1995 Taurus running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Trying to get something going whete I flip these cars for money.

I'm not trying to be rude, but this involves the knowledge and skill to diagnose and repair vehicles. When you post on a message board asking how to do all of this stuff, it doesn't come across as you possessing that knowledge.

And of course we all recall the Volvo saga......... And how well that played out.

Must.... resist...

OVERKILL, why is it that asking for advice on a mechanical board is not being resourceful??????????????

From Acuras to Volkswagens. And, alphabetically.. yeah, Volvo is higher than VW.

Must resist what there big guy?
smirk.gif

And asking for advice on complex issues could certainly be classified as being resourceful, but most of the stuff you are asking is extremely basic, indicating that you lack the knowledge on these subjects to perform these basic troubleshooting/diagnostics procedures yourself.

Did you make any money on the Volvo deal? I'm betting that's a big N-O, correct?

TechoNoTool:
if you are planning on doing this to make money - you can't be paying a shop to fix a car to flip. People that flip houses either have to DIY or have some really cheap labor and lots of headroom to turn profits.
Same thing here.
If it was as simple as someone buying a beater, paying a shop to make it run better, polish the turd and sell high - don't you think everyone would do it?
The few guys that flip cars usually can do mechanical and bodywork themselves.

Have it your way
smile.gif

Now. Would it be safe to say that a very rusted-up cooling system could cause overheating?
That cooling system has enough excess capacity to work with a lot of rust in it; however all of that rust can contribute to an overheating problem and make it worse.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The dead giveaway is the boiling of the coolant in the (new) radiator-unless you ran it nearly completely dry, or it has the worst water pump impeller ever, something bad is happening in that cooling system!
The conditions for making a lot of rust are pretty much the same as what makes a metal water pump impeller disappear.

Trying to get something going whete I flip these cars for money.

I'm not trying to be rude, but this involves the knowledge and skill to diagnose and repair vehicles. When you post on a message board asking how to do all of this stuff, it doesn't come across as you possessing that knowledge.

And of course we all recall the Volvo saga......... And how well that played out.

Must.... resist...

OVERKILL, why is it that asking for advice on a mechanical board is not being resourceful??????????????

From Acuras to Volkswagens. And, alphabetically.. yeah, Volvo is higher than VW.

Must resist what there big guy?
smirk.gif

Volvo banter, bud.
smirk.gif
I like Volvos. Same way you like 5.0 Mustangs.

Quote:

And asking for advice on complex issues could certainly be classified as being resourceful, but most of the stuff you are asking is extremely basic, indicating that you lack the knowledge on these subjects to perform these basic troubleshooting/diagnostics procedures yourself.

I have:

1/2" drive Teardrop ratchet
Assortee sockets
Voltmeter
Oil filter strap tool (somewherE)
Car ramps (must get back)
.. A bunch of stuff I even lost track of.

It is in the S-10. And the S10 is in hoc.

Speaking of.. I feel it is time to share this.

Quote:

Did you make any money on the Volvo deal? I'm betting that's a big N-O, correct?

Assuming I know what you are talking about? She made a little bit of coin because I found a buyer or as-is.

If I had any more resources, a new Aisin trans would have found its way into that beautiful, beautiful car.

In other news, oil cap test says head Gasket on Taurus is fine.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Now. Would it be safe to say that a very rusted-up cooling system could cause overheating?
That cooling system has enough excess capacity to work with a lot of rust in it; however all of that rust can contribute to an overheating problem and make it worse.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The dead giveaway is the boiling of the coolant in the (new) radiator-unless you ran it nearly completely dry, or it has the worst water pump impeller ever, something bad is happening in that cooling system!
The conditions for making a lot of rust are pretty much the same as what makes a metal water pump impeller disappear.

I am sort of banking on that once the water pump gets changed, it will run good. The pressure is low and it is straight water.

I flushed it some today, it isnt AS rusty now. Tried to get all air out too.

Runs pretty well when it can cool and not overheat.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
TechoNoTool:
if you are planning on doing this to make money - you can't be paying a shop to fix a car to flip. People that flip houses either have to DIY or have some really cheap labor and lots of headroom to turn profits.
Same thing here.
If it was as simple as someone buying a beater, paying a shop to make it run better, polish the turd and sell high - don't you think everyone would do it?
The few guys that flip cars usually can do mechanical and bodywork themselves.

Have it your way
smile.gif

I'm lovin' it.
10.gif

FWIW... I *may* have a resource to work on cars, in a garage, with an experiences mechanic. In Collingdale, PA. Let's see if that comes to fruition.

And does anyone remember that Ford 5.8L dump truck? Well.. Heat warped the driver side exhaust manifold SO BAD that the bolts would not get on straight. We thought we were not going to be able to bend it back, because the cast iron was so strong. But.. Ultimately, we (Rob and I) ended up taking a broken axle from a Mack truck, converted into a HUGE pry bar, getting leverage against a bolt, and I basically did a pull-up on it with all my weight, and he was able to get the bolt in and bolt what would otherwise be a junk manifold back on!!! Go me.
smile.gif

We put it back together, started it back up, and they gave us the gaskets from a 302 not a 351 and they were too lon gin the back and coolant [censored] on the floor when we put the umm.. Air intake gasket (8 ovals?) on. Had ot re-do it the next day. :angry:

Who has seen those pics?

2-thisone_zps1fc1b645.jpg

9-Seville1_zps35dc0722.jpg

2-Garage_zps9922f57b.jpg

5-OldDeadEngine_zpsd05eb0a9.jpg

421249_512798218786729_1756152261_n_zpsa3e5ef03.jpg

3-thisone_zps282f1605.jpg

It's still there. No engine from the 1995 yet.

NOW do you see why Taurus????????????????

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Dude, what's up with the S10? I thought you already had a new motor for it? What's taking so long?

That is a fair question, and I would like to answer.

This guy Rob is what's wrong with it. I'm actually really happy I could include the pictures in the above post.

Engine #1, that had like $200 worth of sealers and lost compression so bad it would barely power out of a parking spot once (!!) - Is in the back. This one was [censored] over by Brandon, too. (2917 Hannah Ave, Norristown PA. I should talk to the manager. Not sure what I'd say. Was off the books, people tell me that doesnt matter......... I have photos and video but people tell me that is not proof.....................................)

Engine #2 (the one from Stups' Auto, video is above somewhere) is on the ground, that is the one on the engine hoist.

Engine #3 (from Clearwater Auto Parts, Minnesota - sounds AS BAD AS Engine #2...) Is in the engine bay, in the truck.

Engine #4 is supposedly now OUT of the engine bay of the donor 1995 (no title, I have no idea, do not want to know, could care less, has been sitting around but the engine runs well I am told, I don't care if it came out of someone's stolen carjacked S10 and was removed in an hour, or was there for 18 years sitting, I dont care, as long as it runs) - and now has to make its way to the shop....
To take Engine #3 BACK out..
To put in Engine #4.
Yes, there are two engines out.. soon to be 3. Need to find who pays top-dollar for scrap. Unless anybody in Darby, PA needs an S10 engine from a 1993 and may want to rebuild.. I have three so hit me up. Dirt [censored] cheap.

See why I got the Taurus?
smile.gif

About to get that siphon. I think its improving, but, maybe the slams are from overfull fluid level.

A lot of signs are telling me it needs some new fluid, not trans additives. As per GreeCguy's advice.

It will probably be black when siphoned out. I have a clear jug to see and show what came out of it.

It's driving 64% smooth, still a little slammy but has moments of perfect shift as well. (??)

Also, I wouldn't be against selling the Taurus. Trying to get $1100 for it. Id' take a best Offer, though. If not, I'll just use it.. Not sure which way I should go there. With all its increasingly new parts.

And, final question: Is the Voltage Regulator a part of the alternator? I think it is, and I think armos is right.. I think it is causing fluxuations, and I can see it in the dash gauges, and feel it in how the car drives. I don't want to destroy my new battery. If my card comes, alt and WP will be changed.. Not waiting for Rob.

Starting to think the S10's issue is a flexplate or something in the tranny or somewhere causing the knocking.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Starting to think the S10's issue is a flexplate or something in the tranny or somewhere causing the knocking.

I appreciate this.

May I relay that Rob says that he "Disconnected the transmission" the last time he checked the engine and that it still made the noise? I forget if he said disconnected "Transmission" or of "torque converter" but he also said he ruled out the catalytic converter.

If Engine #4 goes in and sounds the same way, should we call the transmission Garbage? (And I am still unclear as to what a flex plate is.)

You saw my DiagnoserDan channel, with all the diagnose videos there, for the S10?

See why I got the Taurus?
smile.gif

No, not really. You had one POS, so you bought another one to keep it company?
smile.gif

I just watched both of the videos you posted above. In the second one, when the engine starts, it "catches" for a second before it fires...sounds to me like the timing is still off (advanced).

Also sounds like there are two separate noises: one is a regular "knocking" and the other is an intermittent tapping. You need to get a real mechanic's stethoscope (not a broom handle) and go all over that motor/trans to see where those noises are coming from...

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Hope the windows work sufficiently because that turd has to be wreaking by now!!!
shocked.gif

It's got manual windows.
frown.gif

Hey, all. Update. I GOT THE ORANGE SYPHON. MAN, WAS THAT EASY TO SIPHON OUT FLUID!
laugh.gif

I siphones out a gallon. Looked like red wine/black. I put in a half quart of new high mileage.

It maybe runs a little better, feels like it shifts faster.

No comment on long-term; but the slams probably have to work themselves out with new fluid, as all that gunk is wherever. Valve bodies...

I'll take a pic when I can. Of the gallon of old ATF

I am really tempted to siphon out another gallon. If I read GreeCguy's posts right, gradually mixing in new fluid will do wonders for the slipping/slamming. (Same thing???)

changed out three mor quarts, going to put two back in. definitely not over filled anymor, 7 quarts removed.

Pics of fluid coming.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55

is the fluid dark and burnt smelling ?

Taurus is not hard to drop the pan on , lots of info on the internet .

I owned a few Taurus's in the past , they all served me and other family members well who owned them .

It's dark and hot and the trans guy said it smelled burnt, though he knew there was new fluid mixed in.

1015327_517301328336418_922882484_o.jpg

1008627_517301401669744_1493080745_o.jpg

1003646_517301495003068_288468300_n.jpg

I took out about 7 quarts, and put 2 back in.

The results are promising. Not perfect (duh, I only drove like 3 miles, light all this old fluid.) But promising...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back