Welcome to the Nanoverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, another oil additive to reduce engine wear?

Is engine wear really that big of an issue these days? I'd be much more interested in an additive that would make my existing oil last longer. I don't think I have an issue with wear per se.

The on going development of motor oil.
The more effective the boundary lubrication, a lighter motor oil can be used, resulting in a more efficient engine in terms of both power and fuel economy.

This also applies to transmissions, gearboxes and diff's.

Lets see,for myself one thing comes to mind:

Duralube
Slick50

21.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace

Duralube
Slick50

21.gif

Those are snake oil /additives that falls under Macro in nanoparticle sense.

I wouldn't even quote them in any of my response in fear of implying shame/ignorance on my behalf, citing the true worthlessness of these said OTC additives.

Q

Duralube
Slick50

21.gif

Not at all.
There are a number of formulators that are already using nanotechnology in high end racing oriented oils. Millers and G-Oil are just two that advertise that fact. Others have mentioned it such as Sustina, and I'm sure it's being used as part of other extreme usage (racing) proprietary formulations.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Duralube
Slick50

21.gif

Not at all.
There are a number of formulators that are already using nanotechnology in high end racing oriented oils. Millers and G-Oil are just two that advertise that fact. Others have mentioned it such as Sustina, and I'm sure it's being used as part of other extreme usage (racing) proprietary formulations.

Thanks for the info. I'm always skeptical when this type of product is brought up.

Originally Posted By: Quest

Duralube
Slick50

21.gif

Those are snake oil /additives that falls under Macro in nanoparticle sense.

I wouldn't even quote them in any of my response in fear of implying shame/ignorance on my behalf, citing the true worthlessness of these said OTC additives.

Q

The Chicoms are already on the case. I agree it sure sounds like snake oil. You know what they say if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck.

http://www.gasgoo.com/showroom/penzihon/auto-products/1668880.html

Edit: a few more..

http://www.nano-oil.com/

http://www.diamondlube.com/

http://www.uwiinc.com/andromedatechnologies/chemicals/products/nano-lube.htm

Last edited:
The nanolubes don't remind me of "snake oils". Instead, they remind me of chlorinated paraffins. They can clearly work as advertised. However, without user abuse, what else will they do, in a negative sense. Maybe nothing...

The website contains a lot of marketing hyperbole about the marvelous things their products will do, but I was not able to find any white papers or case studies about what their products actually are or what improvements they have actually been proven to make.

They sure have impressed some politicians, though. Including that paragon of scientific knowledge, Timothy Geithner.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, another oil additive to reduce engine wear?

Is engine wear really that big of an issue these days? I'd be much more interested in an additive that would make my existing oil last longer. I don't think I have an issue with wear per se.

I really wish that car manufacturers would better their rustproofing techniques and metals. My engines are easily going to outlast the bodies of both of my cars on current API and 502.00 oils, so if they would just make better bodies the car as a whole package would all last about the same time frame. At 111k miles, the Mountaineer is already rusting out on the driver's side rear door frame. Imagine that, it made it just past the original rust perforation warranty!

No available outfits in WI for Krown or Carwell or any of the other spray film rust fighters that our Canadian friends always talk about.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I really wish that car manufacturers would better their rustproofing techniques and metals. My engines are easily going to outlast the bodies of both of my cars on current API and 502.00 oils, ....

Then I would suggest you start using a 0W-20 oil in both you cars to maximize fuel economy and power. Even if you did increase wear slightly (and I'm not suggesting you necessarily would), the objective would be to have the engine die when the rest of the car does.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
The nanolubes don't remind me of "snake oils". Instead, they remind me of chlorinated paraffins. They can clearly work as advertised. However, without user abuse, what else will they do, in a negative sense. Maybe nothing...

+1 (although some here would call all CP's snake oil too).

here is some other info on NANO technology that I posted a while back in another thread:

Quote:
Nanotribology is a relatively new field of study (the big seminars hosted by the STLE started in 2009 and there is still a lot left to be discovered in the field. Because of how slow moving the oil industry is for change, I don't see widespread adoption of the possibilities for at least another 5 years.

Nanoparticles are synthesized molecular structures that are formed to produce specific results. So far silicates and borates have proven to be the most effective bases for the structures, however there is still more research that needs to be done.

This Article represents some of the major challenges that we are facing in the development of these new technologies.
This one talks about some of the advantages in reducing friction by using some nano opportunities

The biggest issue in this area, besides the lack of complete research, is cost. There are companies (like Millers) who have developed some impressive technology and has decided to take it to market, but unfortunately the way most of the "majors" see things is if it is good enough to meet the basic specs, and can make us lots of money, then that's the ideal choice. They don't care if they are actually the best technology, they just use very good marketing strategies to make sure the customer perceives them as the best.

Also, even when this technology gets adopted the majors' marketing departments are going to try to keep it a trade secret - just look at what castrol has done with titanium particles, they've turned it into a marketing game, which even though the technology may be better (not yet proven), none of the other majors can make any kind of push in that direction without being labelled as copycats.

I think that we will see products come to market (some good and some bad) just like we have with other OTS additive trends. Eventually it will either get accepted by the masses or rejected as snake oil. Most of them will be really expensive to start out with... only time will tell.

The on going development of motor oil.
The more effective the boundary lubrication, a lighter motor oil can be used, resulting in a more efficient engine in terms of both power and fuel economy.

This also applies to transmissions, gearboxes and diff's.

This site used to be all about discussing the latest and greatest oil/tribological tech, NOT just dismissing ALL that is not merely "good enough", and the best bargain, cost wise.

I guess not so much anymore.
frown.gif

dailydriver, I agree with you but I think you've quoted the wrong reference.

No, I was quoting you in support of the way we think about oil technologies (AND the way it used to be on here), and against the way it has become on here.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The website contains a lot of marketing hyperbole about the marvelous things their products will do, but I was not able to find any white papers or case studies about what their products actually are or what improvements they have actually been proven to make.

They sure have impressed some politicians, though. Including that paragon of scientific knowledge, Timothy Geithner.

Yeah, isn't he the financial genius who ran our Treasury? J/K! *****!

But the sites lack substance. Totally agree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back