Eco Ultra Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching tv last night. A program about petroleum and how they make motor oil, gasoline, diesel, etc.

One of the things shown was when they re-refine used motor oil and how it is much cheaper to re-refine than to refine what comes out of the ground. Looking at the prices of the Eco Ultra, I see that it costs a lot more than brand name synthetics. The Eco Ultra is NOT a synthetic but it may be a blend as they say they add other things after re-refining.

I took alook at their prices. I think it will be hard for them to market and sell this oil well against the offerings from Valvoline. Especially at those prices. The specs do not look as good as the Valvoline offerings.

I see they are using the "eco pouches." castrol has started using those, too.

Originally Posted By: map76
I took alook at their prices. I think it will be hard for them to market and sell this oil well against the offerings from Valvoline. Especially at those prices. The specs do not look as good as the Valvoline offerings.

$5/qt for a synthetic blend doesn't seem too bad to me and is cheaper than the normal NextGen prices at my local AZ. Also, the shelf price is probably lower than their online retail price. It's something many manufacturers do: they are in the manufacture and wholesale business and in order to not compete with their distributors and retailers but still take advantage of direct-to-user sales opportunities they inflate the price at which they sell the product, pushing customers to find the products at retailers.

The argument about sub-par specs maybe true (still don't know enough about oil to judge such), but they aren't targeting BITOG users, they are going after eco-minded hybrid and diesel drivers who care more about the eco friendliness and pretty packaging than the details about the oil's composition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: map76

$5/qt for a synthetic blend doesn't seem too bad to me and is cheaper than the normal NextGen prices at my local AZ. Also, the shelf price is probably lower than their online retail price. It's something many manufacturers do: they are in the manufacture and wholesale business and in order to not compete with their distributors and retailers but still take advantage of direct-to-user sales opportunities they inflate the price at which they sell the product, pushing customers to find the products at retailers.

The argument about sub-par specs maybe true (still don't know enough about oil to judge such), but they aren't targeting BITOG users, they are going after eco-minded hybrid and diesel drivers who care more about the eco friendliness and pretty packaging than the details about the oil's composition.

I believe you are correct about the target customer for this oil; but you can regularly find NextGen on rebate, and it is a better oil on paper. I guess, only time will tell if this oil will do well. I think it is interesting to see another company working to make and sell a recycled oil. I believe there is plenty of room for growth in this area. Valvoline is proof you can maintain performance with recycled oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back