Stihl FS65AVE with Teikei carb won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. After lurking here for some time reading about old Stihl equipment, I expected to see a Walbro or Zama carb on this old trimmer. No such luck. A quick google search revealed not much love for the TK carbs: people said they were finicky and hard to keep running correctly.
Quick history: It was given to me perhaps 7-8 years ago. The PO had it 'thoroughly gone thru' to the tune of $110 back in '98. I used it a couple seasons, then kinda rearranged my yard to minimize weed eating. 3-4 years ago a small engine mechanic buddy put in a new plug, fuel filter and fuel lines and had it running strong. I abused it clearing the creek bank, then put it up wet(yeah, shame on me!).
So, today I dug it out, pulled the plug and sprayed some PB lawn mower tune-up in it, drained the tank and partially filled it with 40-1 Tru-Fuel, added a few drops of a PEA cleaner, and made sure that fuel could get to the carb(pulled the line from the carb: it dribbled out). Cleaned the plug, reinstalled, and tried a few pulls. Nada. It will start and run on starting fluid, but not without it.
So...right now it's on it's side with the carb full of Berryman's B-12, and I'm taking it to work tomorrow where I have compressed air to blow out the carb. I haven't put a compression gauge or spark-checker on it yet, but will before tearing it apart. What I'm asking for here is a diagram of the carb. I downloaded the owners manual, but it doesn't have pics/diagrams of the carb apart. Any guidance/tips/tricks, anybody?
Sorry so wordy!
Thank you
Scot

Have a look on Ebay for a carb or kit .

I worked for Stihl Canada for 17 years and handled a bunch of stuff for those old trimmers back in the day. They were not the best of machines .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back