Looking for an oil recommendation - 2012 Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m looking to find the best motor oil to put in my car that fit my driving habits. I want to keep it healthy and running well for the years to come. I answers the general questions below.

So, when you ask for advice, tell us about your car! The more details, the better. Here are the essential points:

1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2012 Fiat 500 Sport - 6 speed auto - 1.4L I4 gasoline engine
2. What your owner's manual says -- SAE 5W-30 - API Certified and meet req. of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 - may use synthetic as long as quality req. are met and maint. intervals are followed; change every 8,000 miles or six months
3. Where you live - central Minnesota (warm to hot summers, usually miserable winters...)
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) in town (which is most of my driving) I usually drive pretty aggressive, on the highway I take it easy and follow the speed limits to maximize fuel economy
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) short (1 mile) city
6. Whether your car has any known problems - none

If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc. -- or any other info you think might be important, let us know that as well. - I would prefer synthetic, as it sounds like that is the best stuff for a modern engine. In past vehicles I have used Pennzoil Ultra, which has never given me any issues. I’m just curious if there’s something better for my driving habits out there.

Also, for the first several oil changes I’ve had the dealer do it. They put a window sticker in that wants me back in 3,000 miles or 3 months. I assume they just want my money, as I’ve never heard of anyone changing it that often. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would do the first oil change a bit early, but after that 8K miles, especially on a synthetic, shouldn't be too hard.

Pick a synthetic that meets Chryco standards and enjoy the car.

WELCOME to the Forum.

I would use a high quality 5W-30 synthetic that meets Chrysler's MS-6395 spec. Pennzoil Ultra (if you can find it) or Platinum are fine products, as is Mobil 1 or Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

With mostly hard driving in the city with frequent short trips / cold-starts, I would change the oil every 5K due to the severe conditions. Your driving style is the exception and more frequent LOF changes are needed - and especially to protect the turbo.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
How do you like the car? I love the little Fiats but have never even gone for a ride in one.

+1

I'd use Pennzoil Platinum .

Nice car,man.

a one-mile commute? You could probably walk, except in the winter of course.

I hope you do at least some occasional long-distance driving (20+ mile trips)

Do that and change the oil every 6 months. Any synthetic will do, and if Pennzoil Ultra works for you, there is no reason to stop using it! Ultra is a great product.

Welcome to BITOG!

Pennzoil Ultra, Platinum, QSUD or Kendall full Syn w/Ti. Any of these will serve you well. All of these oils meet Chrysler spec. Welcome to BITOG.

I would do cheapest syn 5w30, winter 0w30. And change it every 6 mo,per manual till car has warranty. Chrysler specs are nothing special,any major brand meets it. But if you have engine troubles,better drain and put the one it says it does meet chrysler 6395 on the label,just in case they decide to check before warranty work.
After warranty is up, do an UOA and see if your oil can stay longer than 6 mo, with such short trips.

I'm shocked that for your Fiat the manual says 5W=30 is required! I would have thought a 0W-20 would be the choice.

Since it is a Fiat I was told that Pennzoil is the factory preferred oil to use. Go with "Platinum" and change every 6 months like the manual says and drive the life style you have.

In my 01' Durango I'm using 5W-30 "Platinum" now and it appears to be a fine oil to use.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back