Sulfuric Acid (battery acid) as a gas additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some leftover sulfuric acid from a motorcycle battery I just bought and was wondering if this would be a good additive to put in the gas tank? I found out that this is an additive currently in use in gas when formulating/refining.

Ummm, this chemicals reaction to many types of metals to form Hydrogen gas (explosive) as well as it's highly toxic and reactive nature makes this a bad idea. Not to mention if there was any water in the gas you would end up with a violent exothermic reaction.

the acid will eat either the needles out of your carburetor or the needles/pintles out of your fuel injectors. not to mention what it will do to yout piston rings.

this is one of the best I've heard
lol.gif

mix a little sand in there too! the grit will help to clean that tough carbon out!
lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ocrstar:
"It is used in petroleum refining to wash impurities out of gasoline and other refinery products."

It is used in the PROCESS, not added to the final product. Go ahead and add some drill mud to your tank as that is used in the process of getting petoleum out og the ground.

Dude, that's just plain stupid. So much to take into consideration.....off gassing, chemical reactions, corrosivity factors, line plumbing.

I say go for it! We just don't have enough natural selection anymore. I also recommend tom slick's sand and Larry the Cable Guy's drill mud. I think that both of these fine additives are used in "the process."

or some tar, its also a petroleum derivative. its a by product of the refining process.

ocrstar: I hope you're not thinking about going into chemistry.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

But then again, I think at least a B.S in chemistry would be good for you.
cool.gif

BTW, look up "exothermic" reaction before doing anything with the battery acid.
freak2.gif

Gee, we need an "explosion" Graemlin!

LOL Ocrstar!

You gotta be joking if you seriously consider adding sulphuric acid into your gas tank? You wanna seriously do damage to your piston/grooves/rings, combustion chambers, or valve seats?

Remember: the byproduct of combustion process of hydrocarbon may already introduce certain amount of acid mixed with the main byproduct of HC which is H2O and that makes the acid in exhaust (which also attributes to the accelerated wear/corrosion of your exhaust pipings). Motor oil contains a certain amount of acid neutralisers to neutralise the acids introduced during the combustion process and now you attempt to intentionally introduce battery acid??????

You gotta be joking right?

(heads turning)

Acid in refining process is one thing and the end-product is another thing. You do not mix/confuse 2 process/things together....

Just to get this out of the way for the "natural selection" hopefuls-I am not going to put battery acid in any fuel tank. I'll leave that to the next snake oil startup company. Second, the word "process" in gas refining was not used in any of my sources. They just stated that sulfuric acid was used in refining gas (not specific as to the process or the final product). Third, adding this to my tank without research/asking questions would be stupid. I wouldn't criticize a person for asking a question though. Actually a dumb person doesn't ask questions or think outside the box; however, in this case, we'll stay in the box.

We salute your willingness to think outside the box, and your willingness to listen to advice. Too many people ask about something they've already decided on and are just looking for gasps of amazement and confirmation of how brilliant they are.
wink.gif

(Well, you *did* get gasps of amazement...
grin.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back