07 F250 6.0L Amsoil HDD 5w30 11,318 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to see how far I could run the Amsoil HDD in my 2007 F250 with a 6.0L diesel. I sampled it at 5,587 miles and it looked great(that's the immediate previous results on the UOA). After that sample I added 8oz of Rev-X additive just to see what it would look like in an oil sample. I don't have any romping problems in my engine, just curious about Rev-X more than anything. Well I lost my nerve after a long 2,260 road trip done in 4 days and with the coming hot summer, I changed the oil. Looks like a waste, could have gone longer.

What do y'all think?

This will be good.
35.gif

I normally say NO to extending oil changes because of the injection system on the mighty 6.0. Extending oil changes BEYOND 5k miles is ignorant considering the cost of the injectors on the 6.0 Use a 0w40 or 5w40 synthetic that is a HDD oil and change it OFTEN a 6.0 is NOT one to extend them on. Oh and use ONLY the MC oil filter 2016. That uoa SHOWS NOTHING ABOUT INJECTOR STRESSES!
But hey it's your money.
+1 on EGR delete
Edit: Roy doesn't have ANY 6.0 experience or he wouldn't say that.
$2,000 for STOCK replacement injectors. Yea extend the oil changes but keep $2,000 in the bank for injectors

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. The additive helped your tbn (I think) and your right about going longer however peace of mind is important. But now you know how far you can push the oil which means money well spent

What Clevy should have said is DO NOT EXTEND OIL CHANGES ON THAT 6.0 BECAUSE IT WILL COST YOU A LOOOOOOOOOOOT OF MONEY YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE.
Spend so time on the dieselstop.com. they will set you straight. not these people offering advise on something they know NOTHING about.

I do not see that significant of a difference in the 5,500 mile change and the 11,000 mile oil that would stress the injectors. TBN is still good, insolubles didn't increase much, wear metals are still good and oil viscosity is good. Exactly what is it that eats up the injectors?

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
What Clevy should have said is DO NOT EXTEND OIL CHANGES ON THAT 6.0 BECAUSE IT WILL COST YOU A LOOOOOOOOOOOT OF MONEY YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE.
Spend so time on the dieselstop.com. they will set you straight. not these people offering advise on something they know NOTHING about.

Just commenting on the data presented so if your implying I know nothing about it to be honest your not far off HOWEVER I do have a few years experience with the interna ahem ford 6.0 engine and the only time injector issues presented themselves in the 4 I oversaw was when they were driven like a senior citizen on Sunday,and 2 stroke oil was also of benefit.
Those motors run fine and will last forever if you delete the DPF and drive them hard. Get the fuel pressure up,get some velocity running through the cylinders and in my experience the 6.0 will be fine.
We did have a turbo replaced under warranty but only 1 of 4 had a problem.
Its funny when I think about it. The guys beat the carp out of those trucks and not a single problem,the one my boss/wife drove as their grocery getter and to pull a lone horse trailer had injector and turbo issues.
Coincidence?

Clevy, I don't think you are talking about a 6.0L. It never had a DPF. You sir are thinking of another engine.

to all: PLEASE read about the injection system before spouting HORRIBLE info that is going to cost the OP money.
DON"T EXTEND beyond 5k miles period if you want it to last.

mine runs near the factory rev limiter for 30 minutes or more at a time and will get 80-100% throttle starts every time I take off. It is hooked to a trailer that weighs between 11,000lbs- 36,000lbs or it has 5,000lbs in the bed EVERY TIIME I DRIVE IT>
RUNS PERFECT!

Last edited:

Ok, I've heard that before. So look at the two left columns of results(it's the same oil) and tell me how the oil go so bad in the run from 5,500 to 11,318 that it is going to grenade my injectors. Just don't see it myself, but am open to input.

Oil could have gone longer for sure. I've seen some excellent examples of HDD, and this is another one. Leave the additive out the next time; it's hard to know what to credit here with finite assurance.

I see no correlation between OCI and injector life cycle. I challenge anyone to show a study (not anecdotal garage guessing) which exhibits causation directly linked to OCI.

I, too, know several folks that have 6.0PSDs and it seems those who leave them stock and work them hard, have fewer problems with injection. The dreaded oil cooler plugging is a different topic as it is not biased; it will attack just about all of them. And that problem cascades downhill into all kinds of other issues.

Clevy, I don't think you are talking about a 6.0L. It never had a DPF. You sir are thinking of another engine.

to all: PLEASE read about the injection system before spouting HORRIBLE info that is going to cost the OP money.

mine runs near the factory rev limiter for 30 minutes or more at a time and will get 80-100% throttle starts every time I take off. It is hooked to a trailer that weighs between 11,000lbs- 36,000lbs or it has 5,000lbs in the bed EVERY TIIME I DRIVE IT>
RUNS PERFECT!

Sorry DR. I confused dpf with egr.
Your right the 6.0s didn't have them however the egr system was a total nightmare. The uoa with before the egr was "modified" and the trucks were tuned the oil was burned up in the 3 we had for crummies around 5000 miles. Once the egr was "fixed" the oil didn't have as much exhaust gas polluting it and it was good for longer

With the viscosity reading at 9.65 you're at the bottom end of the 30 wt. range I wouldn't advise extending any further.

With that being said everything else looks great, and with fe being at 27, obviously there isn't anything but "normal wear" going on with this sump load.

With my 6.0 I have gone 7,500mi. OCI since new (currently 178,000mi.) with never a hiccup in an UOA. I've also been running 10w-30 since the 82,500 mi OCI.

I hear constantly that with the 6.0 yoou have to change at 5,000mi. or less, and quite honestly its just not true as prior to my current truck ('07) I had an '04 6.0 which I drove over 100,000 mi. prior to trading to my current which also went 7,500 OCI, which is what is listed in the owners manual.

Your UOA looks fine and quite possibly could have went to 12,000mi., and now you have a baseline set for extending the next OCI.I have never been a believer in the oil additives recommended for the 6.0, and there are many, you're already using a high dollar oil and I don't see the advantage of diluting the add-pack , and spending extra money.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I have never been a believer in the oil additives recommended for the 6.0, and there are many, you're already using a high dollar oil and I don't see the advantage of diluting the add-pack , and spending extra money.

Honestly, I was just curious. This is the first additive I've put in this engine and I couldn't tell the difference. A friend of mine has a diesel repair shop and sells Rev-X, just thought I'd give it a try. Don't need it in my engine and will not use it again.

Roadrunner,
It is true! keep a 6.0 for 200k and then tell me how many injectors you went through..
Get a coolant filter on the 6.0 ASAP casting sand was a bear on the 6.0. I'm waiting for some Honda praising Toyota Prius driver to tell me different.
Best mods to get a 6.0 to live:
EGR delete
Coolant filter
Head studs
FICM relocation
Cleaner port on the turbo if yours if factory
2 Micron fuel filter
Fuel pressure regulator work
GAUGES
AND RUN IT HAAAARD
It will last a LOOONG time.
These mods are just to increase reliability and do NOTHING for power

Edit: Roy doesn't have ANY 6.0 experience or he wouldn't say that.

I am not a 6.0 expert, but I am familiar with the 6.0 injector problems, cold idle "hunting", EGR cooler problems, etc.

Back to the oil report that started the thread. Mileage is one thing, engine hours and gallons of fuel consumed are another. This particular oil report looks like the engine spent a lot of time at steady-state temperature, and the average speed over the course of the run is probably higher than average. There is nothing in this oil report to make me think the oil he drained out could not be run longer. A coworker of mine had some serious injector problems with a 6.0, and I'm sure his use of low-bid mineral lubricants and frequent short trips didn't help. Any combination of things that leads to varnish/deposits on the "oil side" of the injector can make things stick/hang up, and things go downhill from there. In some cases 5,000 miles might be too long, in others 15,000 might be fine...it depends on lubricant choice, engine & fuel system condition, and of course the way the engine is used.

The AMSOIL product in question is a very good product, and seems to be doing very well for the OP. As long as contaminates and oxidation don't sharply increase (and the truck continues to be driven the same way), I don't see why the oil could not be run farther...but we will probably have to agree to disagree.

Get a coolant filter, losing the G-05 for an ELC would also help with the oil cooler issue. The general reason for turbo problems is the sticking of the variable vane turbo when a 6.0 isn't worked hard, keeping up with the fuel filter changes and using good diesel helps with the injectors. I got 250K plus out of a 6.0 PSD beating the dog snot out of it with Speedway diesel fuel & Valvoline PBX, still had original turbo when the TorqShift finally grenaded.

We're getting somewhat off-topic here, but I have had a coolant filter for over 100,000 mi. along with John Deere Coolgard II coolant.
Everything else on my truck is original, including injectors.

I am well aware of the reputation these engines have as i have been driving one since late '03, but quite honestly I haven't experienced any of the issues with either 6.0 I have owned, with my current truck being the best maintainence-free truck I've ever owned.

Bullwinkle how did you grenade the torqshift? They're supposed to be the strong point of the truck.

I forgot but I did have to replace the FICM a few years ago as I drained the batteries while up north in -30f pumping fuel from my transfer tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back