Secretariat "moving like a tremendous machine!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Secretariat at Claiborne Farms about a year before he died.
He galloped down to the fence and pretended to want to bite (according to his handler, he was quite the jokester).
He was still majestic even at 18 years old.
'Big Red' was the GREATEST race horse that ever lived.
I'm very proud of the picture of him that I have on my mantel from that meeting in 1988.

I was 10 at the time but I remember it vividly and fondly. I was speechless to see such a superior athlete in his prime. Big Red was without a doubt the greatest ever. And yes it brings a tear to my eye everytime I watch this video.

Reactions: pbm
Originally Posted By: pbm
Here's the 1973 Preakness....look at his acceleration (approx. the 45 sec. mark of the video).....the GREATEST....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV89InWOENc

Cool! At :50 he slows as if to say hello. Then as he rounds the corner he appears to be looking back at the other horses for a while until the end where he takes off. The way he lowers his head, the stride. An extra gear no other horse has.

I remember reading that when they performed an autopsy on him, his heart was huge....

I saw Secretariat at Claiborne Farms about a year before he died.
He galloped down to the fence and pretended to want to bite (according to his handler, he was quite the jokester).
He was still majestic even at 18 years old.
'Big Red' was the GREATEST race horse that ever lived.
I'm very proud of the picture of him that I have on my mantel from that meeting in 1988.

At the time I remember there was some question as to whether he could go the distance at Belmont. He apparently was an easygoing horse relatively speaking. The Jokester story I heard was a reporter was interviewing his trainer outside his stall and writing furiously on his reporter's notebook. Secretariat poked his head out of the stall and after not being noticed for a few seconds pulled the notebook out of the reporter's hand and threw it in the air with his mouth.

http://www.secretariat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Belmont_GloryLR1.jpg

Reading tonight the Kentucky Derby race was far more spectacular than it looks. The video shows Secretariat beating another horse named Sham by 2.5 lengths. But wait, the other horses are way back like the Belmont video. If not for Sham being close, would have been another spectacular looking win. So how fast was Sham going? Guess they don't count second place or something. According to modern timing, 2.5 lengths behind Secretariat makes Sham the second fastest Kentucky Derby time ever. So in one race Secretariat set the Kentucky Derby record coming from second to last place, and beat Sham running the second fastest Kentucky Derby time ever by 2.5 lengths! wow!

Now watch knowing how fast Sham was running!

Reactions: pbm
In the derby Secretariat ran each of the five quarters faster which is really unheard of, and let's not forget what a fine horse Sham was, who would quite likely have won the triple crown himself had he not been racing against the greatest of all time.

I remember reading that when they performed an autopsy on him, his heart was huge....

Nearly 3 times the size of a normal thoroughbred....22lbs.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back