BMW Service Interval Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car seems to have a slight dead spot in throttle when taking off from a dead stop. It goes away when in DS mode. Wonder if there is a software patch or upgrade for that?

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
My car seems to have a slight dead spot in throttle when taking off from a dead stop. It goes away when in DS mode. Wonder if there is a software patch or upgrade for that?

There's an aftermarket product which takes out the throttle delay of the fly-by-wire but part of the delay is the AT taking a second to find the appropriate gear.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

There's an aftermarket product which takes out the throttle delay of the fly-by-wire but part of the delay is the AT taking a second to find the appropriate gear.

The delay only seems to be from a dead stop so I would think it would always start with 1st gear.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

The delay only seems to be from a dead stop so I would think it would always start with 1st gear.
IIRC when in non-sport it starts on 2nd. If you get on the throttle it'll ta second to downshift into 1st.

Back OT I wonder if anyone considered that with the mfgrs selling maintenance along with the car that this could influence OLM programming?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Back OT I wonder if anyone considered that with the mfgrs selling maintenance along with the car that this could influence OLM programming?

Hard to tell. IMO Environmental regs are the driving force behind the development of long drain oils. Without those regs I doubt the syn market would as advanced as it is today. No M1 0w40.

I read somewhere 30k mile OCI were next (I'm going to guess that's in a hybrid such as LNG/electric).

I think Doug Hillary would have some insight as to what happened.

Last edited:

I don't have documentation to back it up but pretty sure I read that the BMW OLM programming went to a longer drain interval at the same time BMW offered free maintenance. That along with how much oil costs in Europe are probably both factors.

I don't have documentation to back it up but pretty sure I read that the BMW OLM programming went to a longer drain interval at the same time BMW offered free maintenance. That along with how much oil costs in Europe are probably both factors.

Chicken or the egg conundrum. BMW free scheduled maintenance was proposed and started in South Africa of all places.

Last edited:
BMW change intervals were fixed at 8-10,000km long ago. As soon as no-cost maintenance was included, it suddenly became variable and up to 25,000km.

Coincidence? Maybe. Oils have certainly improved over time and in conjunction with larger sumps, the longer intervals are not totally ridiculous.

Good collection of tips so far.

I learned last month that the OCI is actually 365+ days. If you got it on March 11, the earliest they would do a time based(low mileage) change is on March 12, Y+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back