Questions about Toyota Celica GT/GTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions/concerns about the celica. Long story short I use to own a 2001 GT model, but only for a month b/c it burned oil bad, CEL light was on, not a fun time.

I've been reading on different forums that the piston problems resulting in oil burning was fixed on the 2003 and newer models of the GT. I also read that the GTS never had oil burning issues. Is there anyone that knows more about this and can confirm or deny this?

And one more thing- How are the automatic transmissions in these? My 01 was a stick. Just wondering which model is best, etc.

I told myself after I sold the celica that I would never look at another one ever again. But here I am eating my words. I just love the way they look so much, and the seats are so comfortable, gah!

So any info is very much appreciated and welcomed!

I thought the oil consumption problem was typically stuck ring(s)on the 1ZZ-FE

Kreen or SeaFoam piston soak should help.

Thanks KitaCam Ill check that site out. From what I've read it sounds like there were a few issues- return holes that would clog up, rings would gum up and stick and something about the piston being too small and the rings too large causing the oil to slip passed the rings and burn in the chamber. Either way I don't want to get one that has these problems if I can help it. Thus why I'm asking people I trust.

Totally off topic, but this was on a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode - somehow Larry ends up selling cars, and a customer asks what GT stands for. Larry replies "Great Tremendous." So the customer then asks that GTS stands for, and he says "Great Tremendous Safety."
grin.gif

I have a 2004 celica gt and has 108,000 miles on it. I've used synthetic oils since new and now I do 6-8k oil change intervals or 1 year. NEVER used ANY oil.

I don't know about the Celica but I do know that the 1ZZFE in later Corolla's (2003 or 2004 on) didn't have the oil burning issues.
Apparently they figured out the problem with the rings.

Haha Dishdude thats funny!!
laugh.gif
Thank you for more info pbm. If its the same engine and year, I would *think* that if the corollas were fixed then the celicas would be too.

Rcbc96- If I were to get one, I would run full syn in it, most likely PU 5-30 b/c I have a huge stash of it, that I use in my saturn.

Any full syn will work. I currently use 0w30 amsoil signature and change it once a year which equates to normally 7,000 miles or a little more.

Thanks pbm...Its starting to sound like all 1zz-fe engines are doomed to the oil burning life.
frown.gif
Such a shame too, that cars body looks awesome imo.

Originally Posted By: rcbc96
I have a 2004 celica gt and has 108,000 miles on it. I've used synthetic oils since new and now I do 6-8k oil change intervals or 1 year. NEVER used ANY oil.

rcbc96 does your celica have the new longer dipstick? The link that pbm sent me said that there was a tsb for taking out the original dipstick and then putting a new longer one in. Just thought if you are putting 1/2 qt more oil in per oil change then that could be helping you stay clear of running the oil too low and burning up the rings.

Not sure if it does or not. It's the factory dipstick and mine holds 4 quarts of oil with new filter

I used to own a 2001 Celica GT. I sold it at 85k last year. At that point, it had been burning 1 qt every 3-4k. Not bad by any means, and definitely not as bad as other 1zz's that never ran syn or had frequent oil changes. It was an automatic and an MPG beast, hit 40 mpg regularly all highway. The auto was a 4 speed that worked perfectly fine, only thing is you'd have to mash to tell it to drop out of overdrive from a highway cruise. But I liked that, hate how most auto trans today are really eager to drop out of overdrive if you slightly want to go faster.

I sold it for a 102k 2000 celica gts 6sp last Aug. The 2zz-ge engines had never had any oil consumptions ever. They did, however, come with lift bolts that break in the 00-early 02 years. An updated liftbolt was issued and the problem stopped. If you find a celica gts in the 00-01 years, make sure it lands in lift on the test drive. Replace it if you buy it, immediately. Replacing the bolt is simple, remove the valve cover and it's right there. Fixing the broken bolt involves pulling both cams out. With the bolt broken, the car is perfectly drivable except that it never engages the second, high performance cam, which defeats the purpose of having a 2zz. Also, DO NOT get an automatic celica gts. There's lots out there, but it's horrific with the 2zz.

Wow thanks for the info cutter! Ill be sure not to buy an auto gts. I think im just going to stay away from the first couple of years 01-02 for the gts and gt. They just seem to have the most trouble, and Ive already been burnt by buying a Cr@ptastic 01 gt. I lost a LOT of money on that car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lillikai
Wow thanks for the info cutter! Ill be sure not to buy an auto gts. I think im just going to stay away from the first couple of years 01-02 for the gts and gt. They just seem to have the most trouble, and Ive already been burnt by buying a Cr@ptastic 01 gt. I lost a LOT of money on that car.

Actually, the earliest USDM 00 GTS 6sp is the most desirable (with lift bolt upgrade/fix). Its ECU allowed revs to 8350 RPM before fuel cutoff. Some report up to early 01 models, but 00 is the definite. Afterwards, from 01-02 and up, it was lowered to a 7800 RPM cut off.

Edit: Just thought it over, the most desirable would be an 02 GTS (has wider shift gates for easier shifting) with an 00 GTS ECU swapped in. I'd take that over the 00 i have. 03's and after came with DBW and cannot take the ECU swap, and also they look like a catfish with the facelift.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that they do look like a catfish lol! Ive decided to just sit back and watch posts on craigslist, autotrader, etc. Let my "play" money build up. But im still going to keep my eyes peeled, so im not rushing into a bad deal. Thanks for all the info, its very much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back