LC in Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all of the friction parts of a trans such as the clutches and bands, is it still safe to use LC in the trans without causeing any slippage? LC promotes more lubricity, so i was wondering if this will cause problems with these parts and or the fluid and cause the trans to slip some. Has anyone used LC in their trans for an extended period of time without and effects?

Also same questions for a rear diff with Limited Slip? Can LC be used in a rear LS diff without affecting the function of the LS.

thanks for all the help. Want to make sure before I add any LC to my drivetrain that I am not going to regret later on.

I put 2 oz's in fresh fluid in my 98 Protege auto tranny with a 7 qt capacity after an ARX treatment and a second 5k ATF only exchange. I did so because the 5k fluid turned dark again pretty quickly. Car has 212k miles, no transmission work except one pan drop and filter change at 190k.
twak.gif
Current ATF with LC has about 750 miles, no ill effects so far. ATF is WalMart M/D lll. Plan to monitor and do another short mileage exchange if it darkens again. LC forum has a couple of posts on AT use.

I had no problems adding LC20 to my Integra's auto transmission. Didn't run it for an extended period of time, but it was in there for approximately 7 months before I sold the car. It really helped the cold shifting of the transmission. Before the LC20 the transmission would hesitate and then kick into gear. After adding the LC20 it didn't hesitate as long and the kick was less pronounced. This could be because the LC20 thinned the fluid, but at a treat rate of 5oz in a 12qt transmission, I don't think the change in viscosity was that pronounced. In any event, I liked how it performed, and I have had no problems with adding it to my S2000's MTF.

Now I have not added LC20 to my rear diff fluid. I run Specialty Formulations HDS-5, and the performance there has been up to par. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to have to add LC20 to the 1qt capacity pumpkin every 1000 or so miles.

By the by, I currently have Honda MTF in the tranny w/ LC20. I am waiting to switch to SF's MTL-P and with that I probably will not use LC20 in the transmission. Again, I think getting under the car and adding 1-2 ounces of fluid every 1000 miles is a bit time consuming.

Just to clarify, I added an initial dose of about 5oz to the ATF in the Integra and then maintanence doses of about 2-3 ounces every 1000 miles.

boxcartommie22 -
I agree; 1 oz per 10,000 miles is correct.

I persoanlly would not worry about "thinning" as other have stated. But it will clean etc.
smile.gif

Thanks for the replys!

Frank, can you explain why you don't put solvents in hydraulic oil? If this were the case, why is there an Auto-Rx product for transmissons also?

You do bring up an interesting point though. I have read where LC is not recommended for brake systems which consists of hydraulic fluid, but it is recommended for Transmissions and Power Steering systems which as Franks stated are made up of hydraulic fluid bases. Doesn't make sense. Why is it recommned for one, but not the other?

The more I read about these additives, the more I get confused! Sometimes i just want to scrap all these additives and just run the regular fluids themselves!

By the way, to add to the original question, are there an negative experiences that people have had by adding LC the transmissions.

thanks again

SR77 -

The way I see it:

Frank is for his product (AutoRX) and will promote it as such. It is not solvent based etc and that is what he pushes. Not being negative but that is the way I see it since I have been on this forum.

If you have questions on product use, email the maker/manufacture, LCD.

Some people push LCD and some push ARX. Some Amsoil, Redline etc. They all have there reasons (via $$$$, background, functionality, etc).

LC is solvent based. I also think the brake sys is for liability reasons but I do not know...guessing here.

For me, I could careless if solvent or not. Just give me something that works and does not cause more work for me. My time is $$$$.

Also LC20 can go into hydraulic sys at 1% by volume. I also do use LC in engine oil and just sent out a sample yesterday.I like LCD products due to price and no switching oils when using LC20 .

I personally do not run any adds in my ATF fluid. Just use Amsoil. Never had any tranny problems since driving.

[ April 13, 2006, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: mburnickas ]

You don't put solvents in hydraulic oil (this is the base oil used for transmission fluids) transmission fluid is thin enough why make it more so ? last but not least keep posting how it works out. Know those clutch packs are really responding to your treatment.

9296D21B14
Member # 5998 your lucky as Auto-Rx will nueutralize
your application. So no seal leaks or other costly problems.

I'm doing what I did a little over a year and 20,000 miles ago on the 46RE trans in my DODGE 1/2-ton: a few ounces of LC-20, a few hundred or a thousand miles; drain, adjust bands, service filter, add [4] quarts to refill; drive another thousand miles or so and add ARX per directions, and after miles accumulated, flush 12-quarts of SCHAEFFERS #204 All Trans Supreme.

Have seen other reports of this trans starting to slip up on the 2-3 shift; others have reported that a solenoid gums up.

This regimen pretty well cured WOT shifts of any hesitation or slip.

I do the same in the PSF.

SR77 Auto-Rx is a metal cleaner and seal rejuvenator as such it works with all oil viscosity's the only change being the ratio of Auto-Rx to each quart of oil depending on viscosity. Auto-Rx cleans all solvents contaminants off of metal and seals letting any viscosity oil lubricate fully.

I ask again why would you want to add a solvent on top of oil that can't clean through deposits etc now ? why would you want to attack seal matrial with solvents ?

Do you know when you change oil you never get out everything? thats why there is Auto-Rx it does get out all residue of harmful deposits. Thats why I guarantee it.

Visit www.auto-rx.net

Then lets not badmouth products by saying they swell seals when they have been tested to not swell/destroy seals of multiple material types(within a 15 month period at a ratio of 1:5 LC20 to oil. this was the test performed by Molakule).

I'll go ahead and chime in this: I've used Auto-RX to clean to cars. I've also used LC20 as a maintanence dose on both of them in the engine and transmission. I don't have "proof" that either did what they claim. I do believe that each was worth the cost/trouble associated with it.

When it comes to maintanence doses. For my application (7500mi OCIs) LC20 was cheaper. 3oz maintenance dose of Auto-RX (with a full bottle) would last 30000 miles. LC20 (will a full bottle) would last more than that. Since both are the same price (with the LC20 coupon)... well, lets not think too hard about that one
smile.gif

Who is talking about swelling seals ? I am saying dedigrating the actual seal material.

Auto-Rx maintenace dose is good for what ever mileage you change your oil in fact you could skip 1 oil change and not lose any oil quality or perfrormance using Auto-Rx maintenace plan.

That would be any oil.

we are ot talkig about seal swelling. We ARE talking about seal integrity. s98d7fs is correct.

As posted on LCD website on about lc20:

"....No softening, cracking, peeling, or bleaching of any of the seals or hoses were observed. No dimensional changes in any of the seals or O-rings were to be found. No changes in the moduli of any of the seal materials were observed."...

I also thought this post was on LC in a tranny and not a AutoRX commercial?

Frank,

Auto-RX is a good product as is LC. LC works great in the transmission....you say do not put solvents in there, but have you ever tried working with LC?

LC is not like what your are thinking of...it will not harm the seals or hoses.

Let people decide what they like by giving them info on your product...no need to put down LC.

lcd,

Looking at Franks post on this thread I did not see LC referred to only solvents.I just changed my trans fluid and added Auto-Rx I am leaving it in until next fluid change which will be 100,000 miles and my mileage now is 55,000. 3years ago I put a chemical in my Dodge Caravan trans which had solvents in it 4 months later I spent $2,300 dollars to have it replaced.

The title of this thread is "LC in the transmission". The originator did not want any suggestions on Auto-Rx, Lubeguard, smelling salts or any other product. He has LC and wants to know how to best use it. So in keeping with that spirit, lets get this thread back on track.

Frank,

I personally give credit to ARX for salvaging my neglected auto tranny in the Mazda Protege. It is not known for being the strongest auto tansmission but 95% highway miles and easy driving may have given me a break. It may have gotten a service that I forgot about but even so it was SORELY (preBITOG) neglected. I ARX'ed my other high mileage auto tranny's (2 Nissan p/u's and a Sentra) per ARX instructions and they also are doing very well so far. If the Mazda tranny gives up the ghost tomorrow I'm still 20,000 miles ahead of the game because of the ARX, IMHO. But it is shifting perfectly. Knock on wood. That pre ARX tranny fluid was black (obviously) and the post ARX fluid was not much better. Significant cleaning going on IMHO. Lucky? No lie. Thank you ARX. A little LC20 in a follow up short mileage flush was just an experiment to boost the cheap ATF hoping for a little more cleaning before another short mileage changeout. Heavy lifting was done by ARX. Proof? We don't need no stinking proof! I've seen the light and it's ARX followed by LC20 in crank and tranny. That's my story, etc, etc.
worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back