Nissan VQ35 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
German Castrol 0-30 seems to be the best. It is a thick 30. See G35 Driver website for a study done on various oils in the VQ engine.

My Pathfinder has seen mostly dino oil for its life and I've never noticed a difference between oils really. I've run M1 HM 10W-40 and M1 0W-40 but never noticed anything out of the ordinary. I've never done a UOA but I have gone through 2 rear main seals - one at 1,120 miles or so (covered under warranty of course - yeah, maybe my parents leased a lemon) then that one started leaking around 100-110k miles and was replaced around 120k miles. The upper oil pan gasket was also in need of replacement and was replaced. Not sure if any of that has anything to do with oil choice, though. I've got a large amount of MaxLife NG 5W-30 I got on clearance or very cheap with rebates so I'll just run that for 5k intervals until I'm out of it.

The mention about the VQ37HR being very hard on oil makes me wonder if MS5K is doing ok in my mother's G37 at 3,750 mile intervals.

My 04 3.5 burned everything it came into contact with. PU, M1, M1hm, PYB, QSGB, and RT6. It truly didn't matter what I used so I pretty much just stuck with PYB until I traded it in. My newer 2010 3.5 burns nothing!

Originally Posted By: bandz7
My 04 3.5 burned everything it came into contact with. PU, M1, M1hm, PYB, QSGB, and RT6. It truly didn't matter what I used so I pretty much just stuck with PYB until I traded it in. My newer 2010 3.5 burns nothing!

Which VQ35 was it, the DE or HR? As I said above, some of the HRs were known to drink a lot of oil. Nissan was replacing those engines under warranty.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Which VQ35 was it, the DE or HR? As I said above, some of the HRs were known to drink a lot of oil. Nissan was replacing those engines under warranty.

The early year VQ35DE were known for burning oil, some more than others. It had something to do with bad valve seals or stuck rings. As long as the oil was topped off religiously, the engines ran fine.

You positive about that? The HR was the motor used in the 350Z and the G35 coupe (and 6MT sedans later on). I remember researching this when I was shopping for one years ago -- a fair number of used G sedans I looked at were already on their second motors.

You are correct though: the motors will run just fine as long as you're mindful of the oil level. The consumption was not harmful.

Either way, the VQ35 doesn't seem to be picky. The VQ37VHR is.

Had a few 35's, no 37's yet. Definitely read about the issues, they are a bit far from perfection. But they seem to hold up well even under a hard boot.

Looking at a used car with under a 100k miles with a "brand new engine" pretty much means I ain't buying...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Looking at a used car with under a 100k miles with a "brand new engine" pretty much means I ain't buying...

If there was a used G35 or 350Z that got the new motor due to the known oil consumption problem (which was a manufacturing issue), then I'd have no hesitation to buy it.

When it's a car that is NOT known for that problem, like say, a WRX STI, then it likely means the previous owner beat the [censored] out of it.

My 04 was a murano. So it was a DE. And yes it was probably the piston rings. I just checked the oil every week and topped off as needed.

Mobil1 0w40 has been doing well. Still add 1/2 a qt every 3k (needs a full qt), change 7500. Seems like keeping at full line burns quicker than filling halfway up the hash marks. Even when I let it go longer, still some on the tip of the stick.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

If there was a used G35 or 350Z that got the new motor due to the known oil consumption problem (which was a manufacturing issue), then I'd have no hesitation to buy it.

When it's a car that is NOT known for that problem, like say, a WRX STI, then it likely means the previous owner beat the [censored] out of it.

Yeah, I remember shopping for a Porsche many years ago. I had never seen so many low mileage vehicles with new engines. I don't trust most stealerships to do the work correctly, so any major work and I'll likely still look elsewhere. It would have to be carefully evaluated on an individual basis...

2004 Quest with 140k+ miles. I use conventional 5W-30 and change the oil every 5000 miles. This era VQ35 has issues with burning oil and leaking oil which if unchecked lead to timing chain issues. I figured there no reason to spend the extra money on synthetic for 5000 OCI.

He had a DE for sure, the VQ35HR showed up in 06 for MY 07

This is totally incorrect... Don't mean to sound so bossy but the VQ35HR's do not drink any oil... Never has mine nor any friend or forum contact had theirs loose any oil let alone drink oil...
The 2006 VQ35 Rev-Up motor does "drink" oil due to how the cams are set up.
The older VQ35DE now that they are getting up to 100k mile range are starting to have oil consumption issues...
But every time I change my oil the level is right where I put it at my last change...
My last engine did have an issue, something happened and when I tore her down found out the oil wasn't getting to the intake cam on the drivers side for some reason and it got so hot it ended up welding itself to the cam journals...
I always ran Castrol Edge Titanium fully synthetic BC that's what the previous/first owner said he always ran... I have since bought a new to me engine that is also an 07 and only had 48k miles and came out of an auto and I have no clue what was ran it in and I just switched to PP and am probably gonna try out PU soon... But I'm going to stick with Penzoil BC dad has over a dozen company vehicles and has always ran Penzoil and never had engine troubles and some of the trucks are 15-20yrs old and they pull construction equipment so that testament alone is enough for me to trust in Penzoil... Also what I'm seeing on this forum also has been reinforcing that thought process.

Last edited:
GC 0w30 is the best oil for VQ35DE. I recently purchased my 06 g35 sedan with 30k and put about 22k in the last 6 months. I used the GC 0w30 and have never had any issues or consumption. Now that I don't have the DIY option I've been getting Castrol GTX 5w30 from a shop and notice no difference in mpg, sound or consumption.

I forget the site that I found the graph with an in depth comparison and test for the same engine in a 350z but these are what I remember were top performers: 1. GC 0-30, 2. PP 0w-40, 3. M1 0w-40, 4. Castrol GTX 5w-30 and 5. PYB 5w-30.

The G35 and 350z forum have done TONS of research to find the best oil and any of the above will work fine.

I switched my I35 to synthetic at 80K miles and am using PU. I have the first gen of the VQ35 which is known to have the noisy timing chain and higher oil consumption. My car *knock on wood* hasn't consumed any oil in the 13K miles or so I've had it. The engine is really quiet with the PU, especially during cold start ups. I can't wait to try out different synthetics in the future
20.gif

I ran PP after my new engine and this last time I upped it to PU and she's been running like a champ! Excited to find and try the new PUPP ! Oil change coming soon gonna do a Blackstone on this PU as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back