Mobil 1 vs Valv Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day All,

I have a 1989 Volvo with an AW70L Tranny (Toyota A43 Equivalent). I've started doing a bit of caravan towing, and the guys over on the Turbobricks forums rave about Mobil 1 ATF for severe service applications.

I live in Australia however, and Mobil 1 ATF is $22.30/qt here. I have been using Valvoline Maxlife ATF (which *says* is fully syn, but I don't really believe them). The Valv is about $9.80/qt by comparison.

I have a trans temp gauge, monster trans cooler, plus a Magnefine filter fitted. Is the Mobil 1 really worth the extra $$ or am I better off just changing the Maxlife twice as often (or am I being a fussy old woman)?

The transmission has ~420K/Km on it at the moment and I flushed it when I got it (2 years ago) and again a couple of weeks ago. I have a trans flush scheduled every 2 years when I do the brake fluid. I only do about 12,000K/yr but towing the van means a good proportion of that sees the fluid work pretty hard and get pretty warm. I figure a fluid replacement is cheap insurance, but at $22.30/qt I'd have to re-think that a bit.

Thanks for asking this question. I am in a similar situation and am trying to decide between these two fluids. I have been wondering if the price difference is worth it for the Mobil 1 as well.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
I have been using Valvoline Maxlife ATF (which *says* is fully syn, but I don't really believe them).

It is a synthetic fluid at least by legal definitions. I have no idea what the base stock is or isn't but its the same story with Mobil 1.
In any case its a very good fluid and works well in Toyota units.

Mobil 1 is a good fluid but i wouldn't pay twice the price for it over Maxlife.
I don't thing you would see any benefit with the Mobil 1 if you have a reasonable OCI.

Cheers for that guys. Perversely, it's only marginally more expensive than conventional Dex III here. I'll stick with the Maxlife then and just plan to pick it up in advance when it's on sale. (On noes.. I'm becoming an oil hoarder!)

As with nearly every topic here, this is a matter of ROI. If you pay more for the Mobil 1, do you get what you pay for? That would depend upon your OCI.

The only way to know for sure is to run some UOAs with each and compare/contrast the results.

You have a large cooler installed, and an excellent filter as well. The operating conditions, even when towing, probably are not overwhelming. You might consider installing a temp gage as well; what would go a LONG way to understanding the overall circumstances of the fluid's operating parameters. Generally, tranny temp is the number one thing that kills the fluid.

I suspect either is going to be up to the task.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Use Maxlife. It is indeed full synthetic now.
thumbsup2.gif
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back