$200 budget air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
well finally my craiglist craftman air compressor retired. This time I am decide to get a brand new air compressor . Moneys is not my main concern at this point, It just because I use it not very often , air up tires once in a while, run air tool to take off lug nut on my truck/cars. doing some car maintaince.... blow off some dust... as you can see, I dont need an heavy duty 500+ dollar one...

My budget is $200 mabe a bit more, but will do everything I list above. and last a while and not get rust over time... help me out guys thanks

Last edited:
up until you said run air tools and remove lug nuts.

I'd agree with not needing a heavy duty one.

You're either going to get about the same results from anything on 120V/15 Amps or step up your wiring to do something serious.

If you can perk up the PSI "a few" the first blast of your impact will be happier.

$200 is tough w/o buying used.

These are direct drive so run at ~ 3400rpm. 115V. The good thing though is that they are splash lubricated not oilless so that will help with longevity & make them a little less noisy. Also, they're portable at ~65# shipping weight. The only real difference between them is that one has a single "pancake" tank & the other has dual "hot dog" tanks; six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Model D2002HPV5 for $319 from
http://www.toolbarn.com/rolair-d2002hpv5.html 2-4 weeks
Roalir on Acme Tools 1-2 weeks but if the link doesn't work go to http://www.acmetools.com/ and search for D2002HPV5.
which is a 4.5-gal single pancake tank with these specs http://www.rolair.net/products/spec_pages/hand_carry/D2002HPV5.html#specs

Model D2002HSSV5 for $329 from
http://www.toolbarn.com/rolair-d2002hssv5.html 2-4 weeks
which is a 4.3 gal twin hot dog tank with these specs http://www.rolair.net/products/spec_pages/hand_carry/D2002HSSV5.html#specs

All are free shipping & no tax, of course. I searched a dozen or so sites & the above pricing was the best I could find.

Slug
welcome2.gif
TO TEXAS BUDDY. you should really enjoy it where you are
welcome2.gif

My little Makita MAC 700 has been perfect. It is VERRRRY quiet, powerful (large pump foe compressor size) It runs a 3/8 impact for trailer tires just fine, also runs leakdown testers just fine. With my paper air filter, mine goes from 0psi-130psi in 15 seconds.
Mine is oil lubed, this is the reason I bought it LOOOONG lasting and durable. I use RP Recip 100 in my compressor.
I would look at this one or an oil lubed compressor in the Mikita line.
My Satisfaction is 100% with this unit

Last edited:
Last edited:
Harbor Freight no longer seems to carry the compressor I bought, but it is very similar to the one zzyzzx linked to, except mine is red. I paid $80 after a 20% coupon. I have had it for about 3 years and it has not given me any trouble. I use a 1/2'' impact wrench to take off lug nuts with no problem. I also blow the grass off my mower, and that causes a lot of continuous running for the compressor.
I have been pleased with it, but I also know Harbor Freight is a gamble...

Makita Hotdog, MAC 700. Small tank but I have used it for airing tires, removing lugnuts, a finishing nailer, spraying texture and an air chisel. Worked fine for all except the air chisel, I would have to wait for it to fill the tank. It is a quality tool that sells for $200.

How long did the craftsman work for you before it died? As mentioned by others it'll be hard to get a cheap compressor for under $200 with a over 15 gallon tank. Maybe harbor freight is worth a look for you when it goes on sale. Some of their reviews are a hit or miss.

I have a 26 gallon maintenance free coleman compressor that I picked up for $80 from a guy that upgraded to a 50 gallon husky. I think when this one goes I might get a harbor freight.

By rust do you mean rust internally or externally on the tank?

Regards, JC.

This is on sale right now for $177 and if you have the coupon from the internet its at $159.00

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-Horsepower-21-gal-125-Cast-Iron-Vertical-Air-Compressor-67847.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNjk5NDMxMDciLCJza3UiOiI2Nzg0NyIsImlzIjoiMTU5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijc3NzQifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2513a&utm_source=1020

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Id consider a 20 gallon tank minimum. Stay away from the oil less ones too. Your not going to find much for $200 or less

Ive had great luck with my oil-less craftsman 33 gallon vertical 1.6, its rair than mine runs low on air, only when im running air tools constantly with it, like grinders or the like.. Ive had mine atleast 5 years without a hiccup. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND ANYONE, STAY AWAY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT AIR COMPRESSORS.. even the sales staff at harbor freight say "just go buy a Craftsman" they say they get ALOT of returns..

Last edited:
Oiled pump. The oil-less pumps have a plastic ring and if they run for an extended period of time the ring will degrade and fail. If the compressor only cycles for a few minutes at a time then that isn't alot of heat building up on the cylinder but once the whole thing gets really hot its a [censored] as far as lifespan.
I make my living with air powered tools and I've got 12 gas powered a 6 electric.
The small electrics are fine for running a trim gun,however try operating an angle grinder and see what happens.
Pay attention to the pipe that runs from the pump to the tank. A small one (3/8) or less is restrictive and cheap. 1/2 is the minimum when the tank is 15 gallons or more.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND ANYONE, STAY AWAY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT AIR COMPRESSORS.. even the sales staff at harbor freight say "just go buy a Craftsman" they say they get ALOT of returns..

most of the internet disagrees with you, but thanks for the opinion.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Its Not my personal opinion, i know the folks pretty well at my local HF and i go there once a week for deals, when i purchased mine (compressor) i asked them point blank and they said "We get alot of returns on air compressors, If your planning to use it alot save yourself the return and go buy a Craftsman" This was from one of the long term employees i know and trust his opinion on the products they carry. If im ever unsure about buying something at HF there are about 3 employees there i trust to point me in the right direction..
p.s. Sorry about the caps on that post, after i typed it out i noticed and simply didnt feel like taking the time to retype.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Its Not my personal opinion, i know the folks pretty well at my local HF and i go there once a week for deals, when i purchased mine (compressor) i asked them point blank and they said "We get alot of returns on air compressors, If your planning to use it alot save yourself the return and go buy a Craftsman" This was from one of the long term employees i know and trust his opinion on the products they carry. If im ever unsure about buying something at HF there are about 3 employees there i trust to point me in the right direction..
p.s. Sorry about the caps on that post, after i typed it out i noticed and simply didnt feel like taking the time to retype.

Man alive, you need to go to Harbor Freight once to get deals? Are you short on tool or just break that many? While I like some H/F items and buy their stuff, once every other month or so is plenty.

My H/F compressor has been in use now for over 10 years with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back