Brake Hose Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for replacement front brake hoses (flexible rubber type) for a mid 90's Toyota. Here are my options:

$50 each from Toyota (no way)
$25 each Raybestos Profession Grade
$10 each Centric

Am I gaining significant quality by making the jump from Centric to Raybestos PG? I'd rather not skimp on brake lines but I'm sure they are manufactured to rather exacting standards, and Centric seems to be reputable. Any thoughts?

Why not go with a braided stainless set? Thats would be a real performance improvement.
I put them on everything i own, they really makes a huge difference to pedal feel.
Once you've driven a car with them you wont go back to rubber, they all feel spongy in comparison.

Edit. Raybestos Pro from that list.

Last edited:
Can you look at them first?
I bought Raybestos last time and I liked them.

If I had to guess, it's made in China for the Raybestos and Centric and Thailand for the Toyota one. Either way, the car is probably a beater and perhaps you should just try the Centric ones.

Not really a beater. It's in nice shape and will probably get years of use.

AutohausAZ also carries CEF brand, made in Italy apparently, for about $15 per side.

Got the raybestos pros. Complete with made in China stickers.

It is exceedingly rare that I see a non Chinese made brake hose anymore. On rare occasions, I'll see one from Italy, but I'm sure it's old stock because the box is dusty/dirty.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
What's your favorite source for SS lines?

StopTech, Russel, Goodridge. Just be sure to get the ones with the cover over the braided jacket. Uncovered ones can be a problem if they are driven in road salt or sand.
Most today are covered.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
It is exceedingly rare that I see a non Chinese made brake hose anymore. On rare occasions, I'll see one from Italy, but I'm sure it's old stock because the box is dusty/dirty.

Doesn't rubber degrade by itself over time?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
A few years ago I got one that was nice and new for a Benz.
The hose was made in Italy, and the company called itself "URO Parts"

That was the only time I ever saw an aftermarket rubber brake hose from somewhere other than China. It didn't seem to matter who made the made the hose, or what car the hose was made for, it came from China.

I didn't know you could get them for non-European cars. I am glad I found that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back