Push mower better than self propelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm referring to 21" walk-behind mower. Self-propelled now seems to be almost standard, but use to be less common then push mowers. I think in most cases push is better and self-propelled is the marketing of more expensive, less durable mowers.

Let's look at the advantages and disadvantages.

Push
Advantages: less expensive, simpler and more reliable and durable, more fuel efficient, lighter and more nimble, more power available to the blade all else equal.

Disadvantages: supposedly more effort to mow, less gadget factor

Self-propelled
Advantages: supposedly less effort mowing, gadget factor.

Disadvantages: just about all possible disadvantages

Does self-propelled even have the one main advantage that it is supposed to have? In my experience no. It might be even harder to mow than a push mower especially a really light push mower with say an aluminum deck.

The reason is if you have a yard small enough for a 21" walk-behind mower that is not extremely hilly but has obstacles, probably a typical suburban yard, the self-propelled mower takes more effort fighting you when you need to back up and maneuver around the obstacles. The engagement and maneuvering of the drive system is not perfect or as nimble. That's the experience comparing self-propelled to push with my good sized, slightly hilly yard that has a chain link fence, a large detached garage etc to mow around.

Maybe if you have a large yard with no obstacles and have to mow up a slight grade the self-propelled mower might make it easier. Or maybe there's a self-propelled mower mechanism that isn't intrusive when maneuvering but I haven't seen it.

Manufacturers want to push the more expensive, less durable self-propelled mowers and have made the push mowers now almost all low-end quality. I'd pay extra for a quality push mower that is really light with an aluminum deck and made to last. I think more people would be better served by that kind of mower.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Manufacturers want to push the more expensive, less durable self-propelled mowers and have made the push mowers now almost all low-end quality. I'd pay extra for a quality push mower that is really light with an aluminum deck and made to last. I think more people would be better served by that kind of mower.

Totally agree.

30-35 years ago lawn mowers tended to be light 18-19" side discharge affairs. God knows I pushed one for more years than I want to remember. Best of the bunch was grandad's old Lawnboy in all of its 2 stroke magnesium deck glory.

New mowers are just larger with heavy bagging attachments etc. New mowers are heavier, I am heavier and older. I like my self propelled mower just fine. 5 years old, and not a thing replaced on it. Bought 2 new drive wheels for it last year but haven't thrown them on yet.

self-propelled ones are a fad and with such appealing factor: they typically being preferred like 4:1.

That's why manufacturers trying to push the self-propelled ones more so than that of the manual push-mowers (more profits and selling volumes).

Bad news is, self-propelled means more stuff to break, and can be costly to repair.

If you want good manual push ones, look for the following features:

(1) big rear wheels; (2) wheels on bearings, not the cheepie plastic wheel bushings on screw type of setups.

Q.

I'm running a John Deere 6HP self propel thats 13 year old. It's a pressurized Kawi engine. Been a strong runner to date.

In the past 25 years (much of it with one 1994-built mower which I still have and use in the rough/rocky/stumpy parts of the yard) I've had ZERO failures (not counting belt replacement) with the self-propulsion mechanism on any mower.

Given that you can put a much heavier and more powerful ENGINE on a self-propelled mower than you can on the same-size push mower, and the more engine power means it cuts heavier grass more reliably and evenly (not to mention mulches and bags better), I don't think its a fad or gimmick at all. A 6-horse self-propelled mower just does its dang JOB better than a 3-horse push mower. Even a push mower with the 16-inch bicycle-like wheels in back. Its not just about operator comfort, its about doing the job better and faster.

Evidently you should buy the self propelled mower because exercise is bad for you and besides the standard mower is cheaper. Would you want your neighbors to think you could only afford the cheaper model? Actually I went through the same process and decided to buy the commercial push version of a Honda mower. I cut a half acre of various odd shapes and around a lot of trees and rose pots and the Honda has proved to be bullet proof. The only thing I do is change the oil, air filter (air filter gets replaced very frequently, a keep to making the engine last) and fuel filter (I added a bigger fuel filter) and replace the two blades quite often. I use Red Line 5w-30 mainly because I have it on the shelf for another vehicle and it appears to work well in air cooled engines.

I find the push mower much quicker/lighter to use and more maneuverable especially with those large rear wheels.

The drive mechanism adds weight and bulk to the mower.

If hills are involved self propelled has a major advantage.

I get pressured by my neighbors and wife to give up my 5-y.o. trusy Troy Built push in favor of a new self propelled. Most people I know that cut their own grass have a self propelled. My agrument is it's actually pretty good exercise to push a non-self-propelled mower through about 5,000 s.f. of thick Florida St. Augustine grass. I can definitely feel it in my arms and legs. Pretty much the only exercise I get.

I purposely buy the push mower instead of the self propelled model. My late father-in-law gave me his nice used self propelled Sears mower 5 years ago, but I normally walk faster than that and it feels like I am in slow motion using it. In manual mode like trimming under a tree, it feels like a dragging brake pulling it backwards. The deck rotted out and I sold it at a garage sale. My cheap ($120.00) new 21" push mower works great and much easier to use IMO.

For your heart, yes, the push is better. Never ever had a self propelled mower fail propelling itself going all the way back to pre-escape hard labor camp (mom n dads 1970's)

I have a push mower, never had a self-propelled one. My 15 year old Craftsman is still going strong. For my use, a push mower is more practical. I have a lawn tractor for the majority of the lawn. The push mower is just for the edges and spots where the tractor cant really get to. Lots of back and forth motions.

ya'll need to toughen up. I have a HUGE hill in my front yard and use an old school push mower. It has a 6 hp B%S engine and loves whatever gas and oil I put in her. Bottom line is the best value mower is the cheapest one.

This is right.
The cheaper mowers that you actually have to push are a better value.
I have 3/4 acre in grass, and all of my neighbors have riders.
I have two push mowers.
I just retired one this past week, and I estimate that it has a mere four hundred or so hours on it.
I guess I'm now down to one.
I paid all of $70.00 for it on clearance for Target in 1997.
The "good" push mower, that I bought for $180.00 from Target in 1995 is now back in regular service.
Seriously, a little workout cutting the grass can only do you good, and these simple machines last a long time with very little maintenance or repair required.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
In the past 25 years (much of it with one 1994-built mower which I still have and use in the rough/rocky/stumpy parts of the yard) I've had ZERO failures (not counting belt replacement) with the self-propulsion mechanism on any mower.

I don't know how much mowing the mower does, but belt replacements is still extra maintenance/repair that a push mower doesn't need

Quote:
Given that you can put a much heavier and more powerful ENGINE on a self-propelled mower than you can on the same-size push mower, and the more engine power means it cuts heavier grass more reliably and evenly (not to mention mulches and bags better), I don't think its a fad or gimmick at all.

How do you figure that though? Pusmowers and self-propelled have or could have the same engine. The self-propelled my have a slighly bigger bore version of the engine, but don't think it's significantly heavier or leaves more power to the blade when propelling forward. There's no reason to think that a push mower couldn't have the same engine because of weight or that a push mower delivers less torque to the blade.

Quote:
A 6-horse self-propelled mower just does its dang JOB better than a 3-horse push mower. Even a push mower with the 16-inch bicycle-like wheels in back. Its not just about operator comfort, its about doing the job better and faster.

Who's talking about 6hp vs 3hp? That's not reality. I have a Honda with a GVC160 and Briggs powered push mowers and a fairly new Briggs powered self propelled. None of the push motors have less powerful engines. They certainly don't lack power or cut and mulch grass inferiorly to the self-propelled. The self-propelled doesn't cut the lawn faster. I've timed it. I already covered how it's not really any easier either.

I just can't agree with anything you're saying here because, I just don't see any of it being the case in reality.

When I was in my 30s I only wanted a push-mower. When I was in my 50 & 60s, I only wanted a self-propeled mower. I am now 75 and want only a riding mower. I am not so stupid to think I am doing my body any good pushing a mower over a 1/3+ acre in the summer. Ed

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Evidently you should buy the self propelled mower because exercise is bad for you and besides the standard mower is cheaper. Would you want your neighbors to think you could only afford the cheaper model? Actually I went through the same process and decided to buy the commercial push version of a Honda mower. I cut a half acre of various odd shapes and around a lot of trees and rose pots and the Honda has proved to be bullet proof.

LOL I know what you mean. Even if a push mower takes a little more force to push, it's just good exercise. It's the heat and breathing grass clippings that's uncomfortable
smile.gif
. Which my self-propelled seems to throw off more heat and grass clippings anyway although I'm not blaming the self-propelled entirely for that.

On the long straight aways that are on a grade portions in my yard, yeah the self propelled is less effort. But even there I'm still having to stop and turn directions at the end constantly. That's where the heavier less maneuverable self propelled mower takes away about everything and maybe then some it gives on the straightways vs the lighter more manuevarable push mower.

Originally Posted By: Donald
As others have said these days you will only find the low end mowers "push" only (like a Murray).

Get a front self propelled.

There's still a few quality built push mowers I think. It's kind of like cars now. Oh you want this upscale model? Here, you have to buy all this add on junk you don't need and might not want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back