Lucas in Ford Auto Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
MizzouGuy
Member # 12420

posted April 19, 2006 03:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any expert opinions on this Lucas Oil situation?

2 weeks ago I had my transmission fluid drained and refilled by a local retired mechanic after the ford dealership said I should get it done on my 2002 ford explorer with 92k miles.

I went and purchased the mercon V and he told me to get this lucas oil....

I pick my SUV up and drive it home. On the way, I stop at a stop light and when it turns green, my SUV won't go and I start rolling backwards and almost hit the car behind me. Finally, it kicked in and took off. The next day it did it to me 4 or 5 times to and from work. I called the guy and he said "yeah, it did it to me as soon as I filled it".

My SUV had never done this before. He told me to keep driving it to let everything get re-lubricated. Anyway, 2 weeks and 2k miles later it still does it maybe once in the morning and then it is usually fine except a rare occurrence here and there.

I took it to the ford dealer and told them and they hooked it to their computer and everything was showing fine and they couldn't get it to do it when they drove it...of course!

Now I read this forum and I'm wondering if the lucas oil has anything to do with my problem? Should I drain it refill it with just the Mercon V? Unfortunately, there is no dipstick so the only way to check is to pull the the plug underneath, but the dealership computer said the fluid level was ok!

Any ideas, help, or suggestion. (I am obviously a very NON mechanic)

thanks!

that thick snot has no place in a good trannie.
time for another flush.it might delay the inevitable if it was sick from low pressure but no way in a unit that is working normally.lubegard is the only additive i would consider.
auto rx if it needs a clleanup.

I too was victim to the Lucas Tranny Fix, and the 97 Prizm I put it in would not shift into 3rd up or 2nd down after it got warm. Drained it, refilled with 75W90 dino and some Synchromesh and got it right back to shifting like butter. Get that crap out of there now, and run a short change interval on the Mercon and change it again to get all of it. I still use some Lucas stuff, but that tranny fix is devil spawned.

So do I take it to the dealer and have it flushed, or have this guy drain it? I'm not sure what the difference is between a drain and flush!

Hopefully that is the problem, much cheaper than trying to repair the transmission!

When you look at the graphs of the results of different FM's for the Lubeguard black lit. on the Lubeguard website, I just have to believe one of the lines it is comparing against is the Lucas Trans Fix, this is what i think you ran into and why i am more concerned about the ATF in a vehicle than the motor oil regarding specs and whatnot.

Exactly which product did you buy? how much was used?

I think that you should get a 2nd opinion on the ATF level.

And, MerconV is an excellent fluid and doesn't need help. Get the fluid flushed with nothing but MerconV and have the filter changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back