2012 WRX- Redline 5w-30 vs Mobil 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
There are plenty of Mustang GTs running 5w20 at track days with no problems.

Good point.
I've personally been in a 2012 that we beat the tar out of and couldn't raise the oil temps high enough to force limp mode. So I've learned in my time here at bitog that unless you have substantial modifications that elevate oil temp to the point that film strength is compromised then there is no point in going thicker than the manufacturer specifies.

Tigs,
That hurt man! LOL
My roomates is Protuned, turbo back rumble pipe, larger injectors, and a healthy bump in boost 20psi on autometer gauges.
Tigs,
He has posted on here himself about T6 vs GC. he even voiced his dislike of M1. I do believe you jumped on him as well. He said ohh! those silly M1 cheer leaders. I was rolling cause that's what you and Killer are. If ANYONE mentions another oil besides M1 you guys start crying... YEA BUT...YEA BUT. suck it up son, better oils are on the market at similar prices like PU. M1 is not for EVERY engine get it??? I'm not loyal to one brand of oil.. that is shallow and closed minded. I've used M1,RP GC, PU, T6, Synpwr.
You seem closed minded to the fact that their may be better oils on the market at lower prices. I for one am open to a larger market of high quality stuff. I try not to limit myself that way. life is too short.
Tigs did your daddy use M1, cause you don't think very far from center of the box? it's not 1976 anymore.

Mobil 1 5w30 meets Honda HTO-06, which is a spec they developed specifically for the K23 (a turbo 4). It's a very tough spec.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Tigs,
That hurt man! LOL
My roomates is Protuned, turbo back rumble pipe, larger injectors, and a healthy bump in boost 20psi on autometer gauges.
Tigs,
He has posted on here himself about T6 vs GC. he even voiced his dislike of M1. I do believe you jumped on him as well. He said ohh! those silly M1 cheer leaders. I was rolling cause that's what you and Killer are. If ANYONE mentions another oil besides M1 you guys start crying... YEA BUT...YEA BUT. suck it up son, better oils are on the market at similar prices like PU. M1 is not for EVERY engine get it??? I'm not loyal to one brand of oil.. that is shallow and closed minded. I've used M1,RP GC, PU, T6, Synpwr.
You seem closed minded to the fact that their may be better oils on the market at lower prices. I for one am open to a larger market of high quality stuff. I try not to limit myself that way. life is too short.
Tigs did your daddy use M1, cause you don't think very far from center of the box? it's not 1976 anymore.

I agree there are many good brands out there today.

Mobil 1 5w30 meets Honda HTO-06, which is a spec they developed specifically for the K23 (a turbo 4). It's a very tough spec.

True.

Originally Posted By: 05foresterXT
It depends on how long you stay at WOT, plain and simple. If you want to hold it there for over 15 seconds, then any resource conserving 5w30 is too thin to hold up to that kind of abuse.

Would wot like that breach the oil film of a starburst 5W30,causing bearing damage? I`ve often wondered,because alot of fsm`s/manuals recommend thicker oils for extended high speed driving and/or racing.

Last edited:
Tigs,
That hurt man! LOL
Tigs,

Your rant sounds a bit "Hillbilly" Dusty
wink.gif
Perhaps veiling your jabs in a little less nicknaming and "all in good fun", but rather getting to the point would better suit a discussion with the pair of us? I mean we are quite obviously the target, as you addressed the pair of us with pet names. And while I'm flattered that you've actually GIVEN us pet names, I'm doubting Tig, who I think is old enough to be either of our grandfathers appreciates it. If I'd ever given my grandfather a pet name he would have smacked me with a hockey stick, LOL!

BTW, I've diversified my stash. I've got AMSOIL 0w-30, M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40 in it now. The 0w-30 is in the Expie, the PU 5w-40 is in the M5, and the M1 0w-40 isn't in anything except my new Honda mower at the moment. Though it'll be back in the M5 for the fall season before the car goes away.

And with respect to being "closed minded", I think the point I've made in the past about choosing an oil by its accolades is significant and should not be dismissed. Nor do I think anything about either of our positions on the subject is shallow. I don't see how extensive successful experience with a product makes one shallow or closed minded in this context actually. M1 0w-40 is probably the most certified/approved oil on the planet, which means it has gone through more OEM testing than any other oil on the planet. And while that alone may not mean it IS the best oil on the planet, you'd have to prove that it isn't and that there are legitimately better options at its price point out there. The closest oil I've found is PU Euro 5w-40, so I'm trying it out. It has an extremely similar cert/approval list, which means we KNOW it is an excellent product for high HP/high power density applications.

There's actually logic to this process that you seem to dismiss as some sort of fanboyism. "Not knowing" and betting on a WAG that a product MIGHT be better isn't a legitimate benchmarking process, LOL! But you know, OEM testing actually is
wink.gif

Yet Mobil1 recommended 0W-40 for my application.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: buster
Tigs,
That hurt man! LOL
Tigs,

I agree there are many good brands out there today.

I agree also. In fact I never critize another oil as (1) I don't use them so how can I find fault, and (2) other oils will no doubt do the job. However M1 oils have served me well for decades in every way so why skip aroud from one to another, Dr. Dusty?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Yet Mobil1 recommended 0W-40 for my application.-Dennis

So they recommended the heavier 0W-40 over their own 5W-30 which meets the HTO-06 knowing it is the Mfr's spec'd grade?
And did you inform them of your oil pressure and oil temp' readings?
Did they also advise that M1 0W-40 would not void the Subaru warranty as I'm sure many would be interested in that?

Never mind, picked up some Mobil 0w-40.

All this [censored] I'm reading about resource conserving 5w-30 oils shearing down to a 20wt pretty quickly are scaring me.

Originally Posted By: 05foresterXT
syp7yh.jpg

You fear monger!
lol.gif

I advised Mobil1 of the owner's manual recommendations posted above as well as details of my driving conditions and even mentioned a turbo failure deemed to be "lubrication related". And that was before my reflash increasing hp by approximately 30% over stock.

Would Mobil1 5W-30 or PU 5W-30 work fine for the OP and his application which includes increased boost, hp, and torque? Possibly. But the owner's manual doesn't give guidelines for which oil to use on a modified car and most owners don't have oil pressure and temp gauges.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back