New ASE Certification - G1 for Light Maint/Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ase.com/News-Events/Press-Rel...r-Certific.aspx
http://www.ase.com/tests/ase-certification-tests/test-series.aspx
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/There-is-...=%2Egmp_1882649

Quote:
“Since about 70% of all work being performed in repair shops across the nation is maintenance-based, this new test category will focus on the knowledge necessary to successfully perform the most common maintenance and light repair tasks,” said Tim Zilke, ASE President & CEO. “If you are a technician performing maintenance and light repair services, the new ASE Maintenance and Light Repair (G1) certification is for you.”

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds like another way for ASE to make money "certifying" people. Just think..all the Jiffy Lube kids with "ASE CERTIFICATIONS" lol

I didn't know ASE certifications were really relevant anymore. I know they were huge in the 90s, but thought they had faded into the dustbin of history.

All an ASE certification means is that you can pass a multiple choice test and hold a job for 2 years. You don't even actually have to have the job, you just get someone to sign a paper saying you worked. I passed one of my ASEs by just filling in random bubbles on the answer form.

Until there is actually a skills portion of the test, it will just mean you can fill in a bubble on a multiple choice answer form.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Sounds like another way for ASE to make money "certifying" people. Just think..all the Jiffy Lube kids with "ASE CERTIFICATIONS" lol

You say that like it's a bad thing. If they have a oil change certification I would be more likely to take my car there. I would think ASE training would reduce the chance of error. Why would you not want industry-standard training?

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

You say that like it's a bad thing. If they have a oil change certification I would be more likely to take my car there. I would think ASE training would reduce the chance of error. Why would you not want industry-standard training?

Except ASE has no training. Look into it, literally all you do to get ASE certified is pass a multiple choice test and have a form filled out by someone saying you had a job for 2 years.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I didn't know ASE certifications were really relevant anymore. I know they were huge in the 90s, but thought they had faded into the dustbin of history.
This. I dropped my ASE's when employers stopped paying me more to have them.

Why should I spend the $$$ and time if I don't get a raise out of it?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: dishdude
This. I dropped my ASE's when employers stopped paying me more to have them.

Why should I spend the $$$ and time if I don't get a raise out of it?

x2, I dropped mine also. The incentive to keep them updated was gone.

A lot of the study materials and test questions are geared towards outdated technology. As stated already, the intent was good back in it's day but I think it's time has come and gone. One of my companies sub-contractors is still required to have ASE-certified technicians but I don't see them performing any stronger nor troubleshooting any more thoroughly than non ASE-certified techs. Passing the ASE certification tests prove you can read study materials and memorize enough stuff to pass a test.

The manufacturer certifications for technicians at least have hands on portions that you have to perform in a training center. For example in one of Ford's electrical classes you are given a literal wire harness in a box with a diagram and are told to find the open. You also are given components and are told to build a circuit, the instructions are purposefully wrong and then they make you find the problem and fix it. BTW this is in their "intro to electrical theory" class that is 5 days long and you must pass before you can do any other training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back