need replacement 235 / 50 / R18 Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win

For my wife's Torrent GXP.

Although this is the model with sporting aspirations, this particular vehicle is primarily a highway cruiser. It's principal task is hauling the dogs and baby back and forth between our two homes.

It went 48,000 miles on the OEM Goodyear Eagles, probably 40,000 of that were highway miles, and I would be Okay with the Goodyears again, except that they are noisy on some road surfaces.

I want something QUIET. Budget $1000 ish, of course, less would be better. I'm not interested in something I have to mail order.

Id go for primacy mxm4 if they have that size. Get a local place to price match if it is sensible.

Is that a Michelin?

I swore I'd never buy another Michelin after the Indy F 1 debacle, but I guess life is too short to hold grudges.

Yes, they just get really good ratings...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4

Unfortunately it looks like they arent made in your size...

But Ive heard enough good about the AS3 that Id consider that, even if new...

AS3

US made, $199 each, probably around $210 each from a shop, so with $20/tire install costs, youre right around $1000.

These obnoxiously sized tires really are horrible. Paying that much per tire for such a pedestrian vehicle is just painful. They look nice but I doubt do anything much besides that. Does the vehicle have upsized brakes?

Yes, it's an odd size.

Not that I can tell - double piston calipers on the front, single pistons on the rear. Pretty standard stuff these days.

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum would be a great choice for you. Long-lasting tire like the Michelin MXV4 but a lot cheaper!

Another good choice is the Dunlop SP Sport Signature.

I'm really more interested in quiet, than longevity, and good wet weather handling.

My wife put 48,000 on those OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A's; she is very easy on tires.

Pretty much anything will be long lasting the way she drives.

If you want quiet, go with GY Comfortreds or Michelin MXV4/MXM4. The new Bridgestone Serenity Plus is a good tire as well.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Another good choice is the Dunlop Signature II .

Fixed it for ya
wink.gif

Sport Signatures get loud as they wear and have some sidewall cracking issues as well.

@bourne, the Signature II isn't available in the OP's size

To the OP, if quiet and cost are important, then the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is your best bet.

Are you willing to order from Walmart? Order the tires on walmart.com and they are shipped to the Walmart of your choice to get installed. A set of the Kumhos I suggested would total under $800 this way.

Right now, I am leaning toward the Turanza Serenity Plus. I can't find it in my heart to forgive Michelin just yet.

Bridgestone has a buy 3 get 1 free deal on this tire right now, and the local Firestone place has this odd ball size in stock, so I think I can get those out the door for $800 ish.

I may tease 'em with a set of tires for the G8 also, just to see if they can sweeten the deal a bit more.

Well, I went with the Turanza Serenity Plus (How do they come up with these crazy names?).

Try as I might, I couldn't get the 4 for 3 price, as that was for the Serenity that is being closed out, so I had to pay Tire Rack, which I guess is now the de facto price standard for tires. Wound up being about a car wash less than a kilobuck out the door.

They are definitely quiet and have a softer ride - what I was looking for - but of course it's not fair to compare a new tire, with a four year old tire, that has nearly 50K on it. When we get to take it out on the road, a good highway run through the Boston Mountains, with the last fifteen miles or so to our lake house being two lane twisties, I'll have a better overall picture of the tire.

FWIW the Turanza Serenity plusses are what I'm looking at the eventually replace the conti's on the focus. They are well priced, and very highly rated.

Originally Posted By: Win
Well, I went with the Turanza Serenity Plus (How do they come up with these crazy names?).

Try as I might, I couldn't get the 4 for 3 price, as that was for the Serenity that is being closed out, so I had to pay Tire Rack, which I guess is now the de facto price standard for tires. Wound up being about a car wash less than a kilobuck out the door.

They are definitely quiet and have a softer ride - what I was looking for - but of course it's not fair to compare a new tire, with a four year old tire, that has nearly 50K on it. When we get to take it out on the road, a good highway run through the Boston Mountains, with the last fifteen miles or so to our lake house being two lane twisties, I'll have a better overall picture of the tire.

EDIT - never mind. Missed that you already got some...
blush.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back