2011 M3 V8 - Mobil 1 0W40 - 2851 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better idle might actually be attributed to newer software on the 2013's ECM; anecdotal evidence on the M3 sites says that later ECU updates improved idling, cold start drivability, and low-speed shifting in the DCT. Coincidentally, I'm taking mine in today for all those updates to be applied.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I have since then sold the 2011, and acquired a 2013 model.

Just dumped the 1200mi service TWS after the MFEST, and I'm now running M1 0W40 with a full can of LM MoS2.

Will post result soon.

Same experience as in the 2011, oil needle reaches the 210degree marker way faster, and oddly enough, there's less vibration inside the cabin at idle now with M1 0W40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
OP: are you still running M1 0w40? Any updates?

My M5 was not sounding happy using Mobil1 0W-40. It made for a noisy Vanos system. How does the engine in your M3 sound with this oil?

Originally Posted By: NorWest5
I have since then sold the 2011, and acquired a 2013 model.

Just dumped the 1200mi service TWS after the MFEST, and I'm now running M1 0W40 with a full can of LM MoS2.

Will post result soon.

Same experience as in the 2011, oil needle reaches the 210degree marker way faster, and oddly enough, there's less vibration inside the cabin at idle now with M1 0W40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
OP: are you still running M1 0w40? Any updates?

My M5 was not sounding happy using Mobil1 0W-40. It made for a noisy Vanos system. How does the engine in your M3 sound with this oil?

Odd, I noticed no differences in the sound of my VANOS on M1 0w-40, BMW 5w-30 or (currently) PU 5w-40. It is very quiet on all three oils. My buddy with a 2000 has wild VANOS noise though, holy poo!
crazy2.gif

[/quote]Odd, I noticed no differences in the sound of my VANOS on M1 0w-40, BMW 5w-30 or (currently) PU 5w-40. It is very quiet on all three oils. My buddy with a 2000 has wild VANOS noise though, holy poo!
crazy2.gif
[/quote]

Have you tried the German made Castrol 0W-30? This is the oil I switched to and my M5 likes it much better than both Mobil1 and the Castrol made 5W-30 that BMW sells for this car.

Quote:
Odd, I noticed no differences in the sound of my VANOS on M1 0w-40, BMW 5w-30 or (currently) PU 5w-40. It is very quiet on all three oils. My buddy with a 2000 has wild VANOS noise though, holy poo!
crazy2.gif

Have you tried the German made Castrol 0W-30? This is the oil I switched to and my M5 likes it much better than both Mobil1 and the Castrol made 5W-30 that BMW sells for this car.

No, I'm not a fan of Castrol products, which is why I've historically used Mobil 1 in everything I own, and currently am trying out PU 5w-40 (with its INSANELY low NOACK).

So far, my consumption, which is usually 1L in ~8,000Km has been NIL with the PU 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quote:
crazy2.gif

No, I'm not a fan of Castrol products, which is why I've historically used Mobil 1 in everything I own, and currently am trying out PU 5w-40 (with its INSANELY low NOACK).

So far, my consumption, which is usually 1L in ~8,000Km has been NIL with the PU 5w-40.

It's a real shame PU 5W-40 isn't sold in stores.

I'm holding out for the reformulated GTL based PU 0W-40.

OVERKILL, if you like the low NOACK of the new PU 5W-40, Amsoil 0W-40 has a higher 184 VI and a NOACK of 7.3%. And it's available at Cdn Tire for less the the regular non sale price of M1 0W-40.

To each his own: Since my engine was broken in at 10,000 miles I've never burned or leaked a drop of oil from it (now @ ~ 30,600 miles). I like Pennzoil synthetics for the family Honda's but I would not run it in my M5.

guys, since I'm always inside the vehicle when I start the car, I can't really commend on the sound difference. As far as the sound when I'm inside the cabin, it's just loud since I have Akrapovic exhaust and Dinan intake installed.

The only differences I noticed are

1) Oil gets up to the operating temp. way faster, I'm talking about just 4~5 miles of freeway driving at 75mph. That's fast consider that there are around 9~10 qts of oil in the motor.

2) Motor just feels peppier, even more willing to rev <---this one is a given since the motor is working with a less viscous oil

I've always changed my own oil, even when BMW (and Honda)provided this service for free. I made the mistake of letting the BMW dealer that sold me the car do the 1st free oil change (at one year) and the dolts stripped the aluminum oil pan with the steel drain plug. Took them 3 days to receive the replacement pan screwing up my weekend.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I'm holding out for the reformulated GTL based PU 0W-40.

OVERKILL, if you like the low NOACK of the new PU 5W-40, Amsoil 0W-40 has a higher 184 VI and a NOACK of 7.3%. And it's available at Cdn Tire for less the the regular non sale price of M1 0W-40.

I only run approved (LL-01) oils in this car
smile.gif

To each his own: Since my engine was broken in at 10,000 miles I've never burned or leaked a drop of oil from it (now @ ~ 30,600 miles). I like Pennzoil synthetics for the family Honda's but I would not run it in my M5.

It is an approved lubricant and carries pretty much all the same certs as M1 0w-40 (and more than GC 0w-30). It is a fine product.

Also, for kicks, I've attached a list of approved oil for the M5/S63Tu engine, lots of cool 40wt oil in that list. The oils on the list will be okay for all BMWs from 2014 and up, M or not.

M1 0W40 is of course on that list

You'll also notice Ultra 0W40 is not on the list..hmmm

http://hyperrevmoto.com/S63T_Engine_Oil_Recommendations.pdf

Correct, is is the much lower NOACK GTL-based Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 that is on the list, which is what I'm using.

Guys,

Is there another name for Shell Rotella T6 across the pond? I see a lot of Shell Helix diesel oil on the list...just curious.

Vanos has quieted for me since leaving the TWS. It used to make noise on start-up and now is quiet with the Redline concoction I'm running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back