Cleaned intake, Higher Idle now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the intake pipe off my 3.0 toyota 4runner yesterday b/c I was doing a 3/4 ton GM master cylinder upgrade. I opened the throttle blade and noticed it was pretty nasty in there. So I sprayed some Carb cleaner and PB'Laster in there and wiped what I could with a rag from the throttle body. I let it sit for a few hours and then started it. Ofcourse it smoked... just like with Sea-foam. After about 10 minutes the smoke subsided and i drove it to the store and back. Notice that now the Idle is at 1,100rpm vs the 850ish it was. Any idea why the idle would be that much higher now?

More air coming in that that the computer is not calibrated for. Unplug the battery, wait for about 15 minutes, then reconnect. That will make the computer re-calibrate itself.

Make sure everything is pluged in the intake(pcv hose). An intake leak will cause a higher idle. If everthing is ok may just be the engine recalibrating itself and should drop with time

well actually on this engine, the idle is not controlled by the computer. It's got a thermal idle control valve. as the engine reaches operating temp the valve closes lowering the idle. So to adjust the idle I'll have to close the throttle blade a tad, make sure the TPS is still within spec. But I will try resetting the ecm first.

If everything is hooked up properly you can adjust your idle with idle screw. Wait until the motor is at operating temperature of course. I then mark the screw, once set properly, with a dab of red nail polish. This keeps the location as a mark and also prevents the screw from turning.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 27800
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 105400
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

It sounds like you created an intake leak to me with the solvent. Hopefully you didn't also wash a bunch of grit stuck in that intake oil coating down into the cylinder bores. Always run your finger through the oily mess and check for grit before you attempt to wash it downstream.

If the paper air filter gets clogged, the engine will suck it inward and unload all the garbage on the other side into the intake system. The oily intake will catch some of it. Leave it stuck in the oil film until you take the intake manifold off regardless of however many years in the future that might be.

i'll check for a vacuum leak. I'm leaning toward the idle motor passage was clogged up good. so last year when I set the idle and all.... it was'n't clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back