Importance of full synthetic in turbo engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Can you folks please explain to me the importance of using a FULL synthetic oil in today's
turbo engines?
I ask because I will be purchasing a new 2014 Chevy Cruze 1LT 1.4 Tubro Automatic.

It seems many folks on the Cruze Forums, switched right over to Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum,
Quaker State Ultimate Durability, etc for their Cruzes.

Any Cruze turbo owners here? And what FULL synthetic are you using?

Thanks

Generally speaking (and this is speaking at a very high level), synthetic oils will withstand the high heat and stresses much better. Oil is crucial to proper turbo operation and longevity, in addition to its normal duties throughout the rest of the engine.

The great thing about today's modern "dino" (non-synthetic) oils is that most of them do actually have some synthetic in them meaning you'll get a lot of the benefits without spending as much.

2011 up GM vehicles all require Dexos1 which it at the very minimum a semi synthetic.You have no choice but to use Dexos.No conventional "dino" for any new car.

Syn' oils can handle high heat better and most importantly are cleaner, don't coke up the turbo bearing.

All syn's ate good but those that meet the HTO-06 turbo cleanliness test are especially good.
M1 5W-30 is one example.

Originally Posted By: flinter
I will be purchasing a new 2014 Chevy Cruze 1LT 1.4 Tubro Automatic.

Didn't I just read someplace that GM is extending the 4-years/50,000 miles included maintenance program that Cadillac has offered to the rest of the GM family? If I'm not mistaken, your purchase will include that and your oil changes will be covered using a dexos1 specification oil at the intervals suggested by the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I will be purchasing a new 2014 Chevy Cruze 1LT 1.4 Tubro Automatic.

Didn't I just read someplace that GM is extending the 4-years/50,000 miles included maintenance program that Cadillac has offered to the rest of the GM family? If I'm not mistaken, your purchase will include that and your oil changes will be covered using a dexos1 specification oil at the intervals suggested by the oil life monitor.

That's not how I interpreted it: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/...nance-plan.html

just for comparison. your car engine maxes out at 6000 rpm's. Your turbo spins between 80000-150000 rpm's.
You want clean high quality synthetic oil. Anything less is foolish.
I'd run M-1 .OEM spec on a lot of G.M. cars and trucks.
It will protect your warranty too.

Yea, the GM maintenance program has been extended to all GM cars, which covers oil changes, but the dealer with just use synthetic blend. I would have to pay extra for a FULL synthetic, which GM
will not cover.

Hi,

Can you folks please explain to me the importance of using a FULL synthetic oil in today's
turbo engines?

Just consider that when Honda makes a turbo they insist an oil meet HTO-06. Which is a full synthetic specification. Their people know exactly what they're talking about.

I've had decent UOA's with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 in SN flavor. I use a full syn because it's less volatile, flows better at cold temperatures, deals better with high temperatures, and does all that for longer than even semi-syn oil.

63k miles on my 1.4T, most of those with a Trifecta tune, and it still gets excellent gas mileage, and pulls like a big V6 when needed.

Keeps the oil from vaporizing due to heat in the turbo after shutdown.

Older turbo cars had a big problem with this,
the new turbos circulate coolant (even after you shut the engine off)
through to keep the temps down.

Remember, after you finish driving and before you shut off the car,
sing "Happy Birthday" (or whatever little ditty you want)
while the car idles, then turn the car off.
This will cool the turbo off, and move some oil and coolant through...

Last edited:
I can't. I have used dino every 4k in a Subaru Legacy turbo 8yrs/150k no issues so far.

Hi,

turbo engines?

Turbo = more heat. Syn oil withstands heat better than dino. The difference in cost for the oil is minimal compared to replacing a turbo. Filter cost and labor is the same.

Another thing to consider for the Ecotec 1.4T is that it gets the oil pretty hot in normal use. 250*F oil temperatures while cruising down the interstate are not unheard of. That's reason enough to run a full syn.

Also, the Ecotec 1.4T shreds the semi-syn AC Delco oil in ~5000 miles or less, while a full synthetic can safely go 7500-8000 miles. For the minimal additional cost when DIY'ing, it's worth the extra $3-5 to not be crawling under the car as much. The drain plugs are also very easy to strip, so it's saving the drain plug additional wear/tear. A new drain plug is about $15-20 at the dealer.

I UOA'ed since I didn't fully trust the OLM. It turned out that running the OLM down to 0% really meant that the oil had no life remaining. Based on that information, I now shoot for changing at ~7500 miles and 20-25% oil life remaining. That way I know the oil's still good but near the end of its life when it's changed. Darned good information for me and other owners to know, especially those like me who are viewing their car as a long-term commitment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Hi,

turbo engines?

Turbo = more heat. Syn oil withstands heat better than dino. The difference in cost for the oil is minimal compared to replacing a turbo. Filter cost and labor is the same.

Really? The difference between "conventional" and "synthetic" is not that much today.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Super.aspx
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.aspx

It is more important to ask which turbo and engine we are talking about rather than making a blanket statement.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Volvo has been doing turbos for years and years. They recommend conventional oil changes on most vehicles.although my son uses GC.

Sure, but every one I ever worked on that used conventional and changed it every 3,000 miles got heavy varnish.
Same for every other major turbo gasoline engine I worked on.

So I only use full syn in any gasoline turbo engine.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Keeps the oil from vaporizing due to heat in the turbo after shutdown.

Older turbo cars had a big problem with this,
the new turbos circulate coolant (even after you shut the engine off)
through to keep the temps down.

Exactly. Old turbos did not have the coolant jacket to keep the bearing temps down. That's why some people are still suspicious and reluctant to have a turbo, because of the old designs which would often coke conventional oil, no matter how often you changed it.

Yea, the GM maintenance program has been extended to all GM cars, which covers oil changes, but the dealer with just use synthetic blend. I would have to pay extra for a FULL synthetic, which GM will not cover.

Right, which I may do with my new Cadillac ATS. I haven't breached the topic with the dealer yet to see what the full synthetic upgrade/surcharge would be. I can't imagine that it would be more than $10 though. But dealers always surprise me.

On the topic, what is the group's thoughts on a dexos1 specification blend in a Turbo such as the OP's Cruze and my ATS' 2.0? Any concerns about running such a blend for the interval recommended by the OLM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back