2012 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, I've been running Rotella T 5W-40 in my '12 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke since new. Actually started running Rotella T about 10 years ago in all my personal rigs. We started running the Rotella, all in the mind of longer drain intervals, which we did in my work truck since I drive ALOT! I had a '03 Ford 6.0L that we did 20K oil change, oil filter every 5K......did that for 160K, economy took a dump, so my driving lessened, then for the remainder of it's service life, we did 10K oil, 5K filter, worked for 365K until we sold it in January. Economy has picked up, I'm pacing 55-60K (already have 23K on my new truck), and we don't want to mess around with long intervals, we just want to change it when it says change it. Have heard from the guys in the Ford garage that we shouldn't play around with long oil change intervals with these truck and to change the oil when it tells us too. What's wrong with just running Chevron Delo 15W-40? All of our equipment runs it, has for years. All the one-tons, tractors, dump trucks, etc. run it. Any problems you guys see besides the fact that it tells you to run 10W-30 or 5W-40?

Last edited:
Besides warranty issues, there is nothing wrong with running Delo 15w40. many a 6.7 have run hundreds of thousands of miles on the stuff. Just keep in mind the warranty issue and that Ford wants you to change the oil at their dealerships to make $$. Rotella 10w30 is a good option while you are in warranty.

Whether you choose to run the Delo or Rotella, run at least 10-15k intervals. Why change for what has worked for you in the past?

We have an in-house mechanic. We work close with the Ford Techs since we have close to 20 Fords in our fleet. We buy a lot from them, we ask their mechanics a ton of questions, but we do all of our own wrenching. If it's warranty work, it'll go to them. Would love to go 10-15K, but the Ford guys are saying not a good idea from what they learned in the classes to get 6.7L certified. They all know about my crazy intervals I have pulled in the past. First thing they did when we bought a couple in January was tell me DON'T DO EXTENDED DRAIN INTERVALS on the 6.7L. My reaction: I'm a risk taker, it makes me feel like a teenager! Hehe! So, I'm thinking to keep the Ford guys happy, well at least while the 6.7L are under warranty, to just change when the truck tells me too with Delo, or say I changed it, oops, did I just say that??, and keep running the Rotella?

I'd stick to OEM IOLM limits for the concern of warranty. Engine work is juts so darn silly expensive these days that it probably does not pay to take risks while under warranty.

In Portland area, and summer anywhere in the NA area, I see nothing wrong with any CJ-4 rated lube. Ford "recommends" 10w-30 or 5w-40, but 15w-40 would suffice quite well.

However, why not run 10w-30? It's removes all argument should warranty claims arise. Rotella 10w-30 in TP and T5 are both easily attained. Most places have them on the shelf, or have an SKU that can be filled in short order.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'd stick to OEM IOLM limits for the concern of warranty. Engine work is juts so darn silly expensive these days that it probably does not pay to take risks while under warranty.

In Portland area, and summer anywhere in the NA area, I see nothing wrong with any CJ-4 rated lube. Ford "recommends" 10w-30 or 5w-40, but 15w-40 would suffice quite well.

However, why not run 10w-30? It's removes all argument should warranty claims arise. Rotella 10w-30 in TP and T5 are both easily attained. Most places have them on the shelf, or have an SKU that can be filled in short order.

This is the first time I have ever seen Dnewton not tell someone to extend their interval. That tells me alot,and I would listen.
So no extended intervals,and put a by-pass system on it.

The choice to extend is up to him.

I try, as best possible, to clarify my statements with qualifications. I would not extend the OCIs when factory warranty is in play. On some engines, it's a very low risk and perhaps worth taking.

But the 6.7L engine family is fairly new, the total history is still developing, and it's a VERY expensive engine to have to work on or replace. Thoughtful sense dictates that OEM OCIs per the IOLM would be prudent in this case.

He wanted to know if there is anything wrong with running 15w-40 Delo; I would say that there is not. He stated that he's not going to extend the OCIs; that would be sensible in this case. Ford requires a CJ-4 rated lube; they only "recommend" 10w-30 or 5w-40.

Taken directly from the 2012 Diesel supplement, 3rd printing:
"5W-40 or 15W-40 oil is recommended for fuels with greater than 5% biodiesel (B5).
and this:
"For normal or severe service, use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming to
Ford specifications as listed in the Maintenance product specifications and capacities section in this chapter or API service categories CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM.
(underlined emphasis by dnewton3)
and this:
The following conditions define severe operation for which engine operation with SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4 is recommended.

There is a difference between what is recommended, and what is required. Any CJ-4 approved lube is all that is required. The grades matter only in that they are preferred, not a necessity. As you can see, Ford allows for many grades and recommends upon many differing inputs, but they only "require" CJ-4 rated lubes.

In this case, it is a game of semantics with words ...
For several years, Ford put something to the effect of "BP fuels recommended" on the gas filler caps of the gasoline vehicles they made (I'm paraphrasing here; cannot recall the exact wording). Does that mean that I have to use BP fuels? No - it does not. Just because Ford recommends something, does not mean it's required. What is "required" will be fairly spelled out; it's a condition of the M/M act where they are compelled to tender the conditions upon which warranty is predicated. But that law does NOT require them to be exclusive; they can include "recommendations" along with the "requirements". There is already case law from years ago that allows for variation from "recommendation". Only "requirements" are to be adhered to in warranty compliance. That does not stop OEMs from offering their preferences, but you are not mandated to follow them. Your only obligation to comply with warranty is to follow the "requirments" or other mandates; they must be cleary stated, but can be imbedded into other (less than obvious) intent.

Given that his vehicle is under warranty, and in his area (Portland) I see the pragmatic approach to be OEMs by IOLM and a lube that is CJ-4 licensed; nothing more is "required". The Delo 15w-40 will be fine and he will be in warranty compliance with that licensed lube that is in a grade allowed for by the Ford criteria.

From there on, the choice is his to make. He now has the information available to make up his mind. He can chose by facts or emotion; either path might make him happy.

Last edited:
From memory...the 2012 PSD manuals in our trucks at work say 15W-40 is fine...but the manual does show that for temps above 20F in that little "range" chart with the arrows. Since these engines are common rail injection...the issues once seen with HUEI technology is all but gone in the cold. My former 2002 Duramax started and ran perfect in negative temps using 15W-40. And so do the new PSD's at work. They get our service departments Citgo 15W-40 from the bulk tank gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back