Mobil 1 Vs Royal Purple vs Penzoil Ultra vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience,Mobil 1 is the best bang for the buck. Royal Purple as long as it's the Synerlec formula is one of the best imo as well. I've never used Amsoil engine oils or Pennzoil Ultra,so I can't comment on those.

Just go to Walmart and get the 0W40 jug and you'll definitely have *one of the best* oils on the market. WM also carries Mopar filters I think.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Please don't ask the same question twice in one day.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3031205#Post3031205

I apologize for starting another related thread. I am looking for a comparison between these particular oils and i tried asking this in a reply on my other thread but the thread seems to have gotten out of control on an unrelated topic and no one seems to respond to anything i say because they are having an unrelated debate.

again I apologize and thanks for the help,
lightningbee

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Royal Purple as long as it's the Synerlec formula is one of the best imo as well.

I didn't think the RP 0w-40 had the Synerlec, having been SM, unlike the normal API grades at the time with Synerlec, which were SL. I was under the impression that the RP 0w-40 didn't have the Synerlec because of the ACEA specifications it claimed, but I could be mistaken about the reasoning. If I recall, though, the 5w-40 had the Synerlec and still might.

But, to the original question, whichever oil is certified for your application and is simplest and cheapest for you to get will do the job. I have great confidence in XOM, RP, SOPUS, and Amsoil. They all make excellent products. The M1 0w-40, of course, has a pretty impressive list of specifications and certifications.

Originally Posted By: lighteningbee
who makes the best 0w-40 quality synthetic oil for my 392 hemi engine

Thanks and I apologize if this question has been asked before

Hasn't this been covered in your other thread?

Any of those oil brands are excellent and will do the job and do it well. It really comes down to opinion between them. My opinion is RP is the best choice. I have run it for decades in many vehicles including MOPAR muscle cars and HEMI Ram trucks with nothing but great results.

Others will say M1 while others will say PU. You won't go wrong with any of them. One thing I can say is there is no best oil. No such thing exists.

FYI however. Amsoil doesn't have a 0W40 for car use. You would have to go with a 5W40 European Formula oil if you ran Amsoil and they don't have any API certified oils in that weight( that I see ).

IMO...

1 - RP ( EDIT - with an RP oil filter )
2 - PU ( Current FF )
3 - M1 ( Previous FF )

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Hasn't this been covered in your other thread?

Any of those oil brands are excellent and will do the job and do it well. It really comes down to opinion between them. My opinion is RP is the best choice. I have run it for decades in many vehicles including MOPAR muscle cars and HEMI Ram trucks with nothing but great results.

Others will say M1 while others will say PU. You won't go wrong with any of them. One thing I can say is there is no best oil. No such thing exists.

FYI however. Amsoil doesn't have a 0W40 for car use. You would have to go with a 5W40 Eurpoean Formula oil if you ran Amsoil and they don't have any API certified oils in that weight( that I see ).

IMO...

1 - RP
2 - PU ( Current FF )
3 - M1 ( Previous FF )

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Does your owners manual say "Motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-10725 and are approved to MB 229.3 or 229.5"?

When I looked in the manual online for his vehicle it just said 0W40 and API certified to SM. I didn't see any Chrsyler oil spec listed/specified.

Actually I think I encountered this with my hemi. The M1 stated it was recommended for and not meets or exceeds,or some kind of fancy wording where Mobil isn't actually certified for the Chrysler spec.
Regardless I don't believe for 1 second that any Mobil product in the correct grade wouldn't meet the Chrysler spec.
So basically the consumer who got the shaft from the dealer because of oil he would have to prove that the oil was acceptable,it basically gives Chrysler an out,or loophole. Which in my opinion is a very dirty move.

There is no oil that can compete with M1 0w40, especially when you consider Walmart oil prices.

Originally Posted By: buster
The best 0w40? Mobil 1.

I'm not so sure that M1 0W40 is the best, I think for $22.xx 5-qt jug at Walmart everyday it's the best value 0W40 money can buy.

Oh. As far as m1,rp,amsoil and pu. The euro blend from royal purple still have synerlac,but I don't think meet the API approval(I could be wrong). Amsoils top shelf oil also has no certs but is a fantastic oil,pennzoil ultra would be a fine choice if you can find it and M1 0w-40 has countless certs and is recommended by so many performance auto builders that its tough to beat. And availability and price is pretty good too.
Red line is also a great oil and my personal favorite however again no certifications. So in reality if you want to maintain your warranty your choices are limited.
There are some top notch oils that don't have the certs that I'm sure will perform superbly however do you really want to possibly risk warranty denial based on using an oil that didn't carry the proper certification.
I wouldn't risk it.
I'm not a fan of Mobil whatsoever,in fact I'm a hater but in this case it seems like the obvious choice.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Does your owners manual say "Motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-10725 and are approved to MB 229.3 or 229.5"?

When I looked in the manual online for his vehicle it just said 0W40 and API certified to SM. I didn't see any Chrsyler oil spec listed/specified.

Ya this is what i found in the manual --"Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the
American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SM or
SM/CF The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic
SAE 0W-40 engine oil or equivalent.."

There is no best oil for all applications but when it comes down to approvals and certifications there is no question that Mobil 0W-40 is the best, with Pennzoil closely behind. If you consider Mobil's daily Walmart price in comparison to the boutiques and then it is practically a no-brainer.

THIS:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Actually I think I encountered this with my hemi. The M1 stated it was recommended for and not meets or exceeds,or some kind of fancy wording where Mobil isn't actually certified for the Chrysler spec.
Regardless I don't believe for 1 second that any Mobil product in the correct grade wouldn't meet the Chrysler spec.
So basically the consumer who got the shaft from the dealer because of oil he would have to prove that the oil was acceptable,it basically gives Chrysler an out,or loophole. Which in my opinion is a very dirty move.

PLUS THIS:

Go back to THIS: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3031696

So even though M1 is a great oil, Chrysler isn't happy with it (yet). Amsoil doesn't "do" certifications, but that would be my choice.

That leaves RP (not a fan, it's a good oil but not for any long OCI duration) and PU is unarguably a great oil.

You didn't mention GC (German Castrol) which most BITOGers agree is fantastic.

Chrysler's spec was M1 0w-40 for many years on the 6.1. It was printed right on the oil cap!

After reviewing the various new certs like Dexos and such you can easily see that the process is highly subjective. Oils that easily meet or beat the standards sometimes do not submit themselves for certification. Who knows why...?

My engine is living proof that M1 0w-40 is EXCELLENT oil, and it will continue to be used no matter who buys Chrysler the next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back