Saving money with dino *and* additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen on BITOG, most dino users feel it's nearly as good if not as good as synthetic (or better). Therefore (they reason), dino is the better value and buying synthetic is a waste of money.

Question is, do users of oil additives typically use dino oil or syn oil?

Option 1: Dino users won't spend extra on syn oil because they don't perceive it to be a good value but will spend money on additives because they *are* a good value.

Option 2: Syn users typically prefer additives (therefore spending even *more* money) while dino users feel them to be unnecessary and another waste of more money

Option 3: Little or no correlation between additives and users' oil type

Make sense? Or are you all just tired of my strange questions?
twak.gif

syn user (M1 EP) here and i also use LC, FP, and VSOT.

i just like a little extra security/wear protection/lubricity in my ride
smile.gif

Good question. The only way I would go with dino would be with LC. Of course dino 15-40 could handle that interval better than other grades. LC would make things even cleaner.

If you were around here near the beginning, LouDawg, you could have read the back and forth between BITOG and the sworn to synthetics for life guys.

The crux of Bob's argument was that the base oil does not make the oil, the combination of base oils and add packs are what makes the oil.

Just search MolaKule's posts. I think he explains things pretty plainly.

JMO, as I'm here for the ho-hos.

No matter what the oil, dino or synth, I run LC and SX UP in it. Used to run VSOP, but can't find it anymore, so now I run SX UP. I run dino in cars I know I'm not keeping. I run synth in car I'm not sure I'm keeping.

I use LC regardless of syn or conventional.
Using LC with a good conventional such as a conoco . havoline or even the much dreaded valvoline ac is a greater value and this little booster keeeps the oil fresh longer.

Call it a crutch if you want to but a gallon of lc goes a very long way.

I run dino, with periodic Auto-Rx cleaning, every 25K. Some people prefer the maintenance dose of ARX, both regiments are very effective.
3800 V-6 and 4.8 liter V-8. This formula has served me very well in assuring good motor performance, through the useful life of the vehicle. Periodic cleaning, especially ring packs, assures me of proper compression for economy, less fuel dilution of oil, less stress on the emission controls.

ive used synthetic (moblie 1) and conventianl, moreso, conventional mos of my cars life, 95 neon SOHC now at 74,800 miles. i discovered, wven with synthetic, i ended up having ot use some kinda intake and valve cleaner, or gas treament, like stp concentrated, in order ot bring my mileage up, and and make my cars engine feel like it WANTS ot run, regradless of wether it wa a fresh oil change also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back