2003 Audi A6 2.7T in Safe mode (trans?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a car for sale with this issue that I can get to, and this is listed as the only issue. So, with that, I want to explore the issue as to what has to happen to get the car into that, etc. Also, more importantly, what has to be done to get it out.

He says the car is not driveable, but I do not see why that is, if its in Safe mode, but otherwise works..

Most vehicles enter a Limp Home mode when something in the driveline quits. If a wheelspeed sensor doesn't agree with a trans output shaft speed sensor etc. It is sometimes only a bad sensor.

Audis tend to have unique needs for servicing, you'll need a programmer at the least...

Sometimes if you over rev and shift down that will cause the car to put the transmission into safe mode. (Just as an example)
A trip to an Audi dealer is required for them to use their computer to diagnose and reset/activate.

It's actually called Limp Mode, and it means that something bad enough has happened in the trans that the ECU is trying to protect it from any further damage.

Usually this means that the TCU has recorded enough slippage that it thinks the clutches have reached the end of their lives, and it is limiting power so that the trans can potentially be rebuilt. It will lock it in 4th gear to limit torque.

The 5HP19FLA transmissions suffered from a bad torque converter seal (among other things) that may have contributed to the resulting limp mode. You would need the proprietary VW scan tool to look for the P0741 code to confirm. This tool will also reset the TCU to get it out of limp mode for the time being.

If you do get the tool and you can drive the vehicle, monitor measuring block 007, field 4 in the TCU section to see how much slippage the TCU is detecting. Anything over 120 means the seal is toast and the trans is eating itself.

A decent rebuild will cost at least $3,500 at an independant, and the dealer will charage $7,000 to just install an already rebuilt one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
It's actually called Limp Mode, and it means that something bad enough has happened in the trans that the ECU is trying to protect it from any further damage.

Why assume it's a trans issue? I mean, it very well may be, but it could also be an engine issue. There are many reasons why a car can go into limp mode.

^^ In the interest of disclosure, and per discussion, ad says:

Quote:
Transmission in Safe mode

The car is not drive-able as transmission slipped into Safe mode . I haven't checked the codes. I drove this car from NC recently (March)to move to NY and it was super good to Drive.Apart from transmission issue the car was running great(My daily commute) until last Monday. Price is slightly negotiable.I will not ship the car,Please No Scams. I will also consider offers if anyone wants to fix this for me cheap.

3r13Ib3J55I75L15E2d6b9832c8ec26a41fdf.jpg

3r63M83Jd5r65se5q5d6b0d22823710ea1aa0.jpg

He wants $1799. Also says "Reconstructed Title from NC."

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Why assume it's a trans issue? I mean, it very well may be, but it could also be an engine issue. There are many reasons why a car can go into limp mode.

It's a safe assumption because of the infamous reputation of the 5HP19s up until the late 2004MY when the converter seal was updated. Of course, it could be something else like a flaky MAF, but hanging out on the various Audi forums it was overwhelmingly a trans issue that causes limp mode. Being locked in 4th gear will be the tell-tale sign of trans problems.

I'd rather own 5 Dodge Omnis to one Audi.If you are loaded with bucks,carry on..otherwise they are money pits.Cant wait til another 10 years passes,I would be surprised if any are still running due to the complicated repairs and expensive parts.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
He wants $1799. Also says "Reconstructed Title from NC."

OK, so he took a salvage car to another state (NC) to have it wiped/reconstructed. Then he brought it back home to NY. Uhh... run.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Buy a Civic or Corolla for the same money.

Yeah, but what's the fun in that? TLG loves more excitement and complexity.
smile.gif

Find someone with a Vag-com (VCDS) in the area that the car is located and ask them to scan it. VCDS will identify the problem.

You can search TDI club to locate a VCDS owner that might scan the car for you. VCDS is a Volkswagen specific diagnostics tool.

I have one at my shop in lyndhurst if you need a scan. Youve gotta bring the car to me though. Last rebuild ran about 4400 using genuine parts and fluids in the rebuild, that was for a 3.0 though. SHould be about the same.

Quattro Pete is right, run away from this car. If I was closer, I'd check it out for you and give you the facts about it and possibly even be interested in buying it. In its current state, it's not worth more than $800-1k. It looks just like mine, though. I'd really like the lip spoiler off of it.

For those that are telling you to get a Honda or the like, an Audi A6 2.7t is about as far away from a boring Honda as you can get for under $15-20k. I've become and Audi mechanic out of necessity, but I won't trade the car for anything right now. It's stage 1 tuned and with a decent set of tires it's a blast to drive. The only thing I'd change about it is swap in a 6-speed manual, which many owners are doing nowadays.

If by WAAAAY west you mean from Atlantic City yes lol.

Right next to the NJ border.

1 hour north of Philly, 1 hour or so east of Harrisburg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
If by WAAAAY west you mean from Atlantic City yes lol.

Right next to the NJ border.

1 hour north of Philly, 1 hour or so east of Harrisburg.

Dude, wanna see the Taurus?
smile.gif

I can tell you I drove it like an Audi today.

Im in North Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back