EOS additive and Rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search on EOS being added to engine oil. I found people mentioning adding a few ounces to a whole bottle. Has anyone added EOS and had good results?

I will be breaking in my new Ford 300 with Rotella 15w40 or SuperTec 5w30 and was planning on adding the whole bottle of EOS for cam break in. Then after the first quick oil change after break in I will run Shell Rotella T 5w40 syn.

I also read an article in the June 2006 HotRod magazine about cam failures with flat tappet cams. They recommed EOS and Shell Rotella oil and Quaker State Racing oils.

Should I add EOS to my engine oil for break in?

Apparently breaking in a flat tappet motor with Rotella 15w40 is recommended. I'm a little worried about the 15 weight cold start. Any recommendations?

Use the bottle of EOS or other breakin additive. I think that compcams/crane/... sell intial break-in oil additives for non-roller cams. With the additive, you can use the cheapo 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40 motor oil if you think that 15w40 won't flow in your weather conditions(spring is here). Racing oils and 30wt HDMO oils are also available.

Make sure engine oiling is primed prior to the 1st start. If not primed, it should be overfilled to allow for filling the empty oil filter and other oil nooks and crannies. Nothing worse then running a brand new enigne low on oil during its 1st 20 minute 1800-2200rpm cam break-in run(engine should be broken in following the cam MFG's and/or builder's recommendations).

i add torco assembly lube to my oil whole bottle it is a sybthetic loaded with all kinds of additives and it mixes with oil and does not increase viscosity...

Should I be concerned with the 15w40 Rotella for engine break in or normal driving afterwards? Summer is here in Missouri. Most days are from 70-92 F. and getting hotter. I have never run a 15w40. It seems some people think the oil is too thick for a new motor. Is there any science behind that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back