Ammo Shortage affecting Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"Basically the American community is consuming the ammunition and the ammunition manufacturers can't keep up."

That's not true, the Department of Homeland Security is buying up all the
ammunition in an attempt to keep it out of the hands of the U.S. citizens.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quote:
"Basically the American community is consuming the ammunition and the ammunition manufacturers can't keep up."

We've been over this. The Government is not buying all of the ammo. It's the public. The NRA even has an article about it on their website.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quote:

We've been over this. The Government is not buying all of the ammo. It's the public. The NRA even has an article about it on their website.
I don't blame folks for stocking up.

I slowed down but havent stopped. No way. I was panic buying up to 6 boxes at a time; and then I got to about two boxes a week, now I maybe do a box a week, if that. But I keep a steady supply for target practice and HD.

Originally Posted By: Darren270

Thats not true either. The VP of Sales at Sierra Bullets addressed this very thing here:

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/...-for-customers/

Quote:
DHS officials have repeatedly denied stockpiling ammunition, but AP reports claim that the agency plans to buy more than 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition over the next four or five years, and has already bought 360,000 rounds of hollow point bullets and 1.5 billion rounds in 2012.

LINK

Merkava_4,
If the Government is buying up all of the ammo and is responsible for the shortage, can you explain why ammo was available before 12-14-12? Were they not buying previous to that date? Ammo around here was plentiful and inexpensive before that. It's been hard to find, and expensive since. I wonder why that is? Oddly enough, magazines have been scarce since then too. Did they sign a contract for 1 billion magazines also?

Also, the NRA has debunked all of the "The DHS is hoarding ammo" conspiracies.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
But I keep a steady supply for target practice and HD.

You have that many intruders that you need a steady supply?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: whip
Merkava_4,
If the Government is buying up all of the ammo and is responsible for the shortage, can you explain why ammo was available before 12-14-12? Were they not buying previous to that date? Ammo around here was plentiful and inexpensive before that. It's been hard to find, and expensive since. I wonder why that is? Oddly enough, magazines have been scarce since then too. Did they sign a contract for 1 billion magazines also?

Also, the NRA has debunked all of the "The DHS is hoarding ammo" conspiracies.

For those who don't know:

http://www.nraila.org/254512

"Other rumors concern acquisitions of ammunition by the Department of Homeland Security and a number of smaller agencies. Much of this concern stems from a misunderstanding of the size of the U.S. ammunition market. While the amount of ammunition some agencies have sought to buy seems impressive at a glance, it's far less so when spread out over a multi-year contract and over the tens of thousands of armed federal agents who engage in regular firearm training and qualification. And even if federal agencies bought all of the ammunition for which they've recently solicited proposals, it would still amount to only about three percent of total domestic ammunition production."

And the first one:
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/federal-law-enforcement-agencies-buy-ammunition.aspx

If you take the number of agencies that will be using this ammunition – CBP, Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), ICE, the U.S. Secret Service, Transportation Security Administration, the DHS police force, and all the guards that protect the various buildings these agencies are housed in, and spread that out over 5 years, you start to see that 450 million rounds really isn't that large of an order. Especially considering it is used for training purposes like firing range and live fire exercises, on-the-job use (though that is very limited), and to shore up their supplies. In fact, there are 65,000 – 70,000 law enforcement personnel at DHS who would be covered under this … ammunition contract. If DHS were to purchase all 450 million rounds over 5 years, then that would equate to only about 1,384 rounds of ammo per year per law enforcement [officer] … assuming the lower estimate of only 65,000 law enforcement personnel at DHS. Considering those agents go through training exercises several times per year, that is not a lot of ammunition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
But I keep a steady supply for target practice and HD.

You have that many intruders that you need a steady supply?
lol.gif

Just call it "training", and 8,000 rounds per year sounds reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back