18mm crush washer "backordered nationwide"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the second of three ATF drain and flush cycles for a Toyota RAV4. I reused the crush washer the second time and now it's beginning to leak, which is not totally unexpected.

Knowing I would need a fresh crush washer, I called my local Toyota dealer last week to buy a couple. They didn't have any, but special ordered part #90430-18008. He called back Friday and said these 18mm crush washers were "backordered nationwide" and had no idea when he could get some.

Called my local NAPA, O'Reilly, and Autozone stores and they're either out of stock, or don't sell that size.

Any idea where I could find one quickly?

Is there something really unique about this that prevents you from just going to a hardware store and getting something close?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Is there something really unique about this that prevents you from just going to a hardware store and getting something close?

That's a good question. I don't know.

I've been burned in the past by trying things like this on foreign cars, usually because hardware stores don't sell metric sizes.

Lot of 5 packs / 10 packs on Ebay for a few buck delivered.

I just got mine couple of days back.

14mm and 18mm washers 10 pack each. About $9 for 20 washers. Rip-off in absolute terms, but reasonable in relative terms. The parts dept. at dealerships want abot a $1.50 or so for each 18mm.

One word of caution (and sorry, I don't mean to preach...but just in case) - if you get anything from local hardware, make sure it's a "crush" washer. Hardened metal washers won't serve the purpose even if they are the right size. Some may look like Al but they are actually of some alloy or different grade of Al and are hard. You can tell by the look and feel. The crush ones feel very light!

Go to a Nissan/Infiniti dealer and ask for the crush washers for a G35's differential plugs- they are exactly the same size as that part number.

Originally Posted By: 535678
Originally Posted By: dparm

That's a good question. I don't know.

I've been burned in the past by trying things like this on foreign cars, usually because hardware stores don't sell metric sizes.

18mm is very very close to 11/16" or 3/4"...

Only in America can a 25-cent washer be "back-ordered nationwide".
crackmeup2.gif

Have you tried locating the drain plug WITH the washer, it's sometimes easier to find the plug with the washer.

I'm on the second of three ATF drain and flush cycles for a Toyota RAV4. I reused the crush washer the second time and now it's beginning to leak, which is not totally unexpected.

Knowing I would need a fresh crush washer, I called my local Toyota dealer last week to buy a couple. They didn't have any, but special ordered part #90430-18008. He called back Friday and said these 18mm crush washers were "backordered nationwide" and had no idea when he could get some.

Called my local NAPA, O'Reilly, and Autozone stores and they're either out of stock, or don't sell that size.

That is now a different number

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~gasket~no~3~for~transaxle~housing~case~90430-18008.html

Hello, 1) Gotta disagree with Overlord's "Only in America can a washer be backordered nationwide" comment. Only at a stinking car dealership can such a sweeping statement be made with a straight face.

2) Anyone who knows such a washer is used in their vehicle should have ordered a big handful along with a first filter order from the "specialty house" which caters to their vehicle

3) I've seen 18mm aluminum crush washers (I use 'em too) for sale at lots of auto parts stores. If they're large enough to have any selection at all; they'll have them. The AuotZone AND the PEP Boys AND the AdvancedAuto all have them on their pegboard.

4) I use an industrial grit paper to flatten my copper and aluminum 'crushers'. It works like a charm and I've never gotten a leak.

5) None of this is to be taken as a rant or flaming. There simply is no nationwide shortage of 18mm washers-just a shortage of DIYers such that the retailers don't all keep 'em in stock.. Kira

Last edited:
On my older Xj12, if the filter does not come with a new crush washer, I just heat the old one up with a torch to soften it, whack it with a hammer to make sure it's flat, and re use it.

I don't think I've ever actually bought one as a separate item.

Probably because homeland security is buying 2 billion rounds of ammo and the metal is being used for that...

How can they all be out of stock?

Di you try another local Toyota dealer? Next time order a 10 pack from Rockauto.com

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, 1) Gotta disagree with Overlord's "Only in America can a washer be backordered nationwide" comment. Only at a stinking car dealership can such a sweeping statement be made with a straight face.

2) Anyone who knows such a washer is used in their vehicle should have ordered a big handful along with a first filter order from the "specialty house" which caters to their vehicle

3) I've seen 18mm aluminum crush washers (I use 'em too) for sale at lots of auto parts stores. If they're large enough to have any selection at all; they'll have them. The AuotZone AND the PEP Boys AND the AdvancedAuto all have them on their pegboard.

4) I use an industrial grit paper to flatten my copper and aluminum 'crushers'. It works like a charm and I've never gotten a leak.

5) None of this is to be taken as a rant or flaming. There simply is no nationwide shortage of 18mm washers-just a shortage of DIYers such that the retailers don't all keep 'em in stock.. Kira
+1

"Bless me father for I have sinned"... I have been using the same washer on a Camry auto for close to 300,000 miles of regular drains. I don't overtighten it and don't notice any leaks. YMMV.

Not taking a risk here, I get my copper crush washers from the Honda dealer in Spokane, WA. Last time I had them send me 30 of them. I use them once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back