petroleum jelly and seal swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used petroleum jelly on alot of things for years. Putting together an intake tract. Airfilter to airbox seal. Lots of stuff. Does it have any seal swell ability? Have my efforts been in vain?

I dont know about seal swell... It certainly could cause breakdown of certain rubber types, but youd certainly notice it.

For something like an airbox, it ought to at least hold the filter to the plastic a bit, and if air slips by, have an additional 'sticky' surface to catch particulates upon.

If youre not destroying the rubber, I would keep doing what youre doing... cant hurt.

JMH

Petroleum jelly normally does not react with any seal in any way as bruce stated. It is normally used on the inside refrigerator door on the hinge side to help the gasket slide over the metal and not bunch up and tear the gasket. An application will last forever and does not affect the gasket. Works on upright freezers also on the hinge side of the gasket.

I use petroleum jelly on gaskets between cool induction parts as well to keep them from sticking. This includes outboard motor intake parts. I also use them on carburetor gaskets for the same reason. I have taken carbs apart with the newer blue gaskets wiped with petroleum jelly dozens of times with no leaks, and without having to replace the gaskets. You can also use Chapstick on the gaskets if it is easier.

code:

For something like an airbox, it ought to at least hold the filter to the plastic a bit, and if air slips by, have an additional 'sticky' surface to catch particulates upon.

That's kinda the way I was thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back