Which SUV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I are planning on buying a mid size suv. we need to keep the cost at $10000 max.
From my research this puts us in the 2004 or so 100k miles range.
what ones are the best and worst. I have identified the ones that are considered the worst and best but some real world opinion would be nice.
And by the best I mean reliability.
Thanks

I love my crv you should be able to find a 2nd gen one with that price range!

I paid 4,000 for my 2001 5 speed with 84,000 miles

Do you want a true SUV(built on pick-up platform) or crossover(built on car platform)? For structural solidity a true SUV platform is what you want.

If you want a reliable SUV choose a 3rd Generation(1995-2002) Toyota 4Runner that has been maintained and rust-free. I can't vouch for the 4th and 5th generation 4Runners' longterm reliability but I can offer you this, I would not trade a brand smacking new 2013 4Runner or any make/model SUV for our 1997 4Runner Limited w/ 302,000+ miles on it even if it were a free even swap.

Last I checked this guy had 650,000 all original miles on his 3rd Gen 4Runner. LINK

Just did the same thing with the same budget.

Honda's insurance run 15-20% higher than other manufacturers do to cost of parts.

Forget the Korean brands, that year range is when they were still working kinks out.

The trailblazers have not proven as reliable long term as the Jimmy's and blazers, just a though.

If you can afford the fuel, 4.6 explorers will run foreversl...

The Ford escape and Mazda are the same, and suck for running up high miles on, don't believe me, ask around on their forums. Not many hit 200k.

The subarus that are turboed are bulletproof with gorgeous interiors if you shop around. Their naturally aspirated go through headgaskets every 50-80k due to the boxer design. Ironically, high miles accumulated quickly seems to hold off this issue. Naturally aspirated motors just have zero cylinder support, they wobble, boom, leaks.

The crv is bulletproofish, but it sucks on fuel.

The rav4 2.0 is bulletproof but needs timing belt waterpump every 90k. The rav4 2.4 is bulletproof, but needs frequent water pumps...50-100k. Avoid 01-04ish rav4s like the plague, computer issues.

Jeeps are fun, but they aren't the greatest reliability wise outside of the 4.0.

The 4runners are great if maintained just poor MPG. Driving slow and the 2.7 fixes that to some degree.

The 2005+ grand vitara are gorgeous mini suvs, buy drink fuel like a suburban. Also with Suzuki bankrupt in this US, nearly any accident is a total.

Sidekicks and trackers are cheap, bumpy, require timing belts and water pumps every 50k...but parts are retarded cheap. Built on a truck frame. Slow. But... true 4wd with transfer case, rear wheel drive, andi use mine to drag trees all over the property. Best part is 28-30 MPG stock.

Sequoias and gx470s are an option in that price range, but fuel hurts. Offset by low low maintenance.

The exterra is also a decent rig, but their aren't many with high miles.

I ignored German brands and the huge domestics... if you can afford to DD either uoi don't need my advice.

Honestly...gx470 or4runner for the win.

Honda CRV!!! My cousin has one and they are great little suv's. Very smooth and very reliable. Decent gas mileage too. Toyota 4runner or hilander, skip the trailblazer, not reliable at all.

Excuse typos, on phone.

We bought a low miles tracker, put 2k into suspension (OME out of austrailia), maintenance parts, and a good radio.

It will see 300k miles, or I'll eat my own hat.

Just buying an arb or ZOR front bumper, rear bumper, and rock sliders so a fender Bender doesn't total it. Then again, full coverage with progressive and emergency help with AAA is 500$

Not a choice for everyone, but... we live down a long long dead end road, if a tree falls across it, I can always go either over or around and make it home.

And you can go places like this...

20130101_134702.jpg

Hyundai santa fe very nice vehicle 10 years 100,000 mile warranty they are not cheap anymore but you can find one in your price range at some dealers

I like the Blazer better than it's replacement, the TrailBlazer.

They made them up 'til 2005.

4.3 is solid. Fuel pump and CPI spider are suspect but everything that rotates and reciprocates in the engine is pretty tough.

Hard to argue against the 4Runner, but you could get a newer,lower mileage Blazer for the same amount of money.

I also like Cherokees, but that would take a little shopping around. Just Jeeps in Fort Worth occasionally has a very nicely refurbished Cherokee in stock. I'm certain Colorado has a dealer like that. (I should have grabbed that '96 Cherokee Country they had for myself
33.gif
)

I assume that you will want a 4X4/AWD in Colorado, but if that is not an absolute necessity and you just want the cargo space, you can probably get a Chevrolet HHR LS in that price range. C'mon...who doesn't like an Ecotec?
laugh.gif

You aren't really losing too many miles per gallon if you move up to a Tahoe. If you are okay with the size, they are pretty reliable.

I would be looking at a 4Runner. Lots of them out there with tons of miles on them. I have been looking at them myself as a second vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back