2011 Jeep Wrangler maintenance tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the wife a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. has 24K miles. Don't know the history, but from the looks, and the way it drives, it could pass for brand new. Anyways, I know it takes 5W-20 in the 3.8 engine. Any other tips, or advice you guys have for it? Thanks

First thing is check for water leaks, passenger and driver side front. At 24,000 miles there isn't much to do in the way of maintenance depending on when the last oil change was done. Transmission, transfer case and differential should be fine, maybe the air filter could get looked at.

I had an 08 Wrangler. They are addictive. I recommend running a good cleaning oil for an oil change or two. This will clean up whatever maintenance the previous owner did or did not do. I would recommend Pennzoil Ultra. Second I would change out the fluid in the pumpkin. I went with Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. Congratulations on your purchase have fun.

Yes, the 3.8 is a known oil burner so make sure to check it regularly. Other than that, it's a solid engine. Ours is doing well on QSUD 5W-20.

Here's a tip if you have the hard top. A cheap boat trailer winch, some rope, and a couple pulleys makes removing and reinstalling it a piece of cake. We've had the top off of ours a few times this spring, and just took the doors off for the first time the other day.

20130501_211157_zpsc696ddec.jpg

20130501_210744_zps9e302cf4.jpg

i like the 3.8. the one in our van is solid. it also consumes very little oil.

My 3.8 is from 2003. it calls for 5-30. I run it on 10-30 and it typically starts cold at 65psi and cruises hot just under 30. If you aren't under warranty, I might go up a grade from the 5-20.

If you are under warranty, make sure the oil you use meets the chryco MS-6395 spec.. The bottle should say on the back. Not all of them do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back