Help me choose: VW Jetta GLI or VW Passat 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dareo
To put up with a Volkswagen and not have a turbo diesel does not compute in my head. I'm not saying they are bad cars, just need extra attention compared to more reliable (bumper to bumper) gas cars. I'd go TDI or some other brand.

Based on the factory recommended service schedules my VW needs less attention than the same model year Camry.

Agree...nothing to "put up with." So many cars now have an oil spec, so this was a past knock that isn't quite an issue, or rather it's the same deal as other new vehicles.

As far as special tools, fluids, etc. Well, maybe the tools, but again, many other vehicles require "special" coolant,etc.

Knock on wood..I have put a lot of miles on my VW cars, and my parents a lot of miles on their Audis. They have been as reliable if not more reliable than BMW, Lexus, etc, which are all fantastic cars.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I have two MKIV jettas, (290k and 325k miles) and they are a hassle to work on. They are TDIs and the engine is extremely good and does not need anything. Its the rest of the car that is harder to work on, needs special tools, unique coolant, parts costing more, that type of thing.

It cannot be compared to a basic Japanese car, korean or american car too for that matter. In my opinion you do pay a price for a German car when it comes to fixing it, either DIY or hired out.

They still make the MKIV Jetta. (Classico) Can't buy it in the US but they still sell them in Mexico. (along with the Polo, Gol, Crossfox...etc...)

I don't agree that you can't compare gasoline model VWs to some Japanese and American cars. Mazda has long been favorably compared with "German" ride and handling. Acura often compares favorably against comparably priced Audis. Some years of the Maxima and the departed 300M compared favorably as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments everyone. On your questions, no the bank has no policy on what car I drive. Yet, I feel like I should fit in with others driving mid-size conservative cars like Camry's and Accords.

The 5 speed MK4 Jetta I'm driving now though has ingrained a sporty desire to my daily commute and that's why I thought a GLI would continue that fulfillment. I am leaning towards it - maybe the DSG version.

But, the Passat's 2.5 engine I read is bulletproof similar to the 2.0 I have now. It's got good reviews and has an Audi-esque look to it when seen from 8 o-clock.

I like VWs regardless of where it's made. I don't mind doing my own minor repair and maintenance when warranty expires. I've done brakes, AC compressor change, radiator change and of course oil changes on my Jetta so far. I actually consider these activities as a hobby.

Last edited:
GLI, but I am a bit biased
smile.gif

It will be a year or two from now. That A3 looks nice. Depending on the price, I may consider it too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Falken

Point of the story is if you want a German Luger, buy a German Luger. Get it in WRITING and check the VIN before you take possession of the thing!!!

As far as I know, it's not even an option to request a "made in Germany" Passat or Jetta anymore. The US version of a Passat is different and is not made in Germany at all. It's now USA-made. And Jetta - Mexico only. Only the Jetta SportWagen is still made in Germany, but there is no SportWagen GLI available to us.

You can collect direct from the Factory in Wolfsburg, being assured that your new German car is actually a German car.
You guys buy cars made in Mexico, by Mexicans, whose only German feature is the badge on the grille.
Talk about apples to oranges!!

Originally Posted By: Olas
You can collect direct from the Factory in Wolfsburg, being assured that your new German car is actually a German car.

Those of us in the US can't. VW does not have a European Delivery program.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Olas

Those of us in the US can't. VW does not have a European Delivery program.

Given VW's troubles as of date, that just might be the only delivery program they'll have. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back