Suggestions for PD .38 special non +P

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same load with the expensive Barnes bullet is excellent too, except the price.

The ol' FBI load is a good option as well: 158-gr, LSWCHP, but it needs some velocity to perform well.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
My vote goes for the non+P Hornady Critical Defense Ammo. There are several U-Tube reviews of it.

This looks interesting thanks for the suggestion. I have hornady +P now.

This seems like a good idea, reverse the hollow base and get a BIG hollow point. Attracted me once, too. The idea has been around for decades, and actual performance is sadly disappointing: the lead walls of the reversed base tend to readily fragment and along with the remaining lead in the base fail to penetrate. This questionable, highly variable performance will be further compromised by heavy clothing. The wound may be ugly, but superficial unlikely to incapacitate an assailant. It would be better to load bevel-base wadcutters within normal pressures but with enhanced velocity. Still better choice would be to scrounge-up some non + p nyclads.

Personally, after carrying at various times as an LEO, private investigator, or civilian and ccw instructor for many years, and after long discussions with professional ballisticians, I am hesitant to employ or recommend any ammunition except that which is loaded by one off the big companies (I would trust my own handloads for my own use, just as I do for hunting). The big guys have the best testing and quality control - by far!

If it was +P for a snub, I'd go Remington 158grn LSWCHP. Stephan Camp has an article online, comparing these loads; and in the short barrels the dead-soft Remingtons expanded better than Federal. 4" barrels though were fine with Remington.

In non +P, and in a snub, I'd probably go with... most anything, since the velocity is low. I doubt it would open up, unless if it was 110grn; and then I'd be worried about penetration. I'd avoid 148grn WC, as most are loaded lightly; but I'd rather have a powerpuff load than a sharp stick. I'd avoid LRN's too, as they are well known for doing unpredictable things.

What barrel length, and why the non +P requirement?

Originally Posted By: supton

What barrel length, and why the non +P requirement?

Two inch barrel, think J frame or LCR and the non +P to reduce recoil. Generally speaking I'm ok and feel pretty good for the most part. Occassionally I'm not so fine. I would rather carry my revolver with a load I know will be effective and my joints can handle all of the time.

135gr Speer short barrel Gold Dots for a stubby revolver. Practice with low recoil stuff and use the good stuff to carry. During an actual firefight you're not going to notice the slight recoil increase. Buy the gold dots in the 50 round boxes.

Looking at the numbers the Speer +P is less powerful than the BB "standard pressure."

Make sure you have a steel frame. I had the LCR in the +P, and it was nasty on recoil, IMHO. I traded for the magnum. Much better. I went from disliking WC in the 38 to being able to tolerate 158 +P in the magnum. (Never dared to try an actual magnum in it though!)

Could always try to find an SP101 in a snub. Convert to DAO and bob the hammer. Heavier is better, except for the lugging around bit.

I will say, try the heavier loads. I found that, oddly, I prefer 158 +P to 125 +P. the lighter round seems to have more bark and muzzle flip. The heavier load pushes back less fast. Extremely subjective.

Buffalo Bore is good stuff. No complaints but isn't it +p ? I feel most of the SD ammo will have to be +p rated in order to give the bullet enough velocity to expand. I've had good experience shooting both Double Tap and Hornady Critical Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back