa, etc. It has a front USB port so you can plug a flash drive in and watch videos from there too.

I bought one last week and it's pretty sweet. Very modern interface. Responsive and reliable.

When I was looking for a streaming box, I looked hard at some of the "smart" Blu-ray players. My only hesitation with them is that they don't have the same amount of content available. Roku seems to be an extremely popular device, and so a lot of channel apps are available for it. Most of the majors (Netflix, Hulu, etc) are available for most devices, but Roku has some additional channels that we find very useful. One of them is Nowhere TV. It's not listed in the channel store; you have to go to the website and manually add it to your Roku.

http://thenowhereman.com/roku/

This is the same reason we haven't bought (yet) an Apple TV, even though we have two iPhones, an iPad, and an iMac. At this point, the content available on the device is just too limited compared with its competitors.

My "dream" is to see a Blu-ray player manufacturer hook up with Roku and embed a Roku player within the Blu-ray player. You'd be able to access all Roku channels (because it's actually a Roku device), but you'd also be able to play BDs with the same box.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My "dream" is to see a Blu-ray player manufacturer hook up with Roku and embed a Roku player within the Blu-ray player. You'd be able to access all Roku channels (because it's actually a Roku device), but you'd also be able to play BDs with the same box.

Now, THAT would be the bomb!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Now, THAT would be the bomb!

The Samsung Smart Hub Blu-ray players give you about 98% of the Roku's streaming content. Only thing it doesn't have is HBO Go, though almost nothing has that. Has Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD, Netflix, Blockbuster, Vudu, and about 50 others.

Check out the details here. I just bought this one:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-F7500/XU

I'm still liking the Roku 3. Having a laptop nearby to figure out what to watch then pointing the Roku at it is much easier than figuring out what to watch using the Roku's interface. I figured that would be the case, so not a big issue to me.

And, hard-wiring it seems to work out nicely. Then it's not competing with other devices for limited wireless bandwidth. The few and rare streaming hiccups it's had have been results of Amazon-related problems, not Roku problems.

Originally Posted By: Touring5

The downsides are you cannot get as much free content if you have no cable. I found stuff that is on Hulu is free on laptop but costs for Hulu+ on a device.

We tried to drop cable but my wife's daily vice of watching a soap opera (she does hour show in 20mins skipping thru on DVR) was not available on any streaming except PC.

I re-read the cnet article, and never saw any mention of specific Roku models - so I am assuming Twonky beam works with Roku 2 also...

Just try it and see.

EDIT: per the official Twonky website, this works with "Roku Players" - so I am pretty sure it works with all Rokus.

Remember that by default the streaming quality is set to 'medium', so if you have a Roku model that can stream HD video, you have to set the beaming quality to 'HD' (or HIGH QUALITY or whatever) on the Twonky Beam APP on your iphone/android.

Thanks tbird-

I still haven't bought a Roku yet.... not sure what I'm waiting for, I just don't watch a lot of TV in the summer... no time.

Another Roku related question. If I join Amazon Prime for $79 a year, I can watch all of the "Prime Eligible" TV shows and movies for free through a Roku.

I've already decided that I'm not going back to cable.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Thanks tbird-

I still haven't bought a Roku yet.... not sure what I'm waiting for, I just don't watch a lot of TV in the summer... no time.

Another Roku related question. If I join Amazon Prime for $79 a year, I can watch all of the "Prime Eligible" TV shows and movies for free through a Roku.

I've already decided that I'm not going back to cable.

That's what I'm doing as I type this.

Yep - even the non prime Movies are only $3 or 4 to watch. Beats theaters, and if you have a good HDTv and a Roku 3 (or whatever roku or BR player than can stream HD).

Even the Amazon Prime free TV and movie selection is a lot, and it's growing, PLUS with Prime, you get free 2 days shipping on a LOT of items you buy from amazon. And about 95% of what I buy is Prime eligible. That alone is worth thr $79 / year IMO.

Yep - even the non prime Movies are only $3 or 4 to watch. Beats theaters...

I haven't been to a theater since 2004. No need.

We only go on an 'occasion' - probably about 3 times in the last 2 years. Otherwise, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

We only go on an 'occasion' - probably about 3 times in the last 2 years. Otherwise, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

There has been nothing that I felt required a trip to the theater to see. So I guess that means that I'll be getting my money's worth from Prime.... since I have about 8-9 years to catch up on...

The last movie I saw in the theater was 'Ladder 49', and that movie was bad enough that I still remember it being 'the last one'.

However, now that I do have an IMAX about 2 miles from my house...

My house has been off cable for a few months ago, and with the addition of an antenna for OTA signals, we love it. Ironically, one could easily watch more TV from a streaming device than from cable. I have a ton of series on my instant queue in Netflix...shows like Myth Busters, Top Gear UK, Build it Bigger, etc. This is hours/days/weeks of programming available at the touch of a button. Sure, it'll take me years to watch it all only doing a show every day or every other day, but the point is, you can watch what you want, when you want, and don't have to worry about DVRs filling up or if a network show time gets bumped due to the NCAA playoffs or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back