Hydraulic lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I developed a lifter noise in my daily driver (2002 Blazer 4.3L) at around 150,000 miles. The truck has always used 5W30 Penzoil PYB. 20K miles per year of mixed driving but most trips are at least 15 miles. I have no external leaks but I consume 1/2 - 1 qt per 5K miles. I don't like miracle additives so I did a few shorter change intervals with better filters (same oil with K&N or Mobil 1 filters) and the lifter noise went away. For the next 40K miles I had no noise until around the end of the OCI so I would just change the oil and was back in business. On this last change at 195,000 miles, the lifter noise did not clear up. It's at cold start up and varies from a light tapping (mostly) to a scary loud rapping (rarely). Sounds like only one cylinder. It eventually goes away after warm up (2 - 15 minutes).

Although I am a big fan of PYB dino, I would like to see if a change in oil choice would improve this situation. Would you guys recommend:

1) A diiferent Grade, i.e 5W20.

2) A change to semi "synthetic" or "synthetic"

3) A change in brand (oh the guilt of straying)

4) Somehing I have not thought of?

5) Live with it because it's a Chevy with 200K miles on it and it's a miracle that it took this long to show up?

Thanks,

George

Last edited:
Your not interested in the miracle additive I've used for 30 years for GM ticks (MMO). The short OCI cleanup oil changes with PYB don't work. So.. try a couple of OCI's with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, or lower filter efficiency to increase flow.

Since you won't consider Kreen or MMO, how about a good HM oil like Mobil 1 High Mileage oil in 5W30?

IF it goes away after warming up, i would think the thinner oil is flowing better through the lifter. If may have a plugged/partially plugged oil hole. I would try an oci of mobil hm synthetic. It cleans. Thicker oil may make it worse if the sound is more noticeable when the engine is cold( when the oil is thicker).

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Your not interested in the miracle additive I've used for 30 years for GM ticks (MMO). The short OCI cleanup oil changes with PYB don't work. So.. try a couple of OCI's with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, or lower filter efficiency to increase flow.

One of the problems here is that I don't know the cause of the noise for sure. Is it flow/pressure, gunk, a mechanical failure, etc. I will restate that I would like to try any reasonable ideas that do not involve additives first.

I take it from your comments that you suggest an additive for my situation. Which do you think is best? Many years ago I used additives in older cars a few times and it cleaned them up "too good" and they started burning more oil. But that was a long time ago and I am sure that much has changed. I have not had a persistent lifter noise problem in 40 years, but other than early college junkers, I also never used to keep my vehicles this long either.

Which higher flow filter do you suggest?

George

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
IF it goes away after warming up, i would think the thinner oil is flowing better through the lifter. If may have a plugged/partially plugged oil hole. I would try an oci of mobil hm synthetic. It cleans. Thicker oil may make it worse if the sound is more noticeable when the engine is cold( when the oil is thicker).

Do you suggest one or more OCI's with a high "clean up" oil and return to PYB or make a permanent switch?

I tried to figure out the cause based on the fact that the noise was showing back up at the end of the OCI but there are too many moving parts in the equation. The oil is most likely becoming thinner and then eventually, thicker. Also the additive package is breaking down, the filter is filling up, etc. Because of this I was thinking of trying to get to the bottom of it thru some trial and error (thinner oil, thicker oil, more detergents, synthetic, higher flow filters, but I figure you guys could help me pick an intelligent starting point.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Try a hdeo like rotella10w30. Since your in Florida 15w40 would be ok too.

I have seen (here) some good summaries of oil characteristic and test results but not for detergent/cleaning content/ability. Can you point me to a resource?

Thanks,

George

Originally Posted By: George1954

One of the problems here is that I don't know the cause of the noise for sure. Is it flow/pressure, gunk, a mechanical failure, etc. I will restate that I would like to try any reasonable ideas that do not involve additives first.

I take it from your comments that you suggest an additive for my situation. Which do you think is best? Many years ago I used additives in older cars a few times and it cleaned them up "too good" and they started burning more oil. But that was a long time ago and I am sure that much has changed. I have not had a persistent lifter noise problem in 40 years, but other than early college junkers, I also never used to keep my vehicles this long either.

George

Actually its not modern, its old school Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). A mild cleaner and some lube. Helps determine if its just sticky, needs a cleaning, or something more like a lifter adjustment. $5 a quart at Walmart. Add 1/2 quart, see if it quiets down. If it does, an occasional maintenance dose may be all thats needed, stay with the PYB, or maybe change to a syn. If no change, try a lower efficiency filter. That would be something below 99% @20um, closer to 90-95% which there are plenty. Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator classic would be a good test if its a possible flow/restriction issue.

Not big on additives either. But there are a few that work well to diagnose problems, occasional cleanups, etc. For lifter noises, MMO is the way to go.

Not big on additives either. But there are a few that work well to diagnose problems, occasional cleanups, etc. For lifter noises, MMO is the way to go.

BTW, I am the guy on the Toyota forum with the stripped head bolt threads getting ready for an NS300L repair. What are the odds?

George

Actually its not modern, its old school Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). A mild cleaner and some lube. Helps determine if its just sticky, needs a cleaning, or something more like a lifter adjustment. $5 a quart at Walmart. Add 1/2 quart, see if it quiets down. If it does, an occasional maintenance dose may be all thats needed, stay with the PYB, or maybe change to a syn. If no change, try a lower efficiency filter. That would be something below 99% @20um, closer to 90-95% which there are plenty. Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator classic would be a good test if its a possible flow/restriction issue.

If MMO clears it up do you then suggest draining and going back to 100% oil or leaving it in?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Try a hdeo like rotella10w30. Since your in Florida 15w40 would be ok too.

I have seen (here) some good summaries of oil characteristic and test results but not for detergent/cleaning content/ability. Can you point me to a resource?

Thanks,

George

Use Amsoil straight 30 weight diesel oil or Chevron straight 30w diesel oil, they have more additives to disperse and keep contaminates moving. Diesel oil is known for this!

I would just use M1 10W-40 HM and be done with it. OCI at 5,000 a few times - then you should be good for 10k OCI after. 200k is not a lot of miles on a 4.3L V6.

First insure that your coolant is not getting low. It dont take much to leak into the oil and cause this issue. It is common among these engines for this to happen. No oil will fix this. It is a lower intake manifold gasket failure and will just get worse. If your convinced this is not the case, I would just use any 15w40 HDEO for a while and see if it cleans it up. These engines are not picky and will run on just about anything. If you dont like this idea, switch to a synthetic and try it. Do some experimenting and see what works. I had this same issue with my 01 blazer at apx 175K miles and I ended up having to change the LIMG. Never had an issue since. I could never tell by looking at the oil that there was antifreeze in it. You would think it would be obvious.

Please post your results. I would be interested in what you decide to do and how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back