2.0L Ecoboost Oil Change time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 escape with the 2.0L ecoboost motor, 8500 miles total on this car. I am running a wix filter and Mobile 1. I have 4600 miles on this oil change. Mixed driving , but quite a bit of in town under five mile to the destination. I am going on a 800 mile run to eastern OR. For the oil experts, with M1 how many miles before and oil change? Thanks Alan

Recommend no more than 5K LOF changes with synthetic oil for the turbo, since you do "quite a bit of in town [stop and go driving] under 5 miles". Adjust OCI accordingly if you take longer trips for extended periods of time with the engine at operating temperature.

1600 miles round trip (800 x 2 if that is what you are doing) would be 6200 miles on M1 and the oil should be able to handle that even with the short trips (although you did not list how long the oil has been in there).

Theoretically, the oil could last to 10K, but you should sample a few times to know where you are--especially with the short tripping and it being a turbo motor.

While it is under warranty, I would not use anything other than Motorcraft filters to prevent the possibility of a hassle with any warranty repairs that could be seen as oil related. MC makes good filters (at least as good as WIX).

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Recommend no more than 5K LOF changes with synthetic oil for the turbo, since you do "quite a bit of in town [stop and go driving] under 5 miles". Adjust OCI accordingly if you take longer trips for extended periods of time with the engine at operating temperature.

While I agree to the 5K OCI on this engine, it isnt because of the turbos I'd limit the OCI. Its due to this being a new DI engine with turbos. I dont think there have been any UOA on this engine so we don't know if it has any fuel dilution like the 3.5L ecoboost does.

I am going to Steen Mtn backpacking, should be a blast. The trip is 800-900 total. I totally agree with the use of the motorcraft filter, ford will most likely blame the filter if there is an oil related problem and stick you with the repair. I admit I am impaired reading your responses since I am guessing what UOA, OCI and LOF means. Fuel dilution with this oil change might be a problem because this engine had a huge problem mostely within this oil change. I had multiple service engine now lights and check engine lights come on. I experienced terrible gas mileage, missing, huge rich idle, stalling all over the place, erratic transmission shift, slamming gears etc.... The Escape has been a total S**t show, sorry for my foul language but you would say the same if you owned this car. Anyhow, Ford finally replaced the main wiring harness under the hood and it fixed the problem. So I probably should dump this oil out before I go. So how and where do you have your oil checked. Thanks Alan

Last edited:
With the wiring harness issue, I agree it's a really good idea to have the oil changed soon. If by having the old "checked", you mean the oil level, instructions are in your manual. If you mean "analyzed" (UOA=Used Oil Analysis) try Blackstone.com. They will send you a sample kit which is basically a plastic bottle in which you capture a few ounces of oil while it's draining during a change. You mail the sample back to Blackstone and they email results to you. Blackstone's web site will give you more info.

If it's any consolation, the non-turbo, DI version of your engine as found in the Ford Focus doesn't seem to suffer from much fuel dilution. The addition of the turbo could change that though.

OCI = "Oil Change Interval". While Ford does have an intelligent oil life monitor on these cars and suggests they can go 1 year or 10,000 miles between changes, I would change oil more frequently if I planned to keep the car for a while, and use a high quality, full synthetic oil. There are plenty of examples of automaker missteps when it comes to DI engines and OCIs and it remains to be seen if Ford is making another.

Dan; I will try blackstone out for both my 2L ecoboost and my 70 Mach1 418W oil analysis. Thanks to all for the feedback. Alan

Originally Posted By: alan_mac
Dan; I will try blackstone out for both my 2L ecoboost and my 70 Mach1 418W oil analysis. Thanks to all for the feedback. Alan

My mistake: the URL for Blackstone is Blackstone-labs.com. Good luck with your Escape - if you do get a UOA it would be appreciated if you could post it on this forum. We haven't seen much from this engine yet.

If you have a local CAT dealer, they typically can do a UOA including TAN, TBN, Oxidation, Nitration, Sulfation for $15.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

If you have a local CAT dealer, they typically can do a UOA including TAN, TBN, Oxidation, Nitration, Sulfation for $15.

When I lived in FL I went to my local CAT dealer and they did a UOA for $13.50 plus tax. That was back in 2005, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back