Anyone Use Supertech ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works great in my old ram. Even cured my hard shift from sitting for four years.

All ATF+4 are the same. Supertech ATF+4 is just as good as Mopar ATF+4. I would not hesitate to use ATF+4 if i owned ANY vehicle that required ATF+3 or ATF+4.

Rest easy using the ST , as it represents and amazing value for the money.

I use ST DEX 6 myself in my vehicle.

Make sure your vehicle requires ATF+3 or 4 before you use it though, its not right for all other applications.

Cannot recommend anything but OE stuff.

Experienced less than ideal in toyotas and honda with anybody except for factory stuff.

Maxlife ATF was good tho.

Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc...best stuff out there...run it in mine! Full synthetic, but not prone to sheering like ATF+4.

ATF+4 is not like Toyota or Honda stuff. Its all made with the same add pack and same spec'd base oils from a very limited amount of suppliers. Its all equal as far as i have read.

If you have a Honda or Toyota you should probably stick with OEM, but for ATF+4 or DEX 6 you can use Supertech products with confidence.

Also it would help to know what vehicle this was going in, because ATF+4 is for Chrysler/Dodge, and i hope thats what you have.

ALL ATF+4 has to pass the SAME tests to be licensed-from the lowliest ST or Coastal right up to Amsoil or RL. I've used the cheaper ones in past minivans & in the Dodges, you'll be fine.

Walmart Supertech ATF+4 is just as good as Valvoline ATF+4 and Mopar ATF+4 (which I believe is supplied by Valvoline) because it *is* Mopar ATF+4

You see, ATF+4 isn't just a spec.

ALL ATF+4 is the same!

Chrysler is such a control freak about this stuff. It's not just performance specs. Chrysler goes further and not only requires specific ingredients, they even specify the suppliers of those ingredients. A specific group III oil from either Shell, Petro-Canada, or SK. The only permitted add pack is from Lubrizol.

So whether you get Mopar from the dealer, or cheap Walmart ATF+4, it's all the same.

Avoid Redline C+ because it's NOT licensed ATF+4, and they engage in childish price fixing.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
ALL ATF+4 has to pass the SAME tests to be licensed-from the lowliest ST or Coastal right up to Amsoil or RL. I've used the cheaper ones in past minivans & in the Dodges, you'll be fine.

+1 ATF+4 is a pretty tight spec. Even brands that just make the approval is going to be a strong ATF. it isn't like the old DexIII/Merc where there can be a big difference between brands and the quality...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Walmart Supertech ATF+4 is just as good as Valvoline ATF+4 and Mopar ATF+4 (which I believe is supplied by Valvoline) because it *is* Mopar ATF+4

You see, ATF+4 isn't just a spec.

ALL ATF+4 is the same!

Chrysler is such a control freak about this stuff. It's not just performance specs. Chrysler goes further and not only requires specific ingredients, they even specify the suppliers of those ingredients. A specific group III oil from either Shell, Petro-Canada, or SK. The only permitted add pack is from Lubrizol.

So whether you get Mopar from the dealer, or cheap Walmart ATF+4, it's all the same.

ATF+4 also a license that is about 15 years old; publically introduced in 1998, IIRC? Which also means that it was probably on the drawing board (so to speak) nearly 18 years ago ...
To put that in perspective, the API engine oil classification back then was SJ. We've seen SL, SM and now SN, all as Chrysler has hung onto "ATF+4" as their "premium" trans fluid. So, while it may have been an industry leading benchmark back in the day, it's no where near class-leading now. There are plenty of fluids that can outperform it, in a sense of what an ATF is supposed to do; many fluids that are not licensed to ATF+4 still lubricate, clean, resist shudder, resist oxidation, resist evaporation, etc, etc. Not for one moment do I think ATF+4 is some magical fluid that no other fluid could usurp. It WAS (past tense) a leader, but is no longer.

The concept of using both performance and chemistry criteria as a matter of license approval is not unique to Chrysler, either. Allison, for one, also does as such with their TES requirements. TES-295 approved fluids are some of the most robust ATFs out there for their application.

There are plenty of fluids that are licensed to this ATF+4 specification; I'm including both performance and content requirements in the term "spec" here. Any of them would make for acceptable use in the correct application. It's just that the least cost option that is licensed will assure the desired "spec" and return the better ROI. Therefore, there is no reason to believe that the ST ATF+4 is superior or inferior in daily use to any other ATF+4 product. It just probably costs less.

Last edited:
I have done a few pan drops and refills on a '97 Voyager with Supertech ATF+4. There was no change in shifting, it continued to shift great.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I have done a few pan drops and refills on a '97 Voyager with Supertech ATF+4. There was no change in shifting, it continued to shift great.

I wish they sold it around here. Walmart in Canada only seems to carry Castrol ATF+4 at a slightly inflated price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back