How good is Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys just got off work, I plan on using it in my 07 Jeep Compass, In Canada a 5QT jug of any synthetic is usually $50 so paying the $57 I did for the Royal Purple is no issue. Yea the oil prices here are substantially higher.

I mostly just got it because watching 4X4 tv as a kid and watching RP be praised made me want to try it out (I was like 10 so I was easily persuaded)

Currently I have PP, PYB, RP, and VWB in my stash, so im trying to figure out between RP or PP to run this winter. (M1 caused tapping at low RPM so I wont be using it again (Have it in currently, first oil change ive ever done))

The API stuff doesn't contain synerlac and that's what made RP special. Without it I feel its as good as any other API on the shelf.
But the euro spec stuff still had it although its been at least a year since I've seen any so I can't say for sure if it still has it in the formula.
The hps line is pretty awesome and I'd love to try it but I've never seen any retailer sell it,so I would like have to order it or something.
And I thought they had one more racing line as well.
I remember the mustang where one pair of cams came off a 3v that ran M1 exclusively and another used RP and they compared cams. The M1 guy had wear scars that were visibly grooved,and the RP Guy had more miles and the cams looked new.
When the guy actually measured it with a calliper or whatever it's called it was minute however it was measurable iirc.
That thread has 35 plus pages of pure m1 vs Rp and I read the entire thing. I learned a lot about oil in that thread.
Anyways what I'm getting at is RP makes a good product and its expensive but I believe the hps stuff is/was using pao and ester poe's and the synerlac is a friction modifier(guessing).
Correct me if I'm wrong.
RP came out with the API line and the hps line is just what was being made before the API stuff came out and is still the original stuff containing synerlac and no certifications?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
RP gets a bad rap here because most here use the cheapest oil they can buy that meets the spec they need. Ive used royal purple SN a few times and was very happy with it.

yes i do believe it is a little expensive when being compared at walmarts 5qt jug prices, however step into any auto chain store and it will be priced competitively with the majors per qt.

also my walmart carrys RP for about $8 a qt. buying individual quarts of PP,PU,M1 will cost almost the same. Royal purple is being competitive price wise when selling by the QT.

If RP were able to sell 5qt jugs at walmart for the price of M1/PP i believe many of the RP bashers here would be praising it for its amazing value and quality.

If I have to pay that much for a quart RP, I rather spend a little more for Amsoil Signature Series.

Originally Posted By: Whimis
Hello all, I was wondering how good would Royal Purples 5w-20 synthetic oil be for average half city half highway use in the winter around -20 Celsius (approx 10,000 km)

The API oils are standard synthetics, but their synerlec oils are fantastic oils with really high initial TBN values. They were rated only API SL when they did carry an API rating on the synerlec versions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
The API stuff doesn't contain synerlac

Yes it does. The 5w40 is API SL and still contains Synerlec.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I'd say it's as good as any other 5W-20 dino but there are better 5W-20 syn's.

As far as Canada is concerned, it's over priced here as well.

Has to rate as one of the top 10 most ridiculous BITOG RP bash posts ever.

I knew the RP police would show up when I saw the topic.
Nothing wrong with RP, just as there is nothing wrong with any API SN syn-labeled oil.
When RP can be bought for $22.47/jug at Walmart, I'll give it a try.
Meanwhile, back in the garage, I have lots of PP, PU, QSUD, SSO and so on just wating their turn for their miles of glory in an engine.
Until I can buy RP FAR or really cheap on closeout or CL, I'll pass.
Nothing special about RP.

Yes this guy is clearly over sensitive.
Both RP 5W-20 and 5W-30 with VIs of 153 and 162 respectively are below average for a synthetic oil and no better than an typical dino. That's one main reason for buying a syn' oil in the first place,to be lighter on start-up.

As dparm mentioned their 0W-20 is more interesting as are their 0W-40 and 5W-40 grades if you can get them cheaper than M1.

Oh, the big bad know it all doesn't like it when people stand up to him.
crackmeup2.gif

I need to apologize for the above comment. That is just sinking to the level of the RP haters here. I shouldn't have said it.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Their current "API" lineup is SN or SM, not SL. The current API 5W-40 is API SM and according to the RP website, "For those seeking enhanced performance in vehicles not under warranty, we recommend our HPS Series of high performance street motor oils with our proprietary Synerlec additive technology."

Any grades that contain Synerlec are going to be API SL rated at best, but that isn't their current "API" line of oils.

Originally Posted By: Whimis
Sorry guys just got off work, I plan on using it in my 07 Jeep Compass, In Canada a 5QT jug of any synthetic is usually $50 so paying the $57 I did for the Royal Purple is no issue. Yea the oil prices here are substantially higher.

I mostly just got it because watching 4X4 tv as a kid and watching RP be praised made me want to try it out (I was like 10 so I was easily persuaded)

Currently I have PP, PYB, RP, and VWB in my stash, so im trying to figure out between RP or PP to run this winter. (M1 caused tapping at low RPM so I wont be using it again (Have it in currently, first oil change ive ever done))

From what you have in your stash, PP is what I'd run in the winter.
With the highest VI (169) and the lowest MRV it will be a lighter oil on start-up vs the others at all temp's.
Seems like a no-brainer to me.

NHHEMI said:
I need to apologize for the above comment. That is just sinking to the level of the RP haters here. I shouldn't have said it. [/quote

How is it hating when someone states numbers that are facts?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: dparm

Their current "API" lineup is SN or SM, not SL. The current API 5W-40 is API SM and according to the RP website, "For those seeking enhanced performance in vehicles not under warranty, we recommend our HPS Series of high performance street motor oils with our proprietary Synerlec additive technology."

Any grades that contain Synerlec are going to be API SL rated at best, but that isn't their current "API" line of oils.

My mistake, I thought the 5w40 was SL.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It will preform as good as any other synthetic 5W20.

The biggest knock you will get on here about Royal Purple(RP) around here is the cost. But from my understanding in Canada that is a different story.

When you make statements like this,you lose credibility.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

The biggest knock you will get on here about Royal Purple(RP) around here is the cost. But from my understanding in Canada that is a different story.

Really? Do you know how to read English or are your purple tinted goggles clouding your view?
Name one thing I said that is not true?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
NHHEMI said:
I need to apologize for the above comment. That is just sinking to the level of the RP haters here. I shouldn't have said it. [/quote

How is it hating when someone states numbers that are facts?

It is a culmination of posts over years from certain people who take every opportunity to try and bash RP despite trying to claim innocence and no agenda. It just gest really old to those of us who actually use it.

It is probably excellent oil. I don't hate it for sure.

It sells for $14.49 1L bottle where I can find it at Canadian Tire.

I see Mobil1 for $48.99 4.4L regular price (rare if ever to see on sale)

I usually stock up on PP for $24.88 4.4L jug
I usually stock up on PYB for $10.88 4.4L jug.

Going by the numbers, it just isn't worth the cost/performance price point for me. Your results may be different however.

BTW, I am not sure where Garak does his shopping but if anyone buys oil at regular prices in Canada when many mainstream products go on sale often (every 4-6 months)....well...
45.gif

Last edited:
Looks like the RP police is here in full force. RP is way overpriced, especially if you live in the US and have a Walmart nearby. RP is also very similar to Napa synthetic, as PQIA has shown. Why spend so much more for something that seems average on paper? As is well known, three years ago Castrol (BP) paid big bucks to have their oil tested against RP and all the claims that RP made like increased horsepower, improved MPG, less wear, were patently false. Why would one trust a company that was content to lie for so many years to their customers? In that test the only difference between RP and Castrol was the excessive price of RP. There is a saying: fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me!

Originally Posted By: Capa
Looks like the RP police is here in full force. RP is way overpriced, especially if you live in the US and have a Walmart nearby. RP is also very similar to Napa synthetic, as PQIA has shown. Why spend so much more for something that seems average on paper? As is well known, three years ago Castrol (BP) paid big bucks to have their oil tested against RP and all the claims that RP made like increased horsepower, improved MPG, less wear, were patently false. Why would one trust a company that was content to lie for so many years to their customers? In that test the only difference between RP and Castrol was the excessive price of RP. There is a saying: fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me!

Wow.
33.gif

Nobody here is "bashing" RP.
It's just that based upon the observed evidence, RP SN is nothing special.
Prove all of the doubters wrong.
Run Purp for 10K in that Caliber in disguise and then post the UOA.
That will be what it takes to demonstrate that RP really is worth the money.
Anything else is just uniformed speculation on both sides.

I just wish the 0w40 was available at Pep Boys as part of their RP+filter oil change deal...I would've used it in the S4.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Really? Do you know how to read English or are your purple tinted goggles clouding your view?
Name one thing I said that is not true?

Technically, CATERHAM is right. He didn't say anything that most of us wouldn't agree to. a) RP API-SN is (at least) as good as any API-SN 5W-20. b) There (arguably) are better sythetics available. I think it's the (likely unintended) implication that RP AP-SN is only as good as conventional is what got folks briefs bundled up.

I think RP is a very good oil and the 5W-30 ran well is my Nissan QR25DE. But I wouldn't pay the premium price for it. I got it during one of PB's OC deals for like $30 with a filter.

My only beef (if you can call it that) with RP is their dexos claims which some may interpret as misleading. I don't have a problem when someone says they meet or exceed dexos spec. But I personally think it crosses the line and is a bit misleading when they include a dexos logo on the bottle, regardless of the fact that they don't list a license number.

Just my
49.gif
... take it or leave it... don't read anything more out of it than stated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back