Anyone here own a Rat Terrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, due to the passing of my German Shepard-Greyhound mix back in March I've started to look for another dog. I found a 1.5 year old Rat Terrier at the local ARL that I;m considering going to see today. Does anyone have experience with them and can tell me more about them? Thanks!

I had a little toy female Rat Terrier and she was the SWEETEST dog I`ve ever owned. They`re wonderful and loyal,and I`m considering getting another one.

We've had two. Loyal, protective, attentive, intelligent, playful, pack dog/lap dog. They enjoy walkies and exercise. Good with children.

Since they're a cross of many, they will not all be the same size or combination of parts/colors. Each has a personality all it's own, though the two I've had have been larger than their actual bodies.

Our first one had seizures and had to be put down at 6 years. Not common, but not an unknown item.

I have a 13 year old male and he's been a really good dog. All the triats mentioned above. Great with the kids nips but never bites them no matter what they do to him.

I doubt you find an owner who doesn't love their rat terrier, like many dog types. They are super smart dogs who only want to please their owners. If you are active, they will be active. If you like to sit and watch TV, they will want to sit and watch TV.

I personally like their smaller size because it is easy to take them on a road trip.

The only thing I don't like about my parents' rat terrier is the fur. It is short yet sheds like crazy and gets on everything. It seems to weave into every fabric, too, which makes it hard to get off.

They're energetic dogs -- do you have the time and energy to play with them and walk them often? If you have another dog, that will help "wear them out". Rat Terriers won't do well if you're never home or are always too tired to spend time with them.

Also, agree on the hair thing. They have short hair that seems to get stuck into everything. Every time my mom gets her car detailed, the guys [censored] and moan about how long it takes to get the hair out of the upholstery.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hi all, due to the passing of my German Shepard-Greyhound mix back in March I've started to look for another dog. I found a 1.5 year old Rat Terrier at the local ARL that I;m considering going to see today. Does anyone have experience with them and can tell me more about them? Thanks!

Stay with a big dog. Not a dust mop.

Originally Posted By: Donald

There is nothing about a Rat Terrier that makes it a "dust mop."

Originally Posted By: badtlc

They look to be small and annoying. Stick to a big dog.

They are not "small and annoying". Small dogs that bark at everything are just poorly trained -- or, even worse, the owner encourages the behavior.

Rat Terrier were one of the finalists for me. I chose the Schnauzer because it does not shed. The breed I wanted most and could not find within 350 miles of house was a Welsh Terrier. That will be my next dog.... hopefully not for another 10 years or-so.

Last edited:
Don't own one but here's a funny story.

My wife loves Italian Greyhounds. We have one that's on the small side, only about 6 3/4 pounds.

557108_476011359093023_1367632162_n.jpg

So one day we're at the dog park and our dog is sitting next to us and a mastiff wanders over. (Not this very mastiff, but photo included for visual image)

164426_573921972635294_1553549271_n.jpg

Now my wife was VERY defensive about her dog. Used to get all huffy when people confused it for a Chihuahua.

This 20-something year old couple comes over and the woman points at the two dogs sitting at my feet and says "That dog is sooooo cute! Is it a rat terrier?"

To which my wife answers: "Which dog are you referring to?"

I assume you're considering adopting Oreo? If so he's like most rat terriers-very smart and a bundle of energy. They need a lot of stimulation-both mental and physical. He'll make a fantastic dog.

Rat terriers are actually quite intelligent. Just like a big dog, if a small dog is well trained they are certainly not annoying.

I've seen my share of poorly trained "big dogs" and they can also be annoying.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I assume you're considering adopting Oreo? If so he's like most rat terriers-very smart and a bundle of energy. They need a lot of stimulation-both mental and physical. He'll make a fantastic dog.

You picked it! Met him today; he was a real nice little guy but the people who saw him ahead of me got him first. Kinda disappointing but not much I could do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back