Fram ExtraGuard PH8316, 7100 miles, 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the photos. Yes, I see what you are referring to as a second ADBV. Blocks the drain back through the discharge side of the filter. That would insure a full filter of oil at start-up.I wonder how much that valve cuts down on oil flow. Regards

Originally Posted By: Hosteen
Thanks for the photos. Yes, I see what you are referring to as a second ADBV. Blocks the drain back through the discharge side of the filter. That would insure a full filter of oil at start-up.I wonder how much that valve cuts down on oil flow. Regards

I doubt the spring in the 2nd ADBV is very stiff, so it probably adds a few PSI to the delta-P across the filter.

You only "cut down" on oil flow when the positive displacement oil pump hits pressure relief. So typically, the flow oil flow will be the same because it takes rare occasions for the oil pump to hit pressure relief mode (ie, engine near redline, and/or cold thick oil being used).

Does this filter mount vertically with threads down?
Does the secondary valve actually hold oil when off the vehicle?
Too bad no convenient way to prefill oil into a new filter.
Seems like it either provides backup to primary ADBV or may make removal a little bit cleaner by not allowing filter oil to drain out during removal. On Toyota side mounted engine filters the single ADBV seems to hold back substantial amount beyond the filter.

Well as you know the results were disappointing in my Jeep using this exact filter. Back to the FL-400S it was for me. I believe you'll have to try one to really know though Blue, your results could be totally different than mine.

Sending you a PM Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back