How much B100 can I put in my gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, before you start yelling, consider this. Many gasoline additives use kerosene or diesel as the carrrier fluid. So adding 16 ounces of diesel to a tank of gas shouldn't be a problem. [If you think otherwise, please explain]. Admittedly, I'm asking about B100 and the stuff in gas adds is likely pure dino diesel.

Any guesses how much MORE than 12 ounces I could add? Reason I ask it, if one can make it for $1/gal even if you only add a little at a time, it's still a savings and it seems like the B100 would do a little cleaning as a bonus.

Thoughts?

Dave

I can't answer your question, but I have a related question for you: Are you talking about used fry oil B100, or are you talking about a rapeseed crusher (or similar) to make it for $1/gallon?

The problem with adding diesel fuel to gasoline is that it causes the octane to be greatly reduced, along with causing exhaust smoke.

True B100, not SVO could be added in very small quantities to gasoline (my guess is about 150 to 1)

Chris

Cujet, if I added a 16oz bottle of off the shelf fuel additive, most of it is kerosene. If I add that to 10 gallons of gas, that 80:1, so I've GOT to believe that 80:1 of B100 is safe.

Dave

bulwnkl, I'm not sure what your question is. I don't mean SVO if that's what you're asking [although that's an intriguing thought too
smile.gif
]

Dave

Depends on what your car will run on.

If you are running high octane, you can add a fair quantity of diesel/kerosene/biodiesel with less issues than if you were running a lower octane fuel.

Count diesel etc as zero octane, and use your fuel to calculate an average...or easier, take off 1 full number for every percent of zero octane stuff.

n8, I was just wondering what source you were thinking of using to make the diesel that would only cost $1/gallon. I know folks use used frying oil (like from McDonalds or similar places) sometimes to make it. On a larger production scale, a very good source is rapeseed or some varieties of mustard. Those seeds are crushed and oils extracted & refined into diesel fuel. Other seeds can be used, but the rape and mustards are the best sources.

TJ76, it is true that lower wear will be seen with properly formulated biodiesel. The thing is that there is no standard for biodiesel formulation. Because of this, quality control is poor and quality is variable if you look at all biodiesel production as a whole. Improperly formulated biodiesel causes much greater wear than regular diesel fuel and will destroy things like fuel pumps in short order.

1 ounce per gallon is a good shock dose for biodiesel in your gasoline.

A couple ounces per tank would be a good maintenance dose after the shock.

Problem with B100 is that it is not too friendly to rubber gaskets/seals/hoses/diaphragms/orings. This would be an issue with older cars.
The diesel crowd find this out quickly since they run B20% - B100.
But, as such a low dose in gasoline(<.75%), it shouldn't be a problem.

Schaeffer's Soy Ultra would probably accomplish the same thing as a little bit of B100 with the added benefit of cleaning your fuel system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back