Farm & other equipment Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get my family to switch over to Rotella T6 15w-40 oil, but does it exist? Is it one of the best routes to go?

Over winter I was looking into oil for my car, and the Rotella Oil really stood out from people talking about how great it is. Shopping around, I'm looking for a drum of the T6 15w-40, but not sure if i can even find the T6 outside of the 5w-40...

No man. Conventional Rotella is 15w40. The synthetic is 5w40...This is called T6.

You're in Canada bro....get the synthetic for lower viscosities at start up. You my friend, would benefit from the synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mikehra
I should check into the specific equipment in use in regards to changing the weight like that, may be too thin for the start up..?

I am not sure an oil can be too thin for start up. Many of your top oils today are 0W30. I am running T6 5W40 in my Cummins diesel.

well, its going into a Case IH Steiger with the cummins engine, as well as a few various other IH equipment including more tractors, combines, and the 6.5l turbo GMC trucks.

Others have already explained the difference between T6 and Rotella 15w-40. Are you looking for a 55 gallon drum? Where in Saskatchewan are you? There are a limited number of SOPUS distributors in Saskatchewan, and that's the only place you'll find a 55 gallon drum of the 15w-40. You'll find distributors in Regina, Saskatoon, Yorkton, Estevan, and La Ronge.

If you're looking for a 5 gallon pail, that's easier to find. Walmart has them at a sensible price. If you're open to other HDEOs, the Imperial Oil distributors have Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 for cheaper than what Walmart has the Rotella 15w-40 right now.

As others have mentioned, no oil will be too thin at startup. Whatever oil you choose, just ensure it has the proper certifications and specifications for your applications. The 6.5L is easy, along with any gas farm equipment.

Don't worry about synthetic unless you're using the farm equipment in the winter and are storing the stuff outside. Or, use it judiciously. The last thing an old combine needs is synthetic.
wink.gif

If you do want synthetic, go to a distributor. Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Partsource will gouge you severely on synthetic HDEOs, regardless of brand.

My two cents, and I DO NOT SELL THIS...I put in Amsoil on my last Kubota tractor change, and that was in 1984. YES not a typo. I last changed the oil in 1984 and have not added one quart since.
Bash Amsoil all you want, but I abuse this tractor. I leave it outside 24/7 run it in temp over 120 degrees in the Desert. I may just change the oil this year but chances are I won't because now it's a running experiment. I do not run Amsoil in my vehicles or anything else - WHY NOT? Because I never keep my vehicle long enough. I did run a NEW VEHICLE ( vehicle name withheld because of legal issues) to 60,000 miles on one oil change using Mobil 1. That was a Vehicle BUY back and I wasn't going to spend a dime on the Piece of junk. Just prior to turning it in I added two quarts of oil and that was the only time I even checked the oil ( three years 60K miles ) Still ran good, the buy back lemon issue had nothing to do with the engine.

I used Rotella T6 in my turbo'd gasoline 4banger for a while. Great oil.

Remember - the first set of digits are only your start up viscosity. If you're in Canada and get any temperatures below freezing, go with the 5W instead of the 15W. They will both be a 40wt viscosity once they reach operating temperatures. The 5W will just be easier to crank.

There are better fluids on the market, but it's hard to beat the price per performance that T6 offers.

Last edited:
Well by the sound of it you're on a farm. Why buy premium oil by gallon or even barrel?

Just go to your local Chevron supplier or whoever you can find and get a 275 gal tote of any 15W-40 like every other farmer does.

Doesn't matter how cold it gets, thats what block heaters are for. I would say that few places like maybe McMurdo Station put a premium oil like T6 in their tractors, much less a big Steiger.

Careful buying large quantities and storing it for long periods. Especially if you have large temperature changes. Additives will fall our of solution and your anti-oxidants are slowly degrading away. Try to only buy a year or two's worth at a time. Drums are easier to work with as well since they can be moved without any cart or lift.

Originally Posted By: Mikehra
I want to get my family to switch over to Rotella T6 15w-40 oil, but does it exist? Is it one of the best routes to go?

Over winter I was looking into oil for my car, and the Rotella Oil really stood out from people talking about how great it is. Shopping around, I'm looking for a drum of the T6 15w-40, but not sure if i can even find the T6 outside of the 5w-40...

Very late to this conversation, but, buying oil based on popularity probably won't make much, if any, performance difference in your equipment.

I would wager that equipment longevity differences between any certified oil would be almost non existent, except in maybe some extreme use instances.

There was a period here at BITOG when Rotella was just considered a mediocre oil. Nothing special. No slouch by any means, but nothing to indicate that is was superior to the rest of the lot.

Rotella is popular with the truckers and has name recognition like Kleenex does. I bet there are Canadian oils with similar or better specifications that might be had cheaper. Again, popularity doesn't mean it's better, but that Shell's marketing is better.

Just my 2 cents.

Doitmyself, i hear you there. i will run just about any name brand personally.
At the farm we run pennzoil only. grampa only used pyb for the 87 years he was blessed with. and the pyb servide him well.
In the gas stuff it is pyb 5w-20or30, last few years its been. ussually 20weight.
the diesel IH Farmall 560 diesel it is pennz longlife 15w-40. It's a shame to see the 560 sitting idle in the machine shed. the 300, m, and super h are atleast shielded from elements to. all have been used hard. but they all run hard to.

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back