2002 F350 5.4l v8 triton Air Filter ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have recently acquired a 2002 f350 5.4l v8 4x4 for work and beach fishing. 117k miles.

In doing alot of my own maintenance on vehicles (except for that mistake of an AUDI A6 I just unloaded) I am very concerned with using top quality replacement and maintenance parts.

Where I am coming from is that for this particular ford engine (I do have a 1998 triton f150 with 330,000 miles on it) in reading I found that using anything other than a motorcraft filter is strongly not advised. I read in depth and from what I see I wont be using a diff brand (maybe a wix but for the price the fl820s seems a no brainer with mobil 1 synthetic.

After doing an oil change at 118k and now nearing 119k I decided to replace the air filter but can't find an auto parts store with the motorcraft filter in stock. I decided to pick up a FRAM air filter (extra guard) at walmart. The filter I removed was a little dirty but honestly not that bad, it appeared to be a fram filter (same as one I just bought) but was stamped carquest on it (and a bunch of serial #'s).

I know alot of people dislike fram oil filters, especially for this model truck, what about the air filters?

Something like K&N I have never been a fan of, I dont like oiled filters.

What should I be looking for as far as a great replacement air filter that will not let me down?

Thanks for all of your help, great forum!

JC

I'd stick with any of the paper filters -- they should offer long service life and good fine-dust filtration capabilities without breaking the bank.

Fram gets a bad rap but how many millions of miles have been wracked up on vehicles using their filters? Plenty. Hating on Fram is like hating on the NY Yankees, Miami Heat, etc...

Im betting you don't put a fram on your M3, just like I didnt on my Audi A6 4.2l. I have crushed too many frams removing them to every buy one again. They just seem to be made as cheaply as possible. I wear $400 redwing boots, longevity and quality of manufacture matter to me.

The fact that millions of miles have been clocked on "made as cheap as we can" filters really means just that, nothing to a sensible person.

JC

Last edited:
Fram makes very cheap stuff (which is generally what gets the bad rap, and probably deservedly so) all the way up to expensive stuff. That's why I don't like condemning an entire company's product. It's like Toyota building one car of mediocre reliability, and suddenly claiming, "All Toyotas are unreliable."

[Un?]fortunately you can really only get Mann/Purolator, Mahle, or Hengst for German cars. So yes, we're a bit spoiled, but we also have to pay a lot more.

In the end it's your vehicle and your money. If you want to say "I'll never use Fram", that's your right.

If the fram clone is fine leave it in. If you want to go to a better filter I would check to see if Amsoil makes one for your truck and go with that.

Try a purolator pureone PA34878. It's a little more expensive but higher quality than the fram and you should get a longer interval than standard paper. Those engines don't have air filter gauges do they?

No air filter gauge and I really dont feel like drilling holes to install one...

I was looking at the purolator as well, going to take a closer look.

Amsoil is intriguing as well...
Thanks all.

JC

My reason for not using nor recommending anything fram is because they do have that reputation. There is a higher chance of failure with a fram vs. another brand.

In my opinion, I don't want to be that one person who gets snagged by a bad fram product.
Yes, it can happen with Purolator, Wix, even Motorcraft, etc.. but I feel my chances are higher that it won't.

I don't want to be a statistic!

Not a fan of fram oil filters, but the quality of their air filters are as good as any of the other brands. They are also a good price at wally world.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Not a fan of fram oil filters, but the quality of their air filters are as good as any of the other brands. They are also a good price at wally world.

Yeah nothing wrong with their air filters. Paper air filters are hard to screw up as long as the seal is the right size. Paper media is still paper media though.

I would not hesitate to use a Fram air filter. I'm using one now. I don't like their oil filters, but that's a debate about cost versus construction quality more than anything else.

Their air filters are well constructed and I get them at a very nice price.

Get any decent brand name dry filter, install an intake tract vacuum gage, and run it out!

I, too, like Fram air filters. Of the typical complaints about the OCOD, typically about construction, they don't apply to an air filter. I've got nothing but praise for a Fram air filter. They even have an upgraded media air filter, but not for all applications. (Air Hog, or something named similar to that ?....)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back