Wagner Rotor - BD125507 /Any better than whitebox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at picking up a set of Wagner BD125507 rotors from advance auto parts with a store credit i have, and i am wondering if they are any better than the regular Wearever rotors.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_brake-rotor-wagner_15800331-p

VS.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...ont+brake+rotor

I found a review on amazon of the same rotor from 2011 stating it was made in china, which is going to be the same as the house brand rotor. Should i expect the Wagner be any different quality of machining or metal?

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-BD125507-Di...howViewpoints=1

It appears both rotors do not come with any rust coating, but i am kind of limited by price and using the store credit at advance. I am also using the coupon code so spending very little out of pocket here with the $40 off $100 code.

I believe Wagner rotors, while also made in china like most all rotors now, are better quality than whitebox. The ones I've used worked well. Chinese rotor brands vary in quality and checks. Wagner while not coated, claims meeting OE dimensions and casting alloy and mill balancing. I wouldn't use a rotor that doesn't state it was mill balanced.

I really liked the Wagners I got a few weeks ago for my SC. They did seem a better quality than random white box AAP/AZ parts.

I just don't want to pay $20 more per rotor for the same thing in a different box. They do carry a limited lifetime warranty which i guess should cover the cost if they replace them when they get warped.

Does anyone know if painting the rotor hub will void the limited lifetime warranty?

Looks like it's not able to sell me things that aren't in stock unless I ship to my home address so I wouldn't be able to use the coupon code plus my store credit unless I pick it up in person. .
I guess I'm just going to get some wearever platinum pads and pad the order with some filters til I hit the max of $40 off $100.

I'd still like to know if anyone else knows that Wagner is any different than in house rotors in metal quality.

Several different store mgr's at my local AAP's, have told me the their WearEver Rotors come from the same factory as the Wagner Rotors and are the exact same rotor(w/o the extra 1 yr warranty). They claim that the extra money is in the name on the box and the extra warranty.

I have purchaced both the WE's & Wag's from AAP and have gotten different(only slightly) rotors in both brands from box to box meaning, they came from different factorys...Same for Rock Auto when I bought Wagners, both front rotors were slightly different in the "hat area".

OTOH, I have gotten both WE's or Wag's being the same as well from box to box in either brand. Not comparing the two different brands with one another, I am comparing the same brand with each other!

The mgr's seem to know quite a bit about the rotor mfg's and where they're located around the world and what brands they make. Today they say, so many rotors are mfg'd all at once, put into white boxes, thrown on a pallet to be distributed to a variety of warehouses around the country and then labeled w/company name/warranted accordingly.

NOW, I don't have anything to substanciate this, it's only the converstaions that I have had with several store managers as well as others(Tech's/Mgr's) in different shops around town.

There may be certain specifications that several brands of rotors may require from these rotor manufactures such as Centric, Brembo etc. such as the shape of their vents or specific coatings or rotor thickness and, these are things to compare, which I have done in the stores.

And they(store mgr's) don't know which rotor brands actually mfg their own rotors.

I have had, e.g. the AAP counter person bring out two different brands of rotors for comparison and sometimes there are differences but, most of the time they're the same(by eye)!

I have Advance Wearever rotors on the back of my Sonata and Raybestos Pro rotors on the front.

Both are made in China and both apparently lack any obvious coating or paint to prevent rust. Both were installed at the same time two years ago. Both are made in China.

But, the Wearever rotors seem to be getting considerably rustier than the Raybestos rotors.

Now, I suppose there could be something different about the application (front vs. rear) that could be causing the rears to get rustier.

The best rotors to get are the Centric Premium. They have a black coating on the rotor hat to deter rust. This really comes in handy the next time you need to take the wheels off.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The best rotors to get are the Centric Premium. They have a black coating on the rotor hat to deter rust. This really comes in handy the next time you need to take the wheels off.

I would get those or the high carbon 125 series Centric rotors. When I worked at Sears and we used Wagner, they were just Chinesium white box.

I guess your just paying for the lifetime warranty then, but that would pay for itself after one time so not a bad way to go. I'm sure with most auto parts batches can vary from Chinese origin to various others depending on who has the lowest bid.

I guess your just paying for the lifetime warranty then, but that would pay for itself after one time so not a bad way to go. I'm sure with most auto parts batches can vary from Chinese origin to various others depending on who has the lowest bid.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I would get those or the high carbon 125 series Centric rotors. When I worked at Sears and we used Wagner, they were just Chinesium white box.

I have the Centric Premium w/ Black E-Coat rotors on my danghter's Mazda3 all around. I had to replace one early as it developed a pulsation in about 3-4 months(Centric Warranty is only 90 Days). I replaced it with a WearEver. It's been great for over 1 year.

PebBoys ProLine(kind'a expensive) has a premium rotor that has the black coating on the vents and hats and is advertised as having High Carbon. I wonder if Centric make them and ProLine puts their name on'em!

Last edited:
Proline is what my father in law just got off ebay for his regal with the same size rotors. It was only $50 for a pair and they were black coated on hub and vents with cross drilling. I think they were made in China but felt OK quality.

I can get the centric off rock auto for $33 each.

Rockauto also has oes ac delco for $40 on wholesale closeout, but unfortunately I'm not buying the rotors for at least three weeks so I'm sure they will be sold out.

I am intrigued by the oes rotors they appear to be entirely coated in a grey colored metal. Does anyone know what this grey metal is? Is it superior to black?

I have Wagner Rotors on my wife's Lexus right now. Put'em on Memorial Day Weekend 2012(1 yr ago). They're fine too and I got'em at Rock Auto.

I would be interested in hearing what pads you guys are using with the wagners to determine if cheap pads are causing the issue of short life.

For those of you who aren't having issues I'd also like to know either way. I'm set on getting wearever platinum right now unless someone wants to discuss it. I might as well get something with my in store credit.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I would be interested in hearing what pads you guys are using with the wagners to determine if cheap pads are causing the issue of short life.

For those of you who aren't having issues I'd also like to know either way. I'm set on getting wearever platinum right now unless someone wants to discuss it. I might as well get something with my in store credit.

I love ceramic brake pads!

Currently, I am using(wife's '01 Lexus), Wagner Rotors with Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads on all 4 wheels. The Centric Ceramic have a darker brake dust but, it's easy to clean

Prior to that setup, I used BREMBO Rotors w/ Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic on all 4 and prior to that was all OE.

I would love to know how the PepBoys ProStop Rotors w/ WearEver Platinum Ceramic would work together. I'll bet it'd be a awesome setup. But, you have moneys' to spend at AAP, don'tcha?

Last edited:
The Pep Boys rotors appear to be Aimco, judging from the part numbers. Aimco is a sister company to Raybestos, both owned by Affinia.

As for pads, IO recommend Axxis Deluxe, Akebono ProACT, or Wagner Thermoquiet.

I just made the purchase. With my in store credit i got a set of Wearever Platinum lifetime warranty pads with hardware included for $4 out of pocket.

It will probably be a few weeks before i have enough extra money to buy some rotors, but thanks for everyone's input.

The Platinum pads look extremely nice and the manager at the store talked very highly of the pads saying he prefers them over their in store Wagner pads. I take everything with a grain of salt but with the reviews i see online and the lifetime warranty, i think i am going to be happy with the Wearever plats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back