Need Opinions On Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let me say 1st that I know miracle in a can products seldom work or work like/as well as advertised. I also know the best course of action is to ID the problem and actually fix it. Ok, now that we have that out of the way...
grin.gif

My Sister has a 2005 Chevy Impala w/ the 3.4L( 130K )that is consuming oil and also appears to be leaking some( not on ground but you smell it burning after driving it ). It isn't super bad but I would like to try and see if one of these mircale in a can formulas will help( not fix = help ).

I have her using MaxLife in it now and that helped some with the consumption but the leak started after using it so I think it ate away some crud that was blocking a leak. Before it gets worse I would like to see if a pour in product might help slow the progression.

This is a car she helped her daughter buy who then decided she didn't want it anymore after running the miles through the roof and just dumped it on my Sister, refusing to pay any longer
mad.gif
. My neice abused the snot out of it and really neglected it. I got it cleaned up and did the work it needed so it has been dependable for my Sister over these last 2 years but I want to get ahead of this oil issue if I can cheap and easy.

When my no good rotten neice did this it forced my Sister to sell her low miles, immaculate, 06 Impala as she couldn't afford both. She needs to keep this car for approx another year as she is disabled and on a very limited income. It has to last a year before she can afford a new car and preferably without her having to do any major work. I really don't want to get into the expense of replaing gaskets if it can be avoided.

What product would you all suggest to see if they will help with this? Lucas, M0S2, STP, etc...

Thanks.

Lubro-moly,same company that makes mos2 makes a product called motor oil saver.
From what I've gleaned from exchanging emails with the manufacturer it's got some form of esters and seal conditioners that stop oil leaks if its a gasket issue. I've used it before and it worked for me,although it was around 600 miles before I noticed the drips no longer present in the cardboard I put under the motor.
It's inexpensive and worst case scenario is you introduce some ester content which may help in some way as far as prevention and deposit control.

+1
It might be an easy fix, although it probably isn't.
I'd be inclined to leave it alone.
If all she needs is another year out of it, then just add oil as needed.
I'd be really reluctant to add anything to the oil.
The car now runs and needs oil adds.
You don't want to create a situation where the good news is that the engine no longer needs adds, but the bad news is that it no longer runs at all.

"that is consuming oil and also appears to be leaking some( not on ground but you smell it burning after driving it )."

Use Kreen for 1000 miles to clean out the sludge and carbon from lack of oil change abuse.

After that try Maxlife again and see what you get. ATP 205 reseal supposedly works good, but I never have used it.

Good luck.

How much oil are you adding?

If it isn't leaking onto the ground then its not leaking very much.

Nothing is going to stop a valve cover or oil pan gasket leak, open the hood and see where the leak is coming from.

If it started after you changed the oil check the filter and drain plug.

Hmmn, On the Rat, the D35 front axle weeps at the cover gasket. Easy job on a D44, not so easy on a D 35. Where can I obtain this magical elixir? I have already vowed just to keep it topped off It is an open diff, so unless the stuff is abrasive, it shouldn't harm anything major. The on -line prices are less than a gallon of Coastal 80 w 90
laugh.gif

I had decent luck with cd2 stop leak, and I would also look into changing the PCV. 90% of the time it is crank case pressure that opens the leak. If yours is clogged, getting a new one might lesson the leak too.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond

Nothing is going to stop a valve cover or oil pan gasket leak, open the hood and see where the leak is coming from.

I not only disagree but have see just the opposite on more than one occasion using motor oil saver.
We have a chev work van. Its got a 305. It had a VC gasket leak which would end up on the exhaust manifold and you could smell oil burning. I added motor oil saver to the existing oil and by the end of the second tank of fuel the oil burning smell was gone and it no longer looked wet around the VC.
So although I will agree that no additive will fix an actually damaged gasket but some products will help a dried out or shrunk gasket.
And again for what motor oil saver costs for me its a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: JamesBond

I not only disagree but have see just the opposite on more than one occasion using motor oil saver.
We have a chev work van. Its got a 305. It had a VC gasket leak which would end up on the exhaust manifold and you could smell oil burning. I added motor oil saver to the existing oil and by the end of the second tank of fuel the oil burning smell was gone and it no longer looked wet around the VC.
So although I will agree that no additive will fix an actually damaged gasket but some products will help a dried out or shrunk gasket.
And again for what motor oil saver costs for me its a no brainer.

Motor oil saver Seems to be helping on my BMW. Took about a 1,000 miles or so.

Where are you guys getting the M0S2 or Engine Saver from LubroMoly?

Check Amazon.com and search for "Lubro-Moly" (part #LM2009) or "Lubro-Moly Motor Oil Saver" (part #2020).

No experience with Motor Oil Saver, but the M0S2 and Cera-Tec perform as advertised.

I've heard many times that Golden Eagle stop-leak products are some of the best in the business.

Should be easy to get as well...

I have fixed 2 bad oil leaks on 2 different engines recently by replacing the faulty leaking oil pressure sensor for under $25 each. Don't be like me and put on the diagnostic blinders and miss the obvious simple solutions.

Good luck.

UPDATE:

Just got around to having the oil changed in my Sister's car yesterday. I ordered the Motor Oil Saver and added it to the oil after the OC. I am curious to see if it will eliminate or reduce the oil burning smell? Have to get some miles on so it has time to work...

EDIT - FWIW I am running Kendall HM in her car this go round. Had been running Maxlife.

Last edited:
Have had good results with ATP AT-205 Re-Seal Stops Leaks and Lubro Moly Motor Oil Saver.

UPDATE:

Ok, it has been a couple days now and about 200 miles. The burning oil smell is not gone but it is drastically reduced. Either it is still leaking a little or it is still burning off what had leaked previously. The smell is definitely a lot less severe though. It has made some difference at least. Hopefully when it gets up near the 500 miles the mfg says it takes to work completely it will stop the leak altogether.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
UPDATE:

Ok, it has been a couple days now and about 200 miles. The burning oil smell is not gone but it is drastically reduced. Either it is still leaking a little or it is still burning off what had leaked previously. The smell is definitely a lot less severe though. It has made some difference at least. Hopefully when it gets up near the 500 miles the mfg says it takes to work completely it will stop the leak altogether.

Nice. I've never seen motor oil saver not work on a gasket that wasn't broken. So it should work for you unless the gasket is physically broken.
Thanks for posting. Please keep us informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back