Victory 20w-40 semi-syn oil. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched this topic and found nothing. Was wondering if anyone has evaluated this oil for quality / additives. It's spec'd for my new Victory Cross Country Tour. As an oddball oil spec, there's only one alternative that I can find--Castrol 20w-40 semi-syn. Info on this oil is also scarce.

I realize that Rotella T will likely do the job and I may end up using that at some point, but during the warranty period I'll likely use the Victory branded oil. . .if it's decent oil, I may continue using it. Any Victory owners opinions are welcomed, as I'm new to this brand.

--Rob

most 20w40 oils I have seen were actually formulated for diesel locomotives

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CGIQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alexisoil.com%2Fpdf%2FDelo6170CFOSAE20W4040.pdf&ei=yvvCUf7sB-HtigLduICQBA&usg=AFQjCNHXGvpn6NYx1RxUIdXcchmHP1v3Ow&sig2=cgNTAZXA_WXrOXEYFBvP9A&bvm=bv.48175248,d.cGE&cad=rja

most 20w40 oils I have seen were actually formulated for diesel locomotives

Delo 710 LE SAE 20W-40

Delo 710 LE SAE 20W-40 is a premium quality diesel engine oil designed for use in marine and railroad applications. Designed for use in both Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD) and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) engines, Delo 710 delivers value through offering excellent wear control and deposit control while maximizing engine cleanliness for longer oil life and reduced oil consumption as compared to monograde engine oils.

http://canada.deloperformance.com/products/engine-oils.aspx

admin please delete my previous post, thanks

Last edited:
Most likely the Victory oil was formulated with zero viscosity index improvers to prevent the typical shearing that happens to shared sump oil. The gears in the transmission will literally cut up the VI improver molecules and the oil can shear back to a less protective 30 grade or lower.

Thanks for the input guys--appreciated. I just had the break-in service done at the dealer. . . of course they used the Victory oil. I'll be doing future preventive maintenance, so maybe I'll send in a sample for a UOA when the time comes to change it (5000 mile OCIs on the new Vics).

My dealer sells the oil change kits for $60.99, which includes 5 quarts of Victory oil, Polaris filter, and crush washer. Considering it includes the filter, that ain't unreasonable for a motorcycle-specific oil and filter, so I might continue using it if it works well. I'll be sure to post the UOA when I get one.

I would personally not go 5k on a shared sump bike that is air cooled. My Triumph with full syn oil is recommended to go to 6k miles on the oci, but I have never gone more than 3.5k without my shifting going notchy indicating the oil has sheared.

I would run it 3k and have a uoa done on the sample and seeing how used up it is.

Seriously?

Get Rotella 15W-40 and a Purolator L14610 or the shorter L14612 oil filter. If a white filter makes ya squint - then do like me, and paint them black.

- 2013 Victory Vegas 8-Ball.

P.S..... and let me tell you something about the Dealer-performed oil changes. I personally know of three that use a bulk 10W-40 oil in everything (even Victory's), unless the customer specifically orders something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe

P.S..... and let me tell you something about the Dealer-performed oil changes. I personally know of three that use a bulk 10W-40 oil in everything (even Victory's), unless the customer specifically orders something else.

I too have seen this at shops and dealerships. I watched my Triumph tech do my only paid oil change to make sure it was the proper oil.

Although I'm new to this dealership, I asked them directly if they used Vic oil for the change--I was told that they did and that they used one of the kits--not bulk. This is a Polaris / Victory-only dealer. I tend to believe them, as they don't have any other oil brands on their shelves. I guess they could have a barrel of bulk out back. . . .

Originally Posted By: Robster
Although I'm new to this dealership, I asked them directly if they used Vic oil for the change--I was told that they did and that they used one of the kits--not bulk. This is a Polaris / Victory-only dealer. I tend to believe them, as they don't have any other oil brands on their shelves. I guess they could have a barrel of bulk out back. . . .

No, I think that you're OK there. My local dealer uses the bulk oil "unless the customer specifies something different". The service manager said that the vast majority of customers either don't know or don't care about the differences in oil. He goes on to say that in his 30+ years in the business, that he really hasn't seen any functional difference in brands of oils, as long as the correct viscosity is used.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

No, I think that you're OK there. My local dealer uses the bulk oil "unless the customer specifies something different". The service manager said that the vast majority of customers either don't know or don't care about the differences in oil. He goes on to say that in his 30+ years in the business, that he really hasn't seen any functional difference in brands of oils, as long as the correct viscosity is used.

Well he has never put the Dino Castrol 4t in anything then. Cause its GARBAGE compared to just about anything else. I unwittingly used it once when I was uninformed and it was night and day bad compared to the factory fill on my Yamaha.

about 3 weeks ago i traded my 06 1200 sportster on a 8xx mile used 13 hammer, i love it!! former owner had 500 oil change at the stealer, i have about 1200 miles on it now and added a half qt so far. vics oil as posted on the vic forum is pretty good but short lived, most riders say 2500 miles from analysis addatives are used up. i will be using amsoil soon as i always did, harley never needed any oil between yearly changes, i am thinkin the 40 wt even in a real synthetic may be too light, i will prolly mix 20-50 + 10-40 amsoils together first, we will see

a little update on vics 20-40 dealer $$$ oil put in by former owner at first service. about 1200 since change i added a gt of group III 10-40 motorcycle oil, seems to drop quicker when its hotter out. Penna's riding is coming to a close for me and i will be changing to to the amsoil mix mentioned above. some say no break in necessary for synthetic, prolly group III, redline says 3,000 for their REAL synthetic oils, i will be close to that when i change, looking forward to it for sure!!!!

Thanks for the comments benjy. . . .it's always interesting to hear what people use for oil in their bikes--we all want the "best" for our bikes!

I've got about 3300 on my Cross Country now and still using the Victory 20w-40--I'll keep that in 'til the end of the season or 5000 miles which ever comes first--I'll be sticking to the 5000 mile OCI. I'm still undecided about what I'm gonna replace it with. I know that I'll stick with a 40 weight oil--my theory is that Vic spec'd that weight for good reason (by their engine designers) and it just makes sense to me to follow that recommendation. I'll be getting a UOA of my current fill of Vic oil and will consider using it again. I'm also considering using:

--Shell Rotella 15w-40
--Mobil 1 10w-40 4t (motorcycle oil)
--Amsoil 10w-40 (motorcycle)

I'm leaning heavily toward the Mobil 1--I've used it before in other bikes and had good luck with it and like the availability of it just about everywhere.

I just got back (last night) from an 800+ mile ride from PA to Lynchburg, VA, to Virginia Beach, Salisbury, MD, Middletown, DE and back to Mechanicsburg, PA--excellent ride and a good "shake-down" trip for the bike. I'm happy with the Cross Country--it rides great and ran like a top. So far, I haven't had to add any oil and it seems to shift like it always has.

Just my two cents. . . .

I'm still undecided about what I'm gonna replace it with. I know that I'll stick with a 40 weight oil--my theory is that Vic spec'd that weight for good reason (by their engine designers) and it just makes sense to me to follow that recommendation. I'll be getting a UOA of my current fill of Vic oil and will consider using it again.

Robster,

If you stick with 5k mile OCI's....you'll be running a 30 weight oil for a majority of that. So, yeah, if Victory spec'ed a 40 weight oil, that's great, but that's not what you'll be running for at least 3k of those miles....FYI.

If you are a new bike owner, or an old one that is now getting educated about motorcycle oil, it's in your best interest to simply get accustomed to changing your oil more often. I can't think of any motorcycle that I've never ran across that I'd run more than 3k miles on an OCI.....ESPECIALLY an air cooled bike with a shared sump!!!

The abuse that oils takes in an air-cooled shared sump bike is the worst possible combination you can have. If it was my bike, I'd run 1000-1500 mile OCI's.

You should really do those UOA's if you aren't convinced at how fast your oil will be sheared. One thing you can do is run straight 20w-50....so it will shear to a 40 weight so you can run 3-4k mile OCI's.

The only semi-synthetic oil I've come across is for inboard boat motors. Mercruiser makes a popular 20w40. High in zinc. Pretty shear proof....but then again, the big block chevy 454's in my boat run cool, and don't share oil with the trannies.

This is why I won't buy a used motorcycle from anyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone--good discussion.

Phishin: If you read the most recent Amsoil m/c oil study, the Victory oil actually comes in 4th overall--not bad considering the competition. The shearing test specifically indicates that it stays in grade (40 weight)for all the tests--much better than many of the "favorites". Does the shear testing equate to real world?--I dunno.

I still believe that the designers take into account the shearing of the oil over the OCI when spec'ing their oil. For that reason I don't consider running an oil to the recommended OCI "abusive" to an engine .

As of right now, I'm thinking I'll stay with the Vic oil for the next OCI and send in a sample for testing when I change this batch out--I'll be sure to post the analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back