Spent some time with the 210 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally had some spare time to rewire the 210 this afternoon and it looks like all the odd ball electrical issues are fixed.

I purchased this tractor new in 1975-210 serial numbers started with 30001 and this is 30647. It was one of the first in Iowa and the very first to be delivered to the Deere dealer with whom I've done business with since. I was there waiting for it, and when it was unloaded from the truck it was uncrated, assembled and I took it home about 2 hours after it arrived at the dealer. I also have a mower deck that's not currently on it, a front dozer blade, and I had a snow blower that I've since sold.

It was parked in 1991 when I decided I needed a larger mower. I normally don't keep things that I'm not using, but for some reason I just didn't want to get rid of it. I put it in the corner of a shed, and when we built our home in 1995 I left it sit in a corner of my shop. I hadn't started it since I parked it in 1991.

I thought about selling it several times, but it wasn't taking up any needed space, and I just let it sit, covered by a furniture pad.

In late August of 2010 I decided to dig it out and see if I could get it to run. I wanted a garden type tractor to do the small things that my zero turn wasn't suited for, and the old 210 would fit the need quite nicely. I replaced the carb (the original was beyond repair), the starter, belts, and I freed up the variator (it was pretty well gummed up). I also cobbled together some wiring fixes with the idea that if I kept it I'd rewire it soon. I also changed the fluids and what little fuel was left-the gas had been sitting for almost 20 years.

To my surprise, after I primed the new carb and tested to make sure I had electrical continuity all the way through, it fired right up (I posted a video of the first start back somewhere around September of 2010).

I've been chasing some electrical gremlins, which isn't surprising with 38 year old wiring, components, switches, etc. Today I completely rewired it with all new electrical components, and all the electrical issues are gone. The motor has just a touch of smoke at startup, but still has good power and doesn't smoke after it starts. The 210's never had an hour meter, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one had close to 2000 hours on it; not only did it mow a couple acres a week for it's first 17 years, it also kept the driveway cleared of snow in the winter. It never failed to start, never gave me any problems, and only required occasional tune ups and basic maintenance.

And it's sort of fun to putter around on a garden tractor that's nearly 40 years old, especially since it's all original and never been owned by anyone else.

It looks great for being nearly 40! And a good story too, since most people dump something at the first sign of an issue...

Are there any more plans for it?

Read the title and I thought you meant this kind of 210

datsun-b210-11.jpg

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

datsun-b210-11.jpg

crackmeup2.gif

Can't mow a lawn with that though....
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
It looks great for being nearly 40! And a good story too, since most people dump something at the first sign of an issue...

Are there any more plans for it?

Not really, other than just keeping it running and using it on occasion. I sometimes think about doing a complete restoration on it, but I don't have time, and I sort of like it in it's original condition. If something major happens (like the engine has a major issue) I may revisit the complete restoration idea. But for now I'll just keep it running and use it as needed.

As odd as it may sound, it's been around so long it's like a family member, so I doubt that I'll ever sell it unless we someday decide to move off our acreage and into a smaller place in town.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

datsun-b210-11.jpg

crackmeup2.gif

I thought the very same thing

Fantastic looking little tractor by the way - hard to believe by the way it looks that it's 40 years old. Well done.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Are those the original tires as well? If so, how did you make them last so long?

Yes, those are the original tires. I haven't done anything special, but it has always been parked indoors. The tread on the front tires has worn, but the rear tires are still in pretty good shape.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Are those the original tires as well? If so, how did you make them last so long?

Yes, those are the original tires. I haven't done anything special, but it has always been parked indoors. The tread on the front tires has worn, but the rear tires are still in pretty good shape.

Wow the tractor must not have gotten much use. We have about half that tread on our 86 Ariens rider at our mountain house. Are they Carlisle tires?

Ours are original and hold air well. Always kept in a shed.

What is the engine on yours? Nice looking machine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Wow the tractor must not have gotten much use. We have about half that tread on our 86 Ariens rider at our mountain house. Are they Carlisle tires?

Ours are original and hold air well. Always kept in a shed.

What is the engine on yours? Nice looking machine.

I estimated the number of hours on it at somewhere around 2000, just figuring the amount of time I spent mowing per week with it, 6 months out of the year for the number of years I actually used it. I also factored in an additional 25% or so for winter snow blowing as well as other chores around the property where we lived at that time. I'm not sure of the brand-possibly Goodyear-but I'd have to go out and look to be positive. In the 19 years it was stored none of the tires went flat (I had it off the ground a few inches). When I first started toying with it in 2010 I only had to add a little air to each tire, and I haven't added any since.

It has a 10 HP Kohler K241QS engine and a Peerless 2300 4 speed transaxle. It makes a couple puffs of smoke when it first starts, but doesn't smoke beyond that point.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Very nice tractor Pop! I've had a bunch of 110's and all of the 200 series. Even today as old as they are, they are a much better value than anything new at the big box store. Are you an active member of www.weekendfreedommachines.com ?

I've seen the site and went through some of the postings, but never registered. It is a pretty good site for Deere lawn and garden tractors, and some of those folks there really know their stuff.

had a 210 just like that. Washed it one day and took it for ride around the yard to dry it off in 4th gear. The con-rod snapped like and twig and chunked the cylinder sleeve...that was all she wrote. Those Kohler K engines cost two arms and two legs, and parts aren't cheap either. Would've needed to be sleeved at the least. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
had a 210 just like that. Washed it one day and took it for ride around the yard to dry it off in 4th gear. The con-rod snapped like and twig and chunked the cylinder sleeve...that was all she wrote. Those Kohler K engines cost two arms and two legs, and parts aren't cheap either. Would've needed to be sleeved at the least. Oh well.

Isnt there another engine design that might fit in the same footprint if you wanted to replace? Perhaps one that isnt as pricey?

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Nope, they use a horizontal shaft weird setup in those.

There are a few guys that have re-powered, but it is quite difficult to do. Probably not cheap either.

The Kohler K series is a very durable engine and will run 2000+ hours with proper care.
You can buy a complete rebuild kit (aftermarket) for around $200 that includes a piston, rings , connecting rod, and a gasket set.
Add a $2-300 more for machine work and you will have an engine that will last another 20+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back